Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back pocket medical kit?

Site Supporter

Back pocket medical kit?

Hi all,

Part of my new year's outlook is to be better prepared in general. I'm taking a trauma aid course, and am in the process of researching and acquiring an ankle trauma kit. I'm just a normal civilian father and office worker. Nothing special. I'd like to have some sort of very minimalist medical kit I can put into the back pocket of my shorts, pants or jeans as an option if the ankle kit is not doable. Is this even a reasonable idea or will it be so small as to be useless? I'm thinking some sort of thin nylon pouch about the size of a large wallet and not too thick. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with something like this? Thanks for the help.

Chris

I'd suggest looking at ITS tactical or Dark Angel Medical. Both have small kits available. I personally have a few of the DAM kits stashed in cars and pockets when out and about.

Might be some ideas here:

Critique my 2016 GSW/Trauma Kit

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

I'd think assembling your own kit is a lot cheaper than a DAK (although they are nice).

Maybe a SWAT-T, package of Celox, and an OLEAS or Israeli bandage?

Good call on the trauma aid course this year!

I'd recommend looking into one of the Dark Angel Medical pocket kits. They have several different versions available that vary in size and contents. The owner of Dark Angel Medical is high on my list of best people I've met this year.

On buying medical items like tourniquets. Ordering from a know good source will eliminate the chance of getting counterfeits that have a high probability of failing when you need them.

Regarding the ankle kit I'd check mine out (see signature) and see if it fits your needs. If you have any questions regarding the AFAK just shoot me an email. I'll let you know if it'll work for what you're trying to accomplish.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I know the advice on this topic tends to focus on traumatic injury - and a TQ is a great idea, especially for your range bag - but I would honestly prioritize a CPR face mask and baby aspirin over quikclot.

In ERs nationwide, trauma patients account for <17% of all patients - and the vast majority of those are minor or non-life-threatening traumas (lacerations, sprains/fractures/dislocations, contusions from simple assault, etc).... Myocardial infarction (heart attacks) are FAR more common (cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer of men and women in the US) and knowing CPR and having chewable baby aspirin on hand is the best thing an educated bystander can do to be prepared for that.

Just my 0.02 USD

I carry my stuff for me and my family. Others as appropriate. So while I agree with what Nephrology wrote, it is not my purpose.

That said, I have a military green triangular bandage in my back right pocket all the time. It has been folded to maximize the space in my pocket and to keep it as thin as possible. It's primary purpose is as a TQ. I have half a dozen things on me at all times that can be used as a windlass.

It can also be used as a bandage/hankie/sling/headwrap/blah blah blah.

My full trauma kit is in my car. I just can't see carrying more than this on me under normal circumstances.

I keep a SwatT in my back pocket but would like to maybe throw some bandages in with that among other things just in case. I would bet just knowing what to do in certain situations and how to diagnose and act on your feet will put you leaps and bounds ahead of most folks. I understand that I may never see a situation that calls for a tourniquet, and hope I don't, but as I carry a firearm and other weapons on me daily, I think it's only responsible to be prepared in case an accident would happen with them.

Ankle kit, vacuum sealed ifak in my murse, and a CLS sized bag in my vehicle.

If I'm wearing shorts, I typically put a swat-t in a pocket and call it good. Anything more than that is either, 1) too heavy and creates a pendulum effect in my cargo pocket when walking, 2) too bulky and obnoxious to sit on if it's in my back pocket.

YMMV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

SOF-T, some medical tape rolled around an old plastic card, gloves in a small plastic bag. The tourniquet and gloves are obvious, the tape along with the plastic can be used to create a chest seal. Used to also carry hemostatic gauze but the windlass in the SOF-T rubbed the packaging to the point it needs to be replaced, and I'm not sure what products on the market are pocketable.

If you wear slacks or chinos on the regular, an ankle kit should be quite doable. With the bare essentials it isn't really that noticeable.

I pack gloves, celox or quikclot ribbon, a SOFTwide and one of the small sized Izzy dressings into one of the TacMed rigs and it isn't heavier than a loaded mag. I'm looking at getting one of the Ryker carriers when I have a bit of extra coin.

For a pocket I would look at: a RATS TQ, a hemostatic ribbon that is flat packed and some gloves for a baseline tiny kit. I don't think the RATS is ideal, but it is damned compact.

I always have aspirin in a pill bottle on my keychain that holds extra ear pro.

User Tag List