Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 320 RX Torture Test

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't you know the BUIS are for finding the dot but not to actually shoot with.
    I know, I know... but my experience with unreliable open guns and slide mounted RDS has led me to expect that the dot won't actually be there to find.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Just put a few hundred rounds through a buddy's 320RX. The gun was boringly reliable with 130 PF reloads and a Springer guide rod / 14# 1911 spring. The optic is very nice, and large enough that tracking the dot's orbit through the firing cycle was easy. The stock iron sights hit 8" low at 25yds if you use the top of the front blade.
    I believe SIGs are typically set up for "drive the dot" sight picture, vs top of the blade.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    I believe SIGs are typically set up for "drive the dot" sight picture, vs top of the blade.
    Yes, that's what I've found too. It's why the first thing I do with a new Sig is rip the sights off.

So I take it the P320 is good to go?

Good to go as far as I'm concerned. It's my USPSA Production gun of choice right now.

P320#1: 19835 rounds. Replaced extractor after 17000.
    P320#2: 1525 rounds
    P320c#1: 1089 rounds
    P320c#2: 157 rounds

The only failures were some FTEs from the worn extractor that should have been replaced a long time back.

Good to go as far as I'm concerned. It's my USPSA Production gun of choice right now.
    Curious as to why you are gaming a 320 and carrying a 19, given both their similarities and differences.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Curious as to why you are gaming a 320 and carrying a 19, given both their similarities and differences.
    Great question, George. I'll explain how this came to be. Around 4 years ago I realized that I shot 9mm Glocks as well as, or better than 1911s, and had come to distrust the 1911 as a defensive system (no need to dive down that rabbit hole). So, I switched to Glock for competition (G34) and carry (G19), and was very satisfied. The G34 carried me through USPSA B class, but I found myself looking for any marginal advantage to take me to M and beyond. I tried CZs and Tanfos, but they do not fit my hands. As well, I wasn't enthusiastic about the DA/SA system in a carry gun (sorry dude).

Enter the Sig p320. I found the gun more mechanically accurate than a Glock--even with a KKM barrel--and as accurate as anything else I had tried. With a GGI action job, or even just with a polish and removing one sear return spring, the trigger pull is outstanding. I actually like it better than 1911/2011 triggers because it's a 2-stage pull (another rabbit hole that we don't need to go down... it's just my bias. On rifles, I like AI and SSA-E triggers better than Timneys). The auto-reset is a big help in dryfire. I'm really happy with the p320, and am (hopefully) only a couple of solid classifiers away from M.

So, that's how I came to shoot p320s for USPSA Production. Let's talk about carry now. When I got my first 320, I had a really hard time with my index. The 320 grip angle is like a 1911, and it seemed to me that there was no way I could continue to carry Glocks. As I practiced more with the 320, the Glock index began to feel less natural. A bunch of time and $ later, I had switched to p320c for carry. I really like the 320c, but it is a little large for me to conceal comfortably. It's more like a slightly thicker G17 than like a G19.

I got a G19 out of my safe and did some dryfire. My index was spot on! WTF? Somehow my brain has two indexes and doesn't get confused anymore. If you think about it, the support hand index is identical, regardless of grip angle, and that is probably a big part of it. But, I find that I can still draw and index a Glock SHO and WHO. What a cool thing! Now I can carry my favorite defensive gun and compete with my favorite competition gun.

Happy to discuss further.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-04-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Makes sense.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great question, George. I'll explain how this came to be. Around 4 years ago I realized that I shot 9mm Glocks as well as, or better than 1911s, and had come to distrust the 1911 as a defensive system (no need to dive down that rabbit hole). So, I switched to Glock for competition (G34) and carry (G19), and was very satisfied. The G34 carried me through USPSA B class, but I found myself looking for any marginal advantage to take me to M and beyond. I tried CZs and Tanfos, but they do not fit my hands. As well, I wasn't enthusiastic about the DA/SA system in a carry gun (sorry dude).

Enter the Sig p320. I found the gun more mechanically accurate than a Glock--even with a KKM barrel--and as accurate as anything else I had tried. With a GGI action job, or even just with a polish and removing one sear return spring, the trigger pull is outstanding. I actually like it better than 1911/2011 triggers because it's a 2-stage pull (another rabbit hole that we don't need to go down... it's just my bias. On rifles, I like AI and SSA-E triggers better than Timneys). The auto-reset is a big help in dryfire. I'm really happy with the p320, and am (hopefully) only a couple of solid classifiers away from M.

So, that's how I came to shoot p320s for USPSA Production. Let's talk about carry now. When I got my first 320, I had a really hard time with my index. The 320 grip angle is like a 1911, and it seemed to me that there was no way I could continue to carry Glocks. As I practiced more with the 320, the Glock index began to feel less natural. A bunch of time and $ later, I had switched to p320c for carry. I really like the 320c, but it is a little large for me to conceal comfortably. It's more like a slightly thicker G17 than like a G19.

I got a G19 out of my safe and did some dryfire. My index was spot on! WTF? Somehow my brain has two indexes and doesn't get confused anymore. If you think about it, the support hand index is identical, regardless of grip angle, and that is probably a big part of it. But, I find that I can still draw and index a Glock SHO and WHO. What a cool thing! Now I can carry my favorite defensive gun and compete with my favorite competition gun.

Happy to discuss further.
    So thats the whole reason? Because the 320c is slightly larger? Does the gadget play a role in the switch?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List