Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BarSto 40 to 9 Conversion barrels for SIGs

Site Supporter

BarSto 40 to 9 Conversion barrels for SIGs

I have a few questions for those here running BarSto 40 to 9 Conversion barrels in SIGs.

1) What was your experience with fit ? Drop in or fitting required ? Any locking block swaps required ?

2) Any issues with POA / POI due to the caliber change ?

3) Are you running a 9mm recoil spring ?

4) Are you running 9mm mags ?

5) If you are running 9mm mags in a 40/357 P-229, are you suing the 13 round mags or the 15 round 229-1 mags ?

Thanks,

HCM

I had a KKM 40-9 conversion barrel for my P229. It dropped in but any aftermarket barrel may require a little fitting which is a side effect of the manufacturer trying to snug up the tolerances. I noticed a small POI shift with my barrel but that might not always be the case. I used the same recoil spring that came with the gun for .40 but used 9mm magazines. This was before the -1 came out. After awhile I was shooting 9mm almost exclusively and ended up selling the P229 and barrel and getting a P228.

What is the price delta between the conversion barrel and a caliber x-change kit?

On my main 226R, I have both a 9 and 40 top end, and run the 40 upper in Alaska and the 9 upper in lower 48.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is the price delta between the conversion barrel and a caliber x-change kit?

On my main 226R, I have both a 9 and 40 top end, and run the 40 upper in Alaska and the 9 upper in lower 48.
    Thanks. I need to consider that for my Aug trip to AK.

Ken

Site Supporter
    About $225 for the barsto barrel. Caliber exchange kits retail about $379 but they have been very hard to come by during the past year., especially in 9mm.

I've used a couple 40-9 Barsto barrels in my 229. Both dropped in and functioned flawlessly. Since mine were a range only item I never bothered using a 9mm recoil spring and actually used .40 mags. Never skipped a beat.

I own a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel for a 239 .40. Mine was super tight and it required quite a bit of sanding on the locking lug to drop in adequately. It has functioned 100% after my initial fitting though. I didn't need to change out the locking block.

I notice a slightly different POI with 9mm, but it's not significant enough for me to worry about. It'll keep both calibers on the head of an IPSC target at 25 yards without making any adjustment, for example.

It runs 9mm like a sewing machine with the .40 recoil springs and with .40 magazines. It also functions 100% with 239 9mm magazines.

t

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have a few questions for those here running BarSto 40 to 9 Conversion barrels in SIGs.

1) What was your experience with fit ? Drop in or fitting required ? Any locking block swaps required ?
    Grayguns fit a 9mm Barsto match conversion barrel to my early 90's P229 .40S&W. When I sold the barrel to a gentleman with a later model P229, it required further fitment to that slide. Not sure how indicative the Match barrel would be to the semi-dropin.

2) Any issues with POA / POI due to the caliber change ?
    Exact same POI, because Bruce Gray.

3) Are you running a 9mm recoil spring ?
    Yes I ran the 9mm recoil spring, never bothered to try with the .40 spring.

4) Are you running 9mm mags ?
    I had many failures to feed and failures to lock the slide on the last round using my stock .40S&W magazines. Mecgar 9mm magazines made the pistol almost as reliable as stock. I found extraction to be terribly unreliable with Winchester "NATO" ammo for some reason, but fine with everything else.

5) If you are running 9mm mags in a 40/357 P-229, are you suing the 13 round mags or the 15 round 229-1 mags ?
    I used the 15 round Mecgars.

Thanks,

HCM

I have a Bar-Sto for a P226 in .357 Sig. I did need to send barrel and slide back for fitting but it's run perfectly. I am looking for a conversion kit because I heard warnings against using the conversion barrel for carry due to the different extractor. Accuracy is pretty similar to .357 Sig.

.40/.357 Sig mags work fine with 9mm at the range although I wouldn't carry them. The 9mm rounds slop around quite a bit.

Site Supporter
    Thank you all for the replies. I was not aware KKM also made SIG conversion barrels.

I just received a Barsto 229 conversion barrel. This will be a range only set up for me. I tried it in my work gun, a 2005/2006 vintage P-229R. It was snug but fit without any modification. Iope to shoot it this week. I have some P-228 mags and I ordered a 9mm spring just in case but I will try the 40 spring and mags first.

Back during the AWB, I ran my Beretta 92 with 11 round 96 mags. It ran fine with 14 rounds of 9mm.

User Tag List