Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Handgun buying strategy?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    My 'strategery' has more to do with convincing my wife that another SIG 226 is absolutely necessary to my survival on the street. Difficult when the object of desire is a Remington Model 7 in a Short Action Magnum caliber.....But those elk are vicious, man. Jedi mind tricks are usually required here.....And I usually succumb

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    This topic seems to come up an awful lot.
    It is easier to buy a new gun and think that it is buying you skill also.

Beendare, there's a lot of good information passed in here. My personal handgun platform buying strategy, for any gun that I plan on seriously using is:
    -Can I get a proper grip on the gun; do the heels of my palms contact each other, do my other fingers impact any of the controls during normal operation and can I operate the trigger cleanly?
    -Can I get it in multiple sizes; full size/standard/duty, compact & subcompact?
    -Can I get a high-visibility front sight (my vision sucks) for it?
    -Can I get parts/magazines/holsters from multiple suppliers?
    -Can I afford to configure 3 identical guns, 12 magazines(25 for single stack), mirror image holsters sets and user-serviceable spare parts?

I believe I have enough serious use handguns (multiples of the ones I carry) so I'm buying whatever puts lead in the pencil.

3 screw Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt? Yes Please!

I write down the following on a legal pad after handling a sample
    - Pros
    - Cons
    - Budget (5x Magazines, sights, parts, holsters/mag pouch)
    - Use
    - Factoring maintenance and part availability

The one that I typically end up buying is one that can be used in multiple things (USPSA/IDPA/Nightstand/Carry etc.)

The main thing is just to be accountable and practice and the fundamentals which will carry over.

Work: DA/SA is either an M9 or M11

Carry: G19/G17

USPSA/IDPA: WC CQB 9mm or G17MOS or G19

I buy one and then use it for a good 4 years straight. When it falls apart or holds back my skill building I buy a different one.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Wrap it up folks. This thread's over!
    Good one, I got a chuckle out of that.

I think my strategy is going to be always evolving as it has in the past for many of the reasons mentioned. For now, i'm going to try a few different striker fire platforms, pick one and concentrate on it...then see where that takes me.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    sticking with not only one platform, but one actual gun, is the only way to go
    This is an interesting take on the issue.

I have a lot of agreement with you on this subject in general, being a devotee of the one-model approach for myself. But there was a specific point in time when I decided I needed to separate my carry gun from my practice/training/competition/everything-but-carry gun.

Years ago, I was dry firing my Gen3 G17 at home, right before leaving for the day, intending to carry THAT gun. Then the trigger felt funny, and it turned out I had broken out the breechface. I fortunately had an identical G17 ready to go, but I hate to think about how much I might have courted disaster by carrying a gun that close to catastrophic failure. And I have broken more breechfaces since then.

Plus there are various small fire control parts that do accumulate wear, even if I really like how broken-in they feel. Plating getting worn off, edges rounding, the slot in the trigger housing getting a little worn and enlarged, stress and wear not visible to my eyes....all these things can potentially lead to the worst problems - gun failing to fire when it should, firing when it shouldn't, or firing more than it should.

The necessity of maintaining/replacing small parts, which changes some of the deep familiarity stuff I think we are talking about, and the (in my view now) inevitable breakage of major parts, makes me feel like a favorite, individual gun is not feasible for someone who is going to practice a lot. Identical copies sure, but not so much an individual gun, at least not without accepting what I think are some durability risks that I am unwilling to accept.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    ...Essentially, Do you stick to one platform? For the most part, yes.
    Do you think it affects your shooting by switching platforms and the different ergos?
    Nope. I might blame it on the gun but it's me. It's always going to be sights and triggers. My first time around a GM class shooter was watching Bruce Gray take my issued DAO 4586 and make it sound like it went full auto, dumping the mag between the eyes of the target at 10 yards. He hands it back to me and tells me those are terrible guns but it's what they gave you so be prepared to do a lot more work than you would if you had something more shooter friendly. Ever since then, every time I catch myself blaming the gun I hear Bruce's voice in my head.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    This is an interesting take on the issue.

I have a lot of agreement with you on this subject in general, being a devotee of the one-model approach for myself. But there was a specific point in time when I decided I needed to separate my carry gun from my practice/training/competition/everything-but-carry gun...
    I think SLG means one gun as in; G17's only or P226's only. Not only one actual pistol for everything.

I think... and thinking is hard...
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

While owning a decent variety of different semi autos over the years, I have been very consistent in what I actually carry.

1911s and Glocks have been what I carry predominantly for roughly the last couple decades. I eventually ended up carrying the Glocks more than 1911s, but started the other way around.

Other than when I am packing a 4" or 5" N Frame .44, odds are high I will have a G19/17 or G30S, or some flavor of 1911. 9s and .45s pretty much always, with a J Frame BUG.

User Tag List