Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Handgun buying strategy?

Do you have a Handgun buying strategy?

I'm thinking now that I have gone about this all wrong. Owning a hodgepodge of different models seems to be working against my proficiency with the handgun platform.

I think the old saying, "Beware of the man with one gun" makes a lot of sense. Now of course you cannot own 'just one' but I take this as meaning, "One platform". Going from Sig, M&P, H&K, Glock....the ergos are all just different enough to make me wonder why I did that!?

Intended use is of course important, mine would be;
    Self defense/recreational shooting with eventual competitions in the future
    A backup bear weapon for bowhunting in Ak/Mt

So i'm thinking; A couple 9mms; Fs and compact, a .40 and a .45 on a platform with the same ergos
    It seems for a bear backup I can set my SW629 aside for the USP [which I own] in .45 super or one of the 10mm semi autos like the G20,G29....
    To complicate things I'm in Ca....but due to family out of state might be able to do a work around....

Essentially, Do you stick to one platform?
    Do you think it affects your shooting by switching platforms and the different ergos?
    Last edited by Beendare; 12-31-2016 at 12:17 PM.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Proficient is proficient. Doesn't matter the "platform". I think once you get better at shooting it matters less WHAT your shooting.

No need to beware of the guy with one gun if he doesn't practice.
    i used to wannabe

I have a collection of handguns for enjoyment and reference, but 90% of my practice and training classes are shot with one "platform."
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 12-31-2016 at 12:30 PM.

I carry Glocks so all my serious practice is with them. I've got everything I need there (FS and subcompact).

I like shooting DA revolvers so my collection of those will expand, along with a 1911 or two. There's a Model 14 6" that I've got on layaway currently -- need to recoup from the holidays first. Of note, I think that the more dry fire I've done with my J-Frame and Model 10, the better my trigger control across various other pistols has gotten. I noticed the same improvement when transitioning from DA/SA SIGs back to Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Proficient is proficient. Doesn't matter the "platform". I think once you get better at shooting it matters less WHAT your shooting.

No need to beware of the guy with one gun if he doesn't practice.
    Exactly this. 99% of the time I shoot a Glock 17 or 19. I can pick up pretty much any pistol and shoot it reasonably well. It all comes down to consistently correct:
    stance, grip, sight alignment, and trigger control.

All the rest is just nuance. Pick a well-supported platform, take a class and practice what you learned. Then change platforms if there's something you like better.

Until you can clean sub 7 sec on the FAST 100% of the time and score 90 or better on a 25yd B8 100% of the time, you don't need to switch.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    I look at guns like golf clubs - each one has a purpose. You can use a driver to putt with but why? That said, I am trying to reduce the number of platforms and fighting the urge to add pistol to just try the new shiny object - looking at you new CZ striker! One issue that we do not emphasize enough is that it is not just the pistol - it the holsters, new sights, extra mags, mag pouches, and on and on.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    Do you think it affects your shooting by switching platforms and the different ergos?
    I do, as much as possible. I carry a classic P-series Sig and an LCR the vast majority of the time. 870 for shotgun, AR for rifle.

Many disagree with me, and it's likely a function of how much time you have to dedicate to training, but I do not like platform hopping. I want the gun to point the same way, I want the magazine release and slide release to be in the same spot, I want the trigger pull to be the same, etc. when my mind is highly occupied with a chaotic and rapidly evolving situation. What's generally made me change platforms was rules at work or changes to my physical ability.

I'm with BehindBlueI's. Glock 19 or 26 for AIWB carry. S&W 642 for jacket or pants pocket. Remington 870 and M&P15 TS.

Keeps it simple and effective (for my purposes).
    Last edited by blues; 12-31-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I used to hop around. I would rent guns or borrow, set up a drill on the shot timer, and do accuracy comparison. If I did better than what I've trained on for months, I hopped ship to the new platform.

I don't do that anymore. I decided to be a double/single action and was torn between beretta or Sig. Sig won out in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I've done a lot of platform hopping over the last 5-6 years. I just reviewed my notes, and since 2012, I have bought and tested these pistols:

SIG P-225
    SIG 2022
    FNX 9

HK VP9
    HK VP40
    HK UPS FS 9
    HK UPS FS 45
    HK P30LS

G26 Gen3
    G26 Gen4
    G17 Gen 1
    G17 Gen 2.5
    G17 Gen 3
    G17 Gen 4
    G19 Gen3
    G43
    G22 Gen3
    G23 Gen 3

S&W M-638
    S&W M-10
    Browning Hi-Power

I've also rented and tested at least twice as many others, so while I haven't covered the waterfront in the same level of detail as a lot of guys here, I have seen a pretty good cross section of what's out there today. Switching platforms forced me to focus on fundamentals with every change, which improved my performance with everything.

In terms of accuracy, reliability, and durability, I believe that all of these pistols are very good by today's standards, which are much higher than they were even 10 years ago. But I still keep coming back to the G19. For me, it sits in a unique sweet spot for concealment, speed of shooting and manipulation, and accuracy.

I also learned that if I put a case of ammo through a different pistol shooting meaningful drills on a timer, then I can match my performance with a Gen4 G19 in one or two of those areas but not in all of them. So while I haven't stopped looking for new pistols, I have slowed down considerably.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List