Thread: FO Sights early am and overcast

FO Sights early am and overcast

I run FO front/rear on my competition (steel challenge) 9mm 1911. Yes, I need the fiber optics in the rear due to the background at our practice range and not great vision in my dominant eye.

Our practice range is in a shallow valley and this morning with overcast at 10am or so I was getting nothing out of the fibers. What surprised me is that the white dots on my P2000 really stood out. Almost made me think that I should be looking at going back to white dots, but I think I'll just paint white dots on before Monday's practice. While the LEM trigger is a bit long I couldn't miss with that darn little gun.

Has anyone else experienced this with fiber optics.

I love white paint. I dig green fiber optics.

You may want to consider TruGlo TFX sights.

What about kickin it old school with a gold bead front sight?
    i used to wannabe

Like most things, sights are a compromise as well. I am stuck on Trijicon Bright and Tough for my P2000 until something better comes along. Below is a pic of new and old 3 dots.

Name:  tmp_3258-20161207_2118551896188321.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  49.7 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What about kickin it old school with a gold bead front sight?
    I'm struggling with a G17 Vickers with the gold bead front. While I definitely think they pick up light and draw your eyes to the front sight I'm struggling with accuracy. I'm thinking of going back to Heinies

I have the same gun (bought to try out the RTF texture and the Wilson sights) and while I haven't had a chance to give it a workout, I have other guns with gold beads (1911s primarily) and thus some experience. The gold bead works great for "drive the dot" lower light fast shooting (better than an FO in my opinion), but for precision work in daylight, they can create problems. Depending on the angle of the light, the bead can get brighter on one side and less on the other thus moving your point of aim; this is where tip of the front sight must be where your eyes focus. I like gold beads but I'm starting to think that, if not using tritium, then an FO front sight might be overall more useful.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 12-31-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Ameriglo iHack, black rear, big orange dot with tritium center on front.

I very briefly and very unsuccessfully tried a gold bead for USPSA and IDPA. The gold bead washed out against cardboard and light could glint off the edge of the bead causing off center aiming or completely obliterating the sight picture.

User Tag List