Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 197: GM Test

Week 197: GM Test

Week 197: GM Test

Results may be posted until January 30th, 2017.

Designed by: nwhpfan, derived from a Ben Stoeger drill
    Range: 25 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric
    Start Position: Facing downrange, hands hanging naturally
    Rounds Fired: 11

Upon start signal, draw and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone. Time limit is two seconds, with a .3 second grace period. Repeat four times, for a total of ten shots to the lower A-zone. Last, draw and shoot one round to the upper A-zone (no time limit.)

Add up the points you scored for shots fired within the par time and grace period, plus the last shot with no time limit.

For simplicity's sake, if you are shooting 9mm/.38 Spl, you will be scored Minor (A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point.) If you are shooting .357/.40/.45, you will be scored Major (A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points.) No penalty for misses or overtime shots - you just don't get any points for those.

49 out of the possible 55 points is Passing on this test.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits
    Pass or Fail
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Two questions - "Repeat four times" I am assuming you mean "repeat four more times, for a total of 10 rounds" correct?

How do you determine which shot to count if it was overtime? In USPSA rules, you take away one of the best shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    total of 10 rounds
    Yep, ten total shots to the lower A zone.

How do you determine which shot to count if it was overtime? In USPSA rules, you take away one of the best shots.
    That's what I would do too. It wasn't really specified, but let's go with that.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) G17 MOS/Vortex Viper, Fricke Gideon OWB, Kuhl Spyfire jacket.
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits 6, second shot of each pair was over limit. 2.94,2.66,2.65,2.55,2.58
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits Not really sure because I couldn't tell which shots in each pair were hits or misses. Total points were 45 without counting the overtime, so fail either way.
    Pass or Fail Fail
    Observations: anything you noticed Well clearly this drill is beyond my skill level at this time, but it was still worthwhile I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) G17 MOS/Vortex Viper, Fricke Gideon OWB, Kuhl Spyfire jacket.
    Total number of shots fired within the time limits 6, second shot of each pair was over limit. 2.94,2.66,2.65,2.55,2.58
    Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits Not really sure because I couldn't tell which shots in each pair were hits or misses. Total points were 45 without counting the overtime, so fail either way.
    Pass or Fail Fail
    Observations: anything you noticed Well clearly this drill is beyond my skill level at this time, but it was still worthwhile I think.
    So what did you learn as data points about your skill level on this particular drill and with your results? I'm going to make a few educated guesses based on your comments, but I'm curious of your feedback:

1. What was your time to the first shot on each string? I would be interested to see what your average draw time is to a 7,10,15 yard target is. I'm going out on a limb, but I'd guess that your draw may be slow.
    2. You said you weren't sure which shot was in/out. It sounds like you are not "Checking your work through your sights" as Pat Mac says. You should look into the concept of shot calling and try to incorporate that in your regular practice. It's not an exact science ... but it is very helpful. Yesterday I shot a qual and the first round at 25y I knew was left. I felt it when the trigger broke and I saw the sights misaligned to the level I knew they would be off. I adjusted my finger placement on the trigger (as I always forget to do when I'm shooting a damn glock) and I called the next 4 good. Sure enough when we went down to check, I had one shot on the left edge of the center scoring area and the rest were spot on. This is a very important skill as a shooter as you will know the instant the shot fires if it was on target and if you need a follow up.

I think it would also be good feedback to see what people's score was on this. 6 A's, 4 C's, 1D that kind of thing. Diagnosing where those hits were on the target, which shot they were (first or second) and if they were called will give a lot of insight as to skills that need improvement.

Mr. White please let me know if I'm out of line with this. I'll nuke if so.

So what did you learn as data points about your skill level on this particular drill and with your results? I'm going to make a few educated guesses based on your comments, but I'm curious of your feedback:

1. What was your time to the first shot on each string? I would be interested to see what your average draw time is to a 7,10,15 yard target is. I'm going out on a limb, but I'd guess that your draw may be slow.
    2. You said you weren't sure which shot was in/out. It sounds like you are not "Checking your work through your sights" as Pat Mac says. You should look into the concept of shot calling and try to incorporate that in your regular practice. It's not an exact science ... but it is very helpful. Yesterday I shot a qual and the first round at 25y I knew was left. I felt it when the trigger broke and I saw the sights misaligned to the level I knew they would be off. I adjusted my finger placement on the trigger (as I always forget to do when I'm shooting a damn glock) and I called the next 4 good. Sure enough when we went down to check, I had one shot on the left edge of the center scoring area and the rest were spot on. This is a very important skill as a shooter as you will know the instant the shot fires if it was on target and if you need a follow up.

I think it would also be good feedback to see what people's score was on this. 6 A's, 4 C's, 1D that kind of thing. Diagnosing where those hits were on the target, which shot they were (first or second) and if they were called will give a lot of insight as to skills that need improvement.

Mr. White please let me know if I'm out of line with this. I'll nuke if so.
    1)Definitely my draw to first shot time needs work. Same as it is drawing to a 3X5 at 7. On this drill I was running about 1.90 to first shot average.
    2) Familiar with checking my work through my sights, but at 25 I can sometimes see my hits and sometimes not. It depends on the lighting. I understand the concept of calling your shots and am getting better at it. I made sure to do that on this drill. I just didn't report all of that. I had 7A's 1c, and 2D's. Headshot was a B. All of my non A's were to the right. (I am left handed)

Thanks for the feedback.

G19 Gen4, no concealment, in a Blade-Tec Phantom IWB holster at 3:30.
    1.40, 1.76 / 2A
    1.40, 1.75 / 1A 1C
    1.57, 1.97 / 2A
    1.44, 1.77 / 1A 1C
    Head: 1B
    1.44, 1.76 / 2C

Scored 45/55
    Fail

I could have given myself a little bit more time to refine my sight picture. Also, I lost track of what string of fire I was on, so I accidentally took the head shot one string too soon. I figure overall it doesn't really make a difference.

All under time, 9A, 1B, 1C, 51 points, G4 19/RMR Fricke Gideon OWB. Pass.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

CZ/DP Pro, BT OWB, all under time, 10A, 1C, 53, pass. Felt a lot easier with CZ.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ok I'll give this wizard level bullshit a try next weekend. Last year I punched "abort" on the 2nd pair. LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List