Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The J Frame lifestyle

The J Frame lifestyle

I'm pretty sure it was Dagga Boy who coined this phrase over on the revolver forum. Basically it's about not putting yourself in situations you can't get out of with a J frame. (Hopefully he'll chime in and elaborate) I guess you could also call it situational awareness.
    I know as I've grown older I try real hard not to be out late, gas up the cars during the daytime, don't go to ATMs, those kinds of things. I also know we have a lot of LE guys on here and I'd love to see some basic tips and good habits y'all might have to share.
    I'll also leave this from one of my favorites, Hank Hill, (not long after this line you see him locking the car doors at the Dallas City Limit sign-classic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    One of my favorite King of the Hill moments is him locking the doors when he enters Dallas.

Oh just don't get caught in a situation where a five shot wheelie isn't plenty.

Sorry, I missed the prior discussion of that and have never heard that plan put forth.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    One of my favorite King of the Hill moments is him locking the doors when he enters Dallas.
    Which everyone in Dallas already does.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Which everyone in Dallas already does.
    I avoid Dallas. I HATE traffic.

I generally live a j frame lifestyle. A few weeks ago we had two officers murdered and the murderer was on the loose. The scene, where I live, where I work and where he was believed to be are all in less than a three mile radius. I have to admit there were times I questioned my 60 in my pocket but also there were times I felt comforted knowing my hand was in my pocket already.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I generally live a j frame lifestyle. A few weeks ago we had two officers murdered and the murderer was on the loose. The scene, where I live, where I work and where he was believed to be are all in less than a three mile radius. I have to admit there were times I questioned my 60 in my pocket but also there were times I felt comforted knowing my hand was in my pocket already.
    I kinda got trolled by the OP I think. I kept it light I think but I thought it was a real topic vs a platform for the great King of the Hill meme. You just mentioned our recent GA atrocity that illustrates how life can go from a "J frame lifestyle" to a desperate cop killer in a couple seconds. I know the close calls I had were all while I was in a J frame lifestyle cause that's the only life I know (albeit once while carrying a 1911). One of them made me give up the Ruger SP101 as a primary.

I gather the inspiration of this aka Dagga Boy adventures; has a powerful truck with back up accessories to match.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-30-2016 at 08:34 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

While my Glock 19 kept house duty with my wife. I did add my 3" 65 when I went home at lunch. While I had less rounds than if I had been carrying a high capacity handgun I knew where most of the bullets would go if I had to draw.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 12-30-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Back in the 80's the "cool guys" on the job were the ones who got to turn in their issued 2" model 15's for a 2" model 36. It's how you could tell who was who in the pecking order. So when I got one, I thought I was a "made man" in the organized crime sense of the term.

I'd roam the streets of NYC...the Bronx, Brooklyn, Harlem etc with my trusty 5 shot and never felt threatened. I was confident that I could handle any up close and personal threat to my or my partner's well being and thankfully that was always the case.

The FBI shooting at the Suniland Shopping Center, (I transferred to Miami the following year), and the execution of DEA agent Everett Hatcher disabused a lot of us of the notion that a J frame and a speed strip were going to get the job done.

I just this past week bought the first J frame I've owned in 20 years. However, its use, (in my small town and semi-rural lifestyle these days), is very specific as a winter jacket pocket carry, or a pocketable or AIWB convenience when taking the ten minute hike down to the main road to pick up the mail or walking the dog. If I'm leaving home to go to town or off my property, one of my Glocks gets the nod.
    Last edited by blues; 12-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The J Frame lifestyle

I threw in the Hank Hill reference because it does kind of reflect my thinking. If we go to a larger town or city it's because we "have" to. I see people on other forums occasionally talking about how to handle active shooters in malls. The J frame lifestyle solution to that problem is to do your shopping on Amazon and keep out of the damn malls.

P.S and use the Pistol Forum link on Amazon while you're at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 12-30-2016 at 09:47 AM.

User Tag List