Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about ID for FFL pickup

Question about ID for FFL pickup

Hey guys, bit of a noobie question.

I just moved recently but have not updated my driver's license yet.

Is my license with my old address still a valid form of ID as long as it is not expired yet?

Thanks!

No sir. Your ID must have your current address.

Hmm, can I get away with a passport and a valid utility bill with my current address?

I work at a LGS and wouldn't take that. YMMV.....

Gee, I don't know. BATF FAQ says:
    Q5: Is a Social Security card a proper means of identification for purchasing a firearm from an FFL?
    No. A Social Security card, alien registration card, or military identification alone does not contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

It is interesting to me that the state issued drivers license has become the US internal passport.
    A highway patrolman here once said that all a drivers license proves is that the bearer has passed the written and road test. It is not proof of his name, address, or ability to pay his bills.
    But last year instead of simply renewing at the court house, I went to the highway patrol office and presented the extra documentation - birth certificate, SS card, utility bill, insurance policy - to give greater assurance that I was who I said. That got me a STAR ID, a dl with gold star to help convince TSA that I am a legitimate passenger.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Didn't I recently hear that soon you will need a passport for airline ID? I just googled it. Apparently it only applys to states that haven't updated their driver license standards
    Last edited by Poconnor; 12-29-2016 at 12:34 PM.

I thought I heard somewhere that the Supreme Court said requiring I.D. to exercise a Constitutional Right was against the law.....
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Thanks guys, went ahead and updated my address with my DMV. I'll call my local FFL and see if they can give me their requirements, I guess I should of done that in the first place...duh

I have purchased three firearms without a current address on my license.
    When I moved I went to the dmv to update my address and they said I didn't need a new license and they could just update it in the system.

Each time I have done the ffl process they have looked up my address on a website called countyassessor and it shows me as the owner of the property. They have also said they would take a utility bill showing my name. I have always made it clear beforehand that I lived at a different address that what was written on my license.

ETA: this has been through 3 different ffl.
    Last edited by JCS; 12-29-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Gee, I don't know. BATF FAQ says:
    Q5: Is a Social Security card a proper means of identification for purchasing a firearm from an FFL?
    No. A Social Security card, alien registration card, or military identification alone does not contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.

It is interesting to me that the state issued drivers license has become the US internal passport.
    A highway patrolman here once said that all a drivers license proves is that the bearer has passed the written and road test. It is not proof of his name, address, or ability to pay his bills.
    But last year instead of simply renewing at the court house, I went to the highway patrol office and presented the extra documentation - birth certificate, SS card, utility bill, insurance policy - to give greater assurance that I was who I said. That got me a STAR ID, a dl with gold star to help convince TSA that I am a legitimate passenger.
    Military ID (CAC Card) plus PCS orders will work as well.

User Tag List