Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Any further reports on the Night Cobras? I'm wavering between ordering one from a local dealer and picking up one of the several that are on Gunbroker...

Should have added to my earlier post: I'm looking at the Night Cobra as a somewhat-smaller holster carry option to my 2.5" and 3" S&W M66's. I've owned Colt Detective Specials, Agents and original Cobras in the past but currently do not have any DA Colt wheelguns; (it hurts to say that; I once owned a 1927 Colt Shooting Master 38spl. The revolver the Python wished it could have grown up to be... ).

Bumping this thread to see what holster options (Kydex or leather) and what speed loader options people are out there now that these have been out a while.

Site Supporter
    I have found most major holster makers are now making holsters for the new colt cobra. You just have to make sure it says New colt cobra or post 2017 colt cobra. As for speed loaders, they are supposed to use the same as the old DS or cobras, but I haven't found one that doesn't stick somewhat. both the DS HKS and the k-frame safariland comp-IIs both somewhat stick in my colt cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by Rc217 View Post
    Bumping this thread to see what holster options (Kydex or leather) and what speed loader options people are out there now that these have been out a while.

LGS has nib examples of the stainless version for $559 plus tax today, pushed me over the edge. I am looking forward to breaking it in and comparing it to the rest of my D frame collection.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    LGS has nib examples of the stainless version for $559
    I couldn't have helped myself either

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    LGS has nib examples of the stainless version for $559 plus tax today, pushed me over the edge. I am looking forward to breaking it in and comparing it to the rest of my D frame collection.
    Have you got to try it out yet?

Site Supporter
    I bought a new cobra this week. I really like it. The same size as my old d frame Colts.

The hogue grips are little big. I would prefer some smaller, like boot grips. I probably try some vz grips. FYI, old d frame grips and Tyler t grip works on the new cobra.

My d frame speed loaders work in the new cobra.

I’m not a fan of fiber optic sights but the fo sight on the new cobra is the best fo sight I have seen. I would prefer a pf sight paint job or night sight but I’m gonna use the fo for a while.

The new cobra needs some edges smoothed. My needle files will spend some time on the new cobra.

I really like the trigger.

My informal testing showed it is accurate. One informal test was on a small rock the size of a ball cap in the neighborhood of 75 yards away. I hit the rock several times with other rounds landing around the rock as long as I didn’t pull the shot.

My old d frame Colts are retired, the new cobra has taken their place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Serialsolver: Love my Cobra and it is all you say yours is. It's my primary carry with the Kimber K6s backing it up. Nicely fit,, well made handgun in a very usable caliber.

My perfect Snubby search has come close to the finish line. The Night Cobra is out there somewhere, and I'm still waiting on Brownells for the night sight for the Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Have you got to try it out yet?

Yes,
    One of the smoothest out of the box actions on mine that I have seen in many years on a production revolver. I probably have to go back to mid or early '80's S&W K frames since I had an out of the box action this smooth. The geometry of the frame, grip and clearly the action are not the same as the old D frames at all. My first 50 rounds did not feel right but the second 50 rounds I was adapting to this different feel. I put a set of the checkered VZ grips on this thing before I shot it and those seem to work just fine.

Accuracy was decent with Buffalo bore 110gr Barnes standard pressure, Cor-bon DPX (same bullet at +P), and all the wad cutters I previously tested. Everything was within 1" or less of poi/poa at 10 yards.

The very hot (881 fps in my old Dectective 2") 148gr copper plated wadcutter from Choice Ammunition was however exceptional for me, by far the tightest groups and perfect POA/POI relationship, without a doubt it is what I will load when this thing leaves the house with me. I was able to do a 10 yard revolver version of the Vickers test (6 rounds six seconds) and held the black with every shot using the the Choice WC's, that is actually really good for me using a snubby.

My old Safariland Comp II's would not work at all, neither D nor K frame variants, but the D frame HKS speedloaders worked just fine for me.

It fits just fine in my old D frame leather and my SP101 leather, although I will carry it in a Galco bellyband when it leaves the house with me.

I think Colt did an excellent job resurrecting their 6 shot .38 snubby with this gun. I agree with the previous poster about the fiber optic sight. I am normally not a fan of those, but this one is particularly well executed, at least for my use. I have one of the tritium front sights on order from Brownells but might decide to paint the edges of this fiber sight housing orange along with blacking out the rear notch and call it good enough.

I have a spare D frame hammer shroud on hand and it will simply not fit this gun. The frame size is very different and I am not even sure you could adequately tap the holes for a set of screws, even if you did it would not align correctly anyway.

Now if they will just make an alloy version with a 3" barrel and a new version hammer shroud, I will be satisfied....but as all steel snubbies go, this one ain't half bad in my early experience with it. I feel good about the under $600 out the door including tax deal I got on it at a LGS.
    Last edited by fatdog; 03-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.

User Tag List