Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Site Supporter
    Spartan referred to ruining MIM parts by excessively polishing hardened surfaces and exposing softer metal. Hammers and triggers in pre-MIM S&W revolvers had case hardened surfaces that were very, very thin. Aggressive polishing likewise would eat through them. Of course the result was a contact surface that now was soft. One might wonder how S&W fitters dealt with tolerance stacking if they could not grind to fit. It was simple.They reached into their bottomless parts bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    i have found that the MIM guns take the best type of action job really well........lots of dry practice. My 686 SSR has a wonderful action from a ton of dry practice and lots of shooting. It has been my loaner to students at several classes and it chugs along nicely. The lock bothers me far more than the MIM.

The Colts action is very shootable.
    That's kinda what I was alluding to, much less work than in the old days. Just shooting and dryfiring will indeed polish them in nicely especially if left over sprung like the factory makes them. Lighten up the springs a bit and it'll still happen, it just takes longer. I'm right there with you on that damn lock!

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Spartan referred to ruining MIM parts by excessively polishing hardened surfaces and exposing softer metal. Hammers and triggers in pre-MIM S&W revolvers had case hardened surfaces that were very, very thin. Aggressive polishing likewise would eat through them. Of course the result was a contact surface that now was soft. One might wonder how S&W fitters dealt with tolerance stacking if they could not grind to fit. It was simple.They reached into their bottomless parts bucket.
    I don't know what methods or specifications were used by the gun makers back then but .020"-.030" case depth was pretty common and most alloys could get as deep as .060" if the application needed it. If they were going past the case depth, they were doing it wrong or it was heat treated wrong. Today with MIM case depth is much shallower but then it doesn't need to be deeper either since the tolerances held are much tighter.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    I think that S&W case hardened parts were .001 or less in thickness. Anyway, the following link shows a time vs. temperature chart for case hardening. engineersedge.com/materials/heat_treating_steel_13256.htm

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION.

Site Supporter
    I have seen one Cobra each at two gun shows here in VA on consecutive weekends. One priced at $699 and one at $899. Still hoping for a supply increase so the price comes down a bit. $600 would probably hook me. This would be a good communist state LEOSA carry gun.

$899. LoL.

They’ll be everywhere for $649 soon enough. Wait until after shot when the herd has a collective hard on for... whatever else.

Unless Colt comes out with a 3" alloy DAO version.

With the VZ’s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That is an interesting grip shape, DB. Have you shot the Cobra with these grips mounted yet?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Shot it quite a bit Saturday and the whole combo is a total win for me. Shoots good, hits to the sights with 130 +P .38, action is predictable and the gun is reliable and easy to shoot with mild recoil. It is simply a great Snub Revolver. Best description would be like a mid weight Model 64 2”, which is one of the best Snubs ever made for practical use and carry. The 64 2” was the Glock 26 of its day. The Cobra is the wheelgun Glock 43. Best analogy I could come up with.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 11-20-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I really want to try one of these. Have only seen one in captivity and it was sold. Like to know what their accuracy level is. I have a 64-4 2" and it is a great snub. The Vz grips really add some "pizazz" to that flat stainless steel.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 11-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.

User Tag List