Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    That's some fine shooting Sidhe!
    Thanks, man! I remember being pleased when I reeled the card in from the back of the range. It’s not as easy to make holes with at 7 yards as, say, a G17 with a big ‘ol red fiber optic front, but for a snub, I’ll take it. It may be no service auto, but it’s also no 642 j-frame either. Way easier on my eyes and hands...

I just ordered the VZ Cyclone grips in grey and black. We ll see how they work and when they show up. I also found that one holster from Kramer i had for a newer Detective special that was well broken in fits the Cobra really well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I just ordered the VZ Cyclone grips in grey and black. We ll see how they work and when they show up. I also found that one holster from Kramer i had for a newer Detective special that was well broken in fits the Cobra really well.
    Daryl was that a Kramer vertical scabbard? If so how did you like the draw from it?

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    Daryl was that a Kramer vertical scabbard? If so how did you like the draw from it?
    It is a weird crossdraw that works well for me because i like a muzzle forward cant on my Revolver holsters. I will take it out this week and see how it works at the range.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

The VZ Cyclones just arrived. I ll grab a photo at the Revolver round up tomorrow. Looks and feels great. I wish they included a locating pin to help mate the grips up and keep them aligned.

Shot the Cobra a bit today in class. I am super happy with it. It would make an excellent primary carry revolver. I ll try to remember to get pics with the new grips.

Site Supporter
    As a decades long revolver guy that shot mostly Smiths but owned many Colts, I wish to say this. First I've kept up with S&W's advances in manufacturing revolvers and exclaim that the company has made MIM parts work very well. Actually the newer revolvers will out shoot and hold up better than the older guns. The older Colts had complicated and somewhat delicate actions. They were beautiful revolvers, but heavy use would keep them in the shop. My opinion is that Colt has the ability to produce a modern day Cobra that will perform at the highest level. If it does not, MIM parts won't be the reason. The reason(if it should occur)will be poor quality control brought about by short sighted bean counters. So, guys, purchase your Cobra now before somebody else buys the company and screws up a good thing.

MIM parts don't bother me. MIM when done properly is essentially identical for all practical purposes to a forged part. A properly manufactured MIM part will weigh 98% of an identical part from a forging of the same alloy. Metallurgical and heat treat properties are the same except that most parts nowadays are made somewhat soft under the surface for resisting fatigue while the surface itself will be hard. A lot of old school and kitchen table gunsmiths have stoned the hardened surfaces away doing trigger jobs and when the parts fail after a few hundred cycles they are deemed to be inferior pot metal. That's not the case.

A revolver with MIM parts actually requires far less work to tune up, files and stones are basically not needed, it only requires some judicial polishing. Small parts such as hammers and triggers can be held to tolerances that would never be held by normal machining methods and are every bit of on par with wire EDM. All of this is contingent on the MIM process being properly done....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    MIM parts don't bother me. MIM when done properly is essentially identical for all practical purposes to a forged part. A properly manufactured MIM part will weigh 98% of an identical part from a forging of the same alloy. Metallurgical and heat treat properties are the same except that most parts nowadays are made somewhat soft under the surface for resisting fatigue while the surface itself will be hard. A lot of old school and kitchen table gunsmiths have stoned the hardened surfaces away doing trigger jobs and when the parts fail after a few hundred cycles they are deemed to be inferior pot metal. That's not the case.

A revolver with MIM parts actually requires far less work to tune up, files and stones are basically not needed, it only requires some judicial polishing. Small parts such as hammers and triggers can be held to tolerances that would never be held by normal machining methods and are every bit of on par with wire EDM. All of this is contingent on the MIM process being properly done....
    i have found that the MIM guns take the best type of action job really well........lots of dry practice. My 686 SSR has a wonderful action from a ton of dry practice and lots of shooting. It has been my loaner to students at several classes and it chugs along nicely. The lock bothers me far more than the MIM.

The Colts action is very shootable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    MIM parts don't bother me. MIM when done properly is essentially identical for all practical purposes to a forged part.
    I agree. Also, the shape of the barrel:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  13.4 KB
    Sure would indicate to me it is indeed MIM. Making that little contour where it meets the frame I think would create a lotta wasted material, but none if it were injection molded.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-19-2017 at 09:27 AM.

User Tag List