Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Dug the Reichard-tuned K-frame out of the safe late last night to compare: veeeery close. Definitely the same ballpark. The tuned and broken in DAO model 64 has a glassier feel on the return/reset, but the Cobra has a minimally shorter pull and shorter hammer arc. Weight is a toss up. Basically, what the Cobra gives up against the action-tuned K (with a little stacking) it picks up in shorter pull. I can easily live with either—which makes the 7bills OTD that I put into the Cobra seems like less of a vanity. Plus, it's a Davidson's pass through, so if I shoot it loose, I'll have the LGS exchange it for a new one. This may be the start of a beautiful relationship. Time to work up the wheelie chops; passion of the gun and all that.

I have not shot the gun yet, but just got mine. First, mine may be super temporary as my girlfriend instantly fell in love with it. Between the sights, grips, and trigger, she thinks it is awesome. I may need to get another one. Fit and finish.....I hate this term about a working gun because compared to my high end bespoke stuff, it is a joke. As far as an assempbled production gun...the finish is...well....blasted stainless. Cheap, rusts worse than the polished stainless, but it is okay for what it is. With that said, the action is really good, and everyone at the gun shop who looked at it and the first thing I noticed is how smooth the cylinder opens and closes and the lock up is really good. Also, with many Revolvers, if you short stroke them they will rotate the cylinder and pass a round. This one will not fire, but also does not rotate the cylinder. I will call that a plus for most folks.
    Overall first impression. It is a really nice general purpose carry gun that would be a good fit for a ton of people. This may replace the 442 in my girlfriends purse if she gets her way. We will shoot it next week along with the 442. I may end up selling my last 640 Pro to replace it with another Cobra.......or something else I saw at the gun shop while I was picking it up....;-). Basically, won't replace any of my lightweight J frames, but will replace the 640 Pro.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    First, mine may be super temporary as my girlfriend instantly fell in love with it...
    Really nice of you to get your GF a new Halloween gat, DB.

I’ll be most interested to hear your impressions after a range outing. I was thinking of you when I first got mine, because of your more in depth prior statements about general purpose guns for general public folks... if Colt follows through on some of the noise in the wind, and releases other versions, they might hit the target square on. This exact gun with a 3" tube and DAO option might be one of the best ever for the sock drawer crowd, right?

Get with your buds at VZ; they told me they’d send me an email when those prototype G10 grips seen in SHOT photos become available.

The matte finish has been the main drawback for me, however, I came across this service from Patriot

https://www.gunspolishing.com/colt-r...irror-polished

About $375 I read somewhere.

Video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NTV9t-fShQ

Not cheap, but I am attracted to shiny things
    Last edited by FPS; 10-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    When I see gun where the roll marks have been polished, I assume it's because it got beat to heck or rusted well past freckling and then refinished.

It would also suck to inadvertently flash the sun in your eyes and give yourself a temporary blind spot just when that really wasn't needed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Polishing stainless isnt that difficult if one has patience. Its pretty forgiving to work on. Not power buffing roll marks or stampings or edges will keep it from looking like a bubba disaster. Hand polishing can get it done and keep it from looking ruined.

Just saw my first one at a gun store. Lock up was super tight, that front sight was practically yelling “ look at me” and oh baby what a trigger! It was okay I guess [emoji3] I know it’s close in weight to the SP101 but it didn’t feel like it, it felt light. With smaller grips it might work in certain pockets but as it stands it’s got truck and nightstand gun written all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at some of the larger photos in this thread of Patriot’s work and you can see the stamping is intact

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...olvers-15.html

Thanks for the link. According to a number of posts in that thread, these guns are assembled at Colt, but manufactured elsewhere. Had not heard that before now.

Yes, there is also a big discussion over there about the barrel. DPris, who is a highly regarded (from what I gather) and well connected industry writer says the barrel is MIM from a source at Colt. That may or may not be an issue, time will tell.

User Tag List