Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Got to handle a new Cobra yesterday. Good weapon, Hogues felt good and action was acceptable. Finish was mat and plain and the red optic was nice. Store wanted $699. Action smooth a constant pull all the way through. I'll get one, have some medical bills that are diverting my gun funds at the moment.

That is just... epic!

Regrettably, I only have one like to give.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That is fucking awesome. Did Oleg Volk's grand dad do that?
    Don't know about that, it was on Faceyeech.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Originally Posted by Stephanie B
    LGS wants MSRP ($699).
    A reasonable encouragement to let others beta test for a few months. Either there will be a lot of these out there in a year, or there will be issues with production in the interim. Regardless, I don't think you can lose by standing pat. You'll either get a better deal, or you won't want one. JMO.

Now, of course, *I* really want one. But I think I'll see how it goes first.
    Another LGS has one discounted by $30. Resisting......
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    30 percent is a discount. $30 shouldn't sway you.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    If the current Colt team went to their archives to research technical data on chamber and barrel throat specs, the revolver should prove to be keen and dandy. With Colt's revolving door of recent years, nothing would surprise me. Now that I have been negative, I must say that I want one too.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    30 percent is a discount. $30 shouldn't sway you.
    $30 isn't much off, but 30%? I can't see them going for $499.

Handled a Colt Cobra and a Kimber K6s for the first time today.

Colt has the best revolver trigger I have ever felt - better than my Smiths (including my Pre-Model 15 Combat Masterpiece from the 50s). Grip was great, front sight was good, wasn't crazy about the finish, didn't like the cylinder release (gritty). Size felt perfect. If they come out with other finish options, it will be hard to not buy.

Kimber looked prettier and had a nicer cylinder release but that was the only thing I liked better.
    Last edited by FPS; 08-08-2017 at 10:11 PM.

What can I say? I'm weak. My favorite LGS owner shot me a call to let me know that they got a Cobra in, so I went to have a look. Not only did he call me, but he took a few bucks off, so...

One thing I failed to consider during my impulsive shopping: ammo. While I'm sitting on 1k of various "FBI" loadings (mostly Federal, with a couple hundred Remington for snubs thrown in... even some left over CorBon +p+ "RMC" loads), I found that I have shockingly little jacketed ammo. I shot up my last big order of bulk ball with a Denny Reichard-tuned NY-1 I picked up a few years back, so all I had on hand for indoor use was a partial box of 129 gr Hydra-shok. I was short on time after multiple stops anyways, so what I have to show for the outing is a few cylinders: me, the Cobra and a 4x6 card hastily taped to some bright printer stock to catch the strays. First 6 at 7, then walking back to the end of the range (I think it's 50 feet). The trigger is *fantastic* in actual use, and a fiber optic FS on a wheelie with overhead lighting is a revelation for my objectively crappy eyesight. I can't wait to order up some "canned heat" or something, and head back for another round thing outing. I could come home to wheelies again; the feel is wonderful, if not leisurely.

Finish is fine for what it is (blast matte), and the lock up is great on this example too. +P recoil is more focused and immediate (obviously) in the wheelie, but really no worse than my G26 that I also stuffed in the bag. Did I mention that the trigger is just excellent for DA work? The grouping is all me, and the effect of a mostly-Glock/1911 diet for the last couple of years (my DA chops have melted, what of them there were), but even with little/scattered recent wheelie time, the trigger and red FO almost work themselves. When I get a moment, I'll pull my benchmark tuned K-frame out of the safe and compare, but my initial sense is this new snake is good to go right out of the box. Grips are big for the gun, with all that implies pro and con–they certainly feel great to my hands. I even have a like-new, old-school summer special type holster by Elmer McEvoy that he made for an SP101 that I never carried and sold (perfect fit, with a little stretching around the bigger trigger guard) so I was feeling late-80/early90s cool on the way home. So far, I really like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I also picked up a Cobra this week. I am a snub junky and have several. I haven't got it to the range yet but like it a lot. Fit and finish are excellent and it locks up tight and has probably the best trigger of all my snubs which include S&W both std and PC, Ruger and Kimber.

User Tag List