Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

So, nondisclosure agreement referenced earlier noted January 1 as day things go public. Any info that hasn't been leaked prematurely?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If this thing works and doesnt suffer from bad QC I will be on that thing like white on rice.

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    The last version of the detective special was 25oz unloaded. That's a steel frame six shot revolver. The new cobra is the same weight as the discontinued detective special.

So really they should have named the new cobra, the new detective special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep. If carried and used like the Detective Special was since the Depression and earlier, it is quite a good thing for many non-dedicated shooters. I have said for a long time for most people in this country, a 3" .38 k frame is likely the best gun for them. Simply go to a public range, basic CHL class and watch the gun handling from the TV trained. That is with the "shooters" of America. Most cannot safely to a loaded chamber verification on a semi auto pistol. Should your average non-dedicated gun owner be using a firearm that they cannot even determine if it is loaded or not. "Non-dedicated" is not an insult, it is a reality. People have a right to defend themselves with a firearm in this country....there is no payment or expectation of training, or competency for that right. Many choose to excersie this right without paying much mind to the consequences of firearms ownership for self protection with only television to train them. For many of those people, the new Colt is likely a good choice. By our standards....maybe a miss. For many others, a good choice. Think of a .38 only SP 101 weight gun with six rounds for a nightstand gun or glovebox carry that is the mainstay of regular folks. Anyone wonder why j frames are a top seller and yet horrible for a beginner. They are convenient talismans for the non dedicated in many cases. I think Colt got part of this right for a certain market. I would like to see a 3" variant. I wish it was called something related to the Detective Special name and Cobra saved for a lightweight version that is more practical as a dedicated shooters gun, but marketing folks not giving a crap what the serious folks in the industry think is a bit of a standard across the board.

I look at the appeal of the new Cobra to be for the decent counter person at a gun shop to have a solid defensive revolver to recommend to folks looking for a nightstand gun that is easy for administrative handling for those whose entire training will be from the person at the gun shop, versus selling them a zombie fantasy gun or the old stand by itty bitty little something for the little lady that is a disaster waiting to happen or a pistol grip Mossberg for the man of the house.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 01-01-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I can understand/agree with the grumbling about the name, but as a whole, I personally really like they idea of this little revolver and will most likely own one.

I also wish they'd make it a 3" but I think more of the buying market will buy a 2" vs 3"

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, BBI. I guess even worst case scenario the (serrated) Dawson sight would still perform as you describe above...

There is a post here somewhere about the correct method to install a fiber optic. Apparently it has a lot to do with the longevity. I THINK i remember the info actually being on Dawson's website somewhere.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    There is a post here somewhere about the correct method to install a fiber optic. Apparently it has a lot to do with the longevity. I THINK i remember the info actually being on Dawson's website somewhere.
    Thanks, UNK. I already have mine installed on a 686+ and I like it quite a bit. I was simply asking because I was curious about the durability on guns used in service or for daily carry. (Dawson also sends a spare FO tube in green. The red was installed already when received.)

As mentioned, my 686+ is only an occasional carry / range gun. Mostly it's a HD firearm for my wife to use under the contingency plan I've set up.

(And I think you're right about the DP site having a lot of info regarding choosing and installing the proper FO.)
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Even if this and the K6S turn out to be let-downs, maybe it will light a fire under Ruger to make that 6-shot .38 LCR people have been asking for. Or make something akin to the old Security Six.

So, basically it's a thick, six-shot G-19?

G-19:
    L = 7.36 in.
    H = 4.99 in.
    W= 1.18 in.
    Weight (unloaded) 23.65 oz
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post

G-19:
    L = 7.36 in.
    H = 4.99 in.
    W= 1.18 in.
    No. The G19 is proven.

Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post

G-19:
    L = 7.36 in.
    H = 4.99 in.
    W= 1.18 in.
    On paper.....yea, for the competent and trained shooter it is not a good choice. For the folks who shoot cans once a year at best, are afraid to carry with a loaded chamber, use a "multi fit" $14 nylon holster, and have Hollywood trigger finger discipline and a "don't worry, it's unloaded" mentality about firearms safety.....your numbers mean nothing.

I believe there is a thread reference the best selling semi autos.....Ruger LCR's (you can get them in purple, which is important), and those are great for mothers and grandmothers according to Breitbart. Let's just say I am not in that camp.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List