Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Vending Machine Operator
    So, I'm gonna rain on the parade a little having just looked at the weights.

Yes, the new Cobra is very sexy, but...

25oz unloaded. The original Cobra was 15oz unloaded, the 642 is 15oz unloaded, the LCR is 13.5oz unloaded, the SP101 is 25-26oz. unloaded. Model 60 is 23.2oz. unloaded.

So really they've made a gun much closer to the SP101 or Model 60 than the original Cobra. I'll still probably buy one and it looks fantastic, but as a carry revolver that weight is a bit of a letdown.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 01-01-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post

25oz unloaded. The original Cobra was 15oz unloaded, the 642 is 15oz unloaded, the LCR is 13.5oz unloaded, the SP101 is 25-26oz. unloaded. Model 60 is 23.2oz. unloaded.

So really they've made a gun much closer to the SP101 or Model 60 than the original Cobra. I'll still probably buy one and it looks fantastic, but as a carry revolver that weight is a bit of a letdown.
    Hey, if you're gonna go 13.5 for LCR, I want 14.4 for the 642.
    Last edited by blues; 01-01-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hey, if you're gonna go 13.5 for LCR, I want 14.4 for the 642.
    Haha! Fair enough!

I sometimes think I didn't give my 642 enough of a chance (like 50 rounds) but that metal backstrap bit my hand a lot more than the Hogue tamer on the LCR and I liked the LCR trigger better.

I suppose I could've just put a Hogue on the 642 and tried that before trading it. Hm. Would still carry my PPS which is 9mm, higher cap, and carries flatter, but I no longer have a J-frame type option on hand and I miss that.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 01-01-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Haha! Fair enough!

I sometimes think I didn't give my 642 enough of a chance (like 50 rounds) but that metal backstrap bit my hand a lot more than the Hogue tamer on the LCR and I liked the LCR trigger better.

I suppose I could've just put a Hogue on the 642 and tried that before trading it. Hm. Would still carry my PPS which is 9mm, higher cap, and carries flatter, but I no longer have a J-frame type option on hand and I miss that.
    You wanna laugh, I'm just coming back from having had 16 stitches in the heel area of my right palm and I was really concerned that I wasn't going to be able to abide any recoil. Oddly enough, it doesn't bother me in the least. I only put about 30 rounds through the 642 a few days ago but it was enough to know I was good to go.

(And I'm extremely thankful. It's a terrible feeling waiting a couple of months on pins and needles not knowing if you can go back to something you enjoy doing so much, let alone weight training, protecting family etc. The docs said there could be nerve damage and it wouldn't be known to what extent until it was safe to begin using the area under stress. I'm a lucky man.)

Glad to hear you are recovering well.

Site Supporter

The last version of the detective special was 25oz unloaded. That's a steel frame six shot revolver. The new cobra is the same weight as the discontinued detective special.

So really they should have named the new cobra, the new detective special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw the weight listed this morning before church so I decided I'd leave the 642 at home and carry the SP101 in my pocket instead. It's a load and I'd hate to try it without suspenders or in something with more restrictive pockets than what I had on but it was do-able. Depending on how I like the feel of it I can see this replacing my SP101.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    The last version of the detective special was 25oz unloaded. That's a steel frame six shot revolver. The new cobra is the same weight as the discontinued detective special.

So really they should have named the new cobra, the new detective special.

I own a DS and I have no idea how I didn't think to draw that comparison. You're quite right.

Keep healin' up blues!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Glad to hear you are recovering well.
    Thank you, sir. That means a great deal to me.

I own a DS and I have no idea how I didn't think to draw that comparison. You're quite right.

Keep healin' up blues!
    Thanks, LB. I'm good to go. I'm back at the weights, shooting again, wrestlin' with the dog etc. I have some unusual sensitivity in the area to certain types of pokes, prods or abrasion but a lot of it is being mitigated by me desensitizing the area via various exercises. Other than that, heat, cold, shooting, lifting...all good.

Thanks much for the good thoughts.

User Tag List