Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Sigh...

Attachment 78008

Now to figure out ammo; I thought I had a few boxes of 38, turns out it's only 15 rounds...whoops. Bad time to try to stock up on a "new" caliber..
    https://normashooting.com/shop/calib...eid=74e0f0b58e

Use code RANGE for 10%off. I just got an email today. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    https://normashooting.com/shop/calib...eid=74e0f0b58e

Use code RANGE for 10%off. I just got an email today. Good luck.
    Thanks!

Way better than the $149.99 the local shop wanted for a 100 round box of Armscor 38 Special.

Edit - different shop than the one that had the Cobra in stock...I stopped in the alternate store first to see what they had. Ammo, yes, Taurus 856 (several copies), yes....Colts, no. Decent prices grounded in reality, no.

Got it to the range this morning...again, I am not a revolver guy, so lots of learning occurred

I also went out with my old K-frame 19-7 (post pinned/recessed but before MIM hammer/trigger; the hammer has the firing pin in it, vs a flat faced hammer, if that helps narrow it down?) as a control; I reinstalled the giant rubber Hogue grips it came with when I bought it used from a gun show many years ago. I went out with 15 rounds of Fiocchi 158gr leadless "FMCFN" rounds in a green box (Which they don't appear to sell anymore; I can't find any on their website or from vendors and the box doesn't have a specific model or load number on it), and 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle AE38B 158grn lead round nose.

The Fiocchi was noticeably thumpier than the AE.

Of the 115 rounds of 38, 18 of them went through the K-frame at random intervals; the rest through the Cobra. The nice thing about the Cobra; once I figured out how it wanted the sights to be aligned (on my copy, it sort of wanted the white ball in the notch vs the tops aligned at the ~30 feet I was shooting), it was printing vertically where I wanted it to...well, until later, but I'll get to that

Being an Auto shooter...not really used to how much force you need to grip one of these things with, otherwise it'll move around a lot. At the end of this session, I had learned that it can bite you just as much as an auto if you're not careful...

Name:  IMG_1086-cropped.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  41.7 KB

By the end of the rounds, the last 24 rounds weren't hitting shit and it was driving me nuts. I wound up walking up to 7 feet away from the 3x5 cards I was shooting at and found that when I was holding dead center, it was tickling the far left edge of the card. I held the thing up, looked to see if somehow the barrel had canted or something else had broken in there...(again, not a revolver guy, I don't really shoot factory lead ammo...)

I'm assuming this is what people mean when they say "leading the bore"

Name:  IMG_1088-cropped.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  35.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1090-cropped.jpg
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1098-cropped.jpg
Size:  80.9 KB

I noticed this as well, I'm guessing this is also just lead vapor that collected and can be scraped or brushed out:

Name:  IMG_1095-cropped.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  42.4 KB

One thing I noticed comparing the Smith to the Cobra...the Smith was a lot "blastier"; by that I mean there was a way more noticeable amount of gas escaping between the cylinder gap than the Cobra. The Colt in comparison didn't really leave much of a cloud in it's wake...I wouldn't put a thumb by the cylinder gap, don't get me wrong, but it really wasn't nearly as smoky or blasty as the Smith was with the same ammo.

The Smith, especially with the rubber Hogues on it, was much more planted and much softer than the Cobra. Not that the Cobra was terribly uncomfortable (probably closest comparison I could give would be something like a P229 in 40 with the Fiocchi?), but the Smith was much more pleasant and didn't move around nearly as much.

One thing's for sure...LRN in this is a no-go, or at least the American Eagle 158gr LRN is a no-go. Sample size of one, inexperienced sampler, YMMV, yadda yadda...

That’s a LOT of lead! 😳😳😳

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Yup, considering ordering one of those...right now I'm on plan B - plan A was scrub the hell out of it with the usual brass brush and Hoppes, and scrub around the barrel/frame with a brass brush...it got a lot of it, but not all. Plan B is trying something I read about years ago; someone figured out if they scrub with Kroil or some other penetrating oil it'll get underneath and loosen up the heavy stuff as well...so I scrubbed the bore with that for a bit, and now it's resting. I'll come back at it later and see if it worked or not.

At least the ammo I ordered yesterday is all brass, no lead...not gonna make that mistake again!

Get some copper chore boy pads. Cut some off with kitchen shears or smallish tin snips and wrap your brush with that. It'll make short work of that and peel the lead right out.

Click right here

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Get some copper chore boy pads. Cut some off with kitchen shears or smallish tin snips and wrap your brush with that. It'll make short work of that and peel the lead right out.

Click right here
    You mean Chore Boy has a use outside of being sold with those little tiny roses in little glass vials at gas stations?!

You mean Chore Boy has a use outside of being sold with those little tiny roses in little glass vials at gas stations?!
    Yep!

That's what I use.

I've never had much luck with factory swagged lead loads. My hard cast reloads are fine.

How do you like it?

User Tag List