Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Site Supporter
    Has colt ever explained why they changed the trigger guard and grip frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Has colt ever explained why they changed the trigger guard and grip frame?
    Making the revolver friendlier for "gloved hands" was the explanation (or at least one of them) for this unfortunate design decision. This is a classic example of a solution in search of a problem. The old D frame revolvers were the best looking small frame revolvers of all time. This made the guns an eyesore and failed to take advantage of the existing D frame grips and holsters that were already on the market. Some folks have made certain grips fit, but the success seems to be quite limited. Calling a new Detective Special a "Cobra", and a new Magnum Carry a "King Cobra", has also caused great confusion (e.g. folks buying old King Cobra grips/holsters).

Now that CZ has purchased Colt, hopefully we will see a new Diamondback and/or Detective Special lineup that has the original trigger guard and grip frame. A .38/.357 Diamondback lineup, in particular, would be a license to print money.
    Last edited by JWintergreen; 07-13-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWintergreen View Post

Now that CZ has purchased Colt, hopefully we will see a new Diamondback and/or Detective Special lineup that has the original trigger guard and grip frame. A .38/.357 Diamondback lineup, in particular, would be a license to print money.
    It would be nice if they got rid of the MIM circle on the trigger. Ewww….

Local gun shop, same place I scored my Python, received 4, standard 3" King Cobra's in this week. In fact, the cases had more guns in them than I've seen in months. Inventory has been coming in all week long they told me.

BTW, trigger pull on the King Cobra was very nice. I kick myself for not paying attention to revolvers for so many years. Why didn't any of you mention anything about them?

Inkwell, name of that gunshop, please?

So my LGS has two Night Cobras in stock...one new, one used; the used one is a Colt Cobra Special; took some digging to find what it was since it didn't have a bobbed hammer. It's basically a standard Cobra with the DLC coating and different stocks/sights...or, if you look at it the other way, it's a Night Cobra with different stocks, sights, and retains the hammer spur and ability to thumb cock it into SA mode if you wish.

I'm not a revolver guy...my only wheelgun is an old mid-80s Smith 19 (post pinned/recessed but pre mim hammer I think) and while it's pretty nice with 38s, it's...not fun with full boat 357s. Something about those Colts though sing to me

Would I be giving up anything by going with the DAO Cobra, or would it be better to retain the SA ability and hammer spur? This would be a backup/pocket/"I'm going to the gas station in some sweatpants and really don't feel like throwing on a belt just to get a gallon of milk" gun...and, a learning opportunity as I don't really shoot revolvers much as I don't really like the Smith. It's not bad, it's just...not for me. It feels weird I guess. I got it cause it was dirt cheap (less than 2 bills at a gun show) and I'd be dumb to turn that down; not because I wanted or needed it. That Colt though...that, I think I do want and handling it at the gun store, it didn't feel nearly as out of place in my paw as the Smith does. Maybe it's the giant rubber Hogue stocks on the Smith, maybe it's me, I dunno.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    So my LGS has two Night Cobras in stock...one new, one used; the used one is a Colt Cobra Special; took some digging to find what it was since it didn't have a bobbed hammer. It's basically a standard Cobra with the DLC coating and different stocks/sights...or, if you look at it the other way, it's a Night Cobra with different stocks, sights, and retains the hammer spur and ability to thumb cock it into SA mode if you wish.

I'm not a revolver guy...my only wheelgun is an old mid-80s Smith 19 (post pinned/recessed but pre mim hammer I think) and while it's pretty nice with 38s, it's...not fun with full boat 357s. Something about those Colts though sing to me

Would I be giving up anything by going with the DAO Cobra, or would it be better to retain the SA ability and hammer spur? This would be a backup/pocket/"I'm going to the gas station in some sweatpants and really don't feel like throwing on a belt just to get a gallon of milk" gun...and, a learning opportunity as I don't really shoot revolvers much as I don't really like the Smith. It's not bad, it's just...not for me. It feels weird I guess. I got it cause it was dirt cheap (less than 2 bills at a gun show) and I'd be dumb to turn that down; not because I wanted or needed it. That Colt though...that, I think I do want and handling it at the gun store, it didn't feel nearly as out of place in my paw as the Smith does. Maybe it's the giant rubber Hogue stocks on the Smith, maybe it's me, I dunno.
    I’m sure someone will help you out with finding that M19 another home. I have owned one Colt d frame revolver, and enjoyed it, but now own only S&W in double action revolvers, and the Kframes are my favorites. I’d happily give you $100+shipping over what you paid for the 19.

My most carried pocket gun is a DAO revolver. For the role you describe, I think DAO is not a shortcoming, and those Colts are nice.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

For a pocket gun, DAO is the way to go. IMO.

Site Supporter
    For what you're wanting the gun for, the single-action capability is unneeded and the hammer spur can get in the way. I'd go with the DAO version.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I’m sure someone will help you out with finding that M19 another home. I have owned one Colt d frame revolver, and enjoyed it, but now own only S&W in double action revolvers, and the Kframes are my favorites. I’d happily give you $100+shipping over what you paid for the 19.

My most carried pocket gun is a DAO revolver. For the role you describe, I think DAO is not a shortcoming, and those Colts are nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    For a pocket gun, DAO is the way to go. IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    For what you're wanting the gun for, the single-action capability is unneeded and the hammer spur can get in the way. I'd go with the DAO version.
    Thank you all for the input...some other questions:

How "comfortable" would it be to practice with? I hear things from "they're soft shooting" to "it's like hitting your palm with a bat at every shot"...this is something I'd also be spending quite a bit of time with at the range as I'm "new" to revolvers (I mean I can hit what I am at, eventually, but it's not as intuitive as a 1911 or DA/SA HK P30 just yet). That's one of the reasons I was questioning whether it'd be worth it to keep the SA functionality.

One of the reasons I'm not looking directly at a 357 in that form factor (as a lot of guns are geared for that) is, my K frame Smith - I forgot to mention it's a 4" barrel - is a handful and unpleasant with Speer 125gr 357 Gold Dots...I couldn't imagine something half the size and weight launching those things.

I'm sort of leaning towards the Special (or DA/SA with brass sight) one simply because of the price difference...the differential there would get me another...uh...80 rounds...of ammo to practice with.

Edit - yes I'm somewhat hoping y'all can talk me out of this stupid thing I probably don't need
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 10-03-2021 at 05:26 PM.

User Tag List