Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

New video from Shot Show. Around 25 seconds in the Colt VP says something to the effect of "all of our future small revolvers will fall under the Cobra name". So I'm guessing Cobra Lightweight or some other name to differentiate the future alloy models...I hope. https://youtu.be/jZhJYHE9dH8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I see just advantages over both the old D frames - this lockwork seems stouter, simpler &, suprisingly, smoother than the old Colts. Its bigger & heavier than a J frame - that issue swings both ways.
    I'm VERY excited about the upcoming expansion of available holsters & accessories for the D frame!

I probanly couldve been clearer. I meant from a carry and shooting point of view. As in it easier to shoot than a J frame and harder to carry.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

So I've thought about the "future small revolvers" line. Here's a prediction, to go along with the one debuted this year I think they'll have a lightweight alloy DAO version. Then I think they'll put out a 3 inch version with adjustable sights chambered in 357 magnum. I think anything with a barrel over 3 inches will fall in the new 'Python' sized frames. Then I think you get into different finishes and chamberings but I think thats the three basic models. That gives you a steel snub to practice with, a alloy one to carry, and a OWB semi duty sized one that would compete with the K frames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    .... That gives you a steel snub to practice with, a alloy one to carry, and a OWB semi duty sized one that would compete with the K frames.
    And maybe a .22. Six shots and no internal lock may make it a J-frame killer for all but the wheelgun-tyro market (along with MA & CA).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I got to handle and dry fire the Cobra at SHOT. My impressions follow.

Stocks are thoughtfully sized. Big enough for a solid grip, not too big for any but pocket carry.

Sights are a real improvement. I especially like being able to change the front blade at user level.

Trigger action was better than older guns. Fairly smooth and light, light stacking at the end. Less stacking than older Colts.

Too heavy for me for a snub. Needs an alloy frame version badly.

I did not get the shoot the gun, however, three different people I trust did shoot it on range day and all three had misfires on the test range. I was told there were two samples on the test range and both had repeated misfires.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post

Stocks are thoughtfully sized. Big enough for a solid grip, not too big for any but pocket carry.

Sights are a real improvement. I especially like being able to change the front blade at user level.

Trigger action was better than older guns. Fairly smooth and light, light stacking at the end. Less stacking than older Colts.

I did not get the shoot the gun, however, three different people I trust did shoot it on range day and all three had misfires on the test range. I was told there were two samples on the test range and both had repeated misfires.
    Tuned a little too well to impress the people who will be writing up SHOT reviews?

Well, that pretty much describes Colt's effort... :-)

Dunno know about you, but I'm not surprised... :-)

Site Supporter

Wonder what kind of ammo was being used. In my revolver days, one particular commonly used brand of remanufactured ammo produced a lot of misfires (as well as hangups during cylinder rotation) for me.

Somewhere in one of the videos, I think, I saw some Double Tap ammo that had Colt branding on the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, that pretty much describes Colt's effort... :-)

Dunno know about you, but I'm not surprised... :-)

I hope this is not what we can expect in final production.

User Tag List