Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt Cobra

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    This might be my first new Colt revolver purchase since 1983 if the street price is not stupid expensive.
    LGS wants MSRP ($699).

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    LGS wants MSRP ($699).
    A reasonable encouragement to let others beta test for a few months. Either there will be a lot of these out there in a year, or there will be issues with production in the interim. Regardless, I don't think you can lose by standing pat. You'll either get a better deal, or you won't want one. JMO.

Now, of course, *I* really want one. But I think I'll see how it goes first.

I dunno. Cylinder still turns in the wrong direction.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    A reasonable encouragement to let others beta test for a few months. Either there will be a lot of these out there in a year, or there will be issues with production in the interim. Regardless, I don't think you can lose by standing pat. You'll either get a better deal, or you won't want one. JMO.

Now, of course, *I* really want one. But I think I'll see how it goes first.
    A wise course of action, yes. Especially in these days of using the first customers as unpaid testers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Originally Posted by Stephanie B
    LGS wants MSRP ($699).
    A reasonable encouragement to let others beta test for a few months. Either there will be a lot of these out there in a year, or there will be issues with production in the interim.
    Based on the teething issues of the Ruger GP100-.44. I'm inclined to agree.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I dunno. Cylinder still turns in the wrong direction.

Or, finally, a new revolver where the cylinder turns in the correct direction.

I did get to examine it. Really nice DA trigger.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk

I did get to examine it. Really nice DA trigger.
    Very much this.

I was totally thinking of this thread about 30 minutes ago: I just hit the range for the first time in a couple of weeks to air out the old G26 and, Lo, there it was. The new Cobra. One of my own first thoughts was: "this trigger will be something 1k rounds from now..."

Other thoughts; pretty much the opposite of my first impression of the Kimber. With that wheelie, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of fit and finish, but it didn't fit my hand, didn't point well for me, there wasn't enough light on either side of the front sight for my taste, and the reset struck me as something I'd have to mind once in a while.

With the Cobra, the finish was not the Colt DS finish of yore (but not bad; sort of on par with modern 642 offerings: serviceable), but the way it pointed, the way it fit my hand, the extra space in the trigger guard and grip geometry, and the trigger action–both coming and going–was perfectly acceptable. I'm neither excited nor put off by the fiber optic front: I prefer the "drive the planet Mars" orange Ameriglo that I like on Glocks, but I could still see the little red dot and light on either side just fine, and that's a good step up in wheelville, IMHO. A hurried Jim March-esque check revealed great lock up and apparent timing.

Legendary cheap-ass that I am, I started having thoughts like, "These guys have always been way cool to work with and given good service, I could just throw them a bone and pay retail..."

I think the peeps helping me saw it in my eyes; first time they've ever brought up the old 'we have layaway' saw with me, ever.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Based on the teething issues of the Ruger GP100-.44. I'm inclined to agree.
    Checked out a Model 69 at the local Academy this week just for grins. Not the 2.75" version. On the good side, the ratchet was not the usual rosebud of burrs that afflict most new Rugers and Smiths. But the muzzle seemed to imply that they've simply given up on making the two-piece barrels even look to be "of a piece," or else they just skipped a step in which the barrel and sleeve are uniformed. The hammer had a shiny silver stripe where it scraped against the unevenly milled cutout in the frame. The side plate half of the cutout was also uneven, and the perimeter of the sideplate seemed to not have quite as tight a seam as has been typical. The ribs on the top of the frame and the top of the barrel sleeve were misaligned by about half a rib.

Same store where I previously checked out a GP100 in .357 with a badly-canted barrel.

In addition to the .44RM sight dovetail issues, the front sight on my MC also stands proud of where it should be, with gaps under the blade, and had to be sent back to the factory for refitting of the trigger group.

Hard to call any of this stuff "teething issues." More like "ongoing pattern of quality issues" affecting both of the reputable, established manufacturers.

I have some hopes for Colt. Maybe they'll break the consistent pattern that a current-production revolver is an almost-ready-to-shoot kit, with all the pieces included, some finishing necessary. But based on certain SMEs' advice to have a competent armorer check over their 1911s before deployment, I'd plan for that with the little Cobra, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I picked on up today (Colt Cobra, not the other stuff). I haven't shot it yet, but as background, I'm a huge K-Frame round butt fan. I often Carry 2.5" M19 or M66, or a 3" M10 Heavy Barrel. Some pre-shooting observations

- Trigger is pretty good. Not as good as my K-Frames, but 2 of those are Ted Yost conversions. It stacks a little. But overall good for out of the box.
    - Front sight is excellent. Wish it were just a little narrower.
    - Rear notch/trough is OK. I'd love something like C&S or Yost rear, but that's asking a lot for an out of the box gun.
    - It's quite light.
    - Build quality seems good (pre-shooting again).
    - Grip is a three finger grip. I'd like something a little shorter. But it's REALLY comfortable, and the grip design all the way up the back and ergos are really excellent. It points well.
    - Wish the hammer spur were shorter or just gone, but that's probably personal

Overall I think it's a great option for a gun that's kinda between a J-Frame and a K-Frame. I always wanted a colt revolver, but didn't really want an old one.

Oh yeah and my Safariland 6-shot speedloaders work pretty well with it.

Shooting impressions soon.
    Last edited by newt; 07-23-2017 at 04:29 PM.

User Tag List