Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: New Colt Cobra

I like it! Obviously there's a learning curve and the sights are a bit small...but it seems to hit vertically where the front sight is, which is kind of nice on a gun without adjustable sights. One big thing I noticed...the pull is quantifiably shorter with the Colt than it is with the Smith. It's like switching between a Beretta 92, and then a CZ...the CZ's hammer drop seems to come quite a bit ahead in the pull as compared. I've got a bunch more ammo tomorrow and I plan on taping up my thumb and giving it another shake, now that the lead is mostly out of it...

So now that my thumb's mostly healed up, I've spent a fair bit more time dry-firing and fidgeting with it, and came to the (probably dumb) conclusion that this particular ridge is actually somewhat sharper than it needs to be, and that could very well have been the cause of the tearing I experienced:

Name:  grip-cropped.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  70.5 KB

So, time to break out some 200 grit to remove the edge, then some 400 to 600 to smoothe it out and make it look perfect. Of course...being paralytically afraid of modifying factory Colt stuff (have you seen the price of 20 year old Colt Pythons?)...I ordered another set of VZs to round off in that area and use those instead. I also ordered a set of Hogue rubber wrap-arounds for it, because for $25...why not. Worst case I decide that's the way to go, forever forgoing style for function...but, whatever. In theory, no one will ever see this thing except at the range and/or on what would in all likelihood be the worst day of my life, so I can live without it looking like it belongs in a John Wick movie. And if the VZs work, even better, at least that won't be a giant waste of money.

Also why didn't anyone tell me old revolvers are neat. I need to stay off gunbroker...now that I know I can probably shoot them near parity with my DA/SA guns (well...I can at least see parity from here anyway...I won't be winning any coins or getting all X rings anytime soon but I know it's possible now), they're a viable neat thing to spend more time looking at..

Have the same nice Colt and had the same problem. Hence the Hogues from the Cobra! Work like a charm for me YMMV!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Have the same nice Colt and had the same problem. Hence the Hogues from the Cobra! Work like a charm for me YMMV!!!

My grips came in today; it took me a little bit of fidgeting to get the Hogue grip on, but it's nice, solid, planted...comfortable, even. But, I'm going to give the VZs I got in a try first at the range. I went at the cutout on the left side with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and it really smoothed out the edge at the rear "corner"...well worth the 3 minutes of scrubbing and cleaning the area off.

The new grips from VZ, via Amazon:
    Name:  IMG_1102-cropped.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  82.1 KB

I wish I had gotten them with black hardware...but oh well.

Here's the specific area I smoothed out with the sandpaper (all of this is post-sanding btw) - you can sort of see in the picture a little bit of a "void" in the circle? The edge following it was pretty gnarly. It wasn't "sharp" in the same way a piece of paper isn't "sharp"....it's not sharp, right up to the point where it slices you open out of nowhere. Considering how well it blends in with just a quick wipedown with a wet cloth, I might wind up doing this to the factory grips just to keep everything consistent.

Name:  IMG_1104-cropped.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  62.9 KB

Nice grips, they look good on the NC. Anxious to see a range report.

Finally had a chance to hit the range with the grips...they work, but not nearly as well as I hoped; after 3 cylinders it was clear that my IT-pro soft hands just did not agree with those grips. I could feel my skin still tearing. I wound up wearing a glove for the rest of the session, which seemed to work a bit better. I'm going to try the rubber Hogues next time. Can't be any worse. It sucks, but c'est la vie.

User Tag List