Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Well, you're a doctor so maybe you can help with a .44 mag related question. Is there a medical term for "destroyed a testicle, went through the groin, and created an aftermarket a-hole" by any chance? Bullet did keep on trucking after doing all that work, didn't even seem tired...

I think I put the story in the roll call stories section, but at it's most basic, older guy seated fires at standing younger guy in self defense. Aimed for groin. It worked.
    If the younger guy had ball one, he would kept fighting.

I totally agree that the .357 is a much better choice than the .44 Special, or even the .44 Extra Special. What is an even better choice than a .357 is a Glock 19 full of Gold Dots, which I have in spades.

My interest in this is two fold: 1) As a potential "field pistol" for the lower 48, and potentially even Alaska, which is not a hypothetical need for me, since I live adjacent to a National Forest and 2) Because it's cool.

Honestly my Glock 20 with a 200 grain bullet @ 1150 is probably a better choice for #1. Which leaves #2. I'm starting to give myself permission to be interested in stuff because it's cool.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm starting to give myself permission to be interested in stuff because it's cool.
    We do sometimes overlook the fact that guns can be fun to own outside a martial sense. I don't know why it sometimes seems like we work extra hard to take the fun out of the hobby of gun ownership.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I wonder what make / model .44 spcl he carries in his pocket?
    I'm reasonably certain that Mr. Quinn carries a Charter Arm Bulldog Pug in his pocketses. A perusal of his website shows him gushing about a custom Bulldog that features no front sight and porting.

It also doubles as a chew toy for his dog, which having owned a Bulldog Pug, I find to be perfectly appropriate.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    We do sometimes overlook the fact that guns can be fun to own outside a martial sense. I don't know why it sometimes seems like we work extra hard to take the fun out of the hobby of gun ownership.

Guns inhabit two different worlds.

On the one hand, they are a eminently practical tool that can be used to save your life. That is also true of a fire extinguisher. However people tend to buy a fire extinguisher and forget about it, without thinking about them much, and they certainly don't adorn them, or become emotionally attached to them.

But guns are also cool, in the same way Harley's, muscle cars, and Japanese Swords are cool. They are also, as this gentleman elegantly writes, dreaming aids.

I've bought, sold and traded a bunch of stuff over the years, and, particularly after the Great Post Divorce Gun Sell Off, got down to a small number of eminently practical firearms with no sentimental value.

Now that I'm in a different phase of life, I'm starting to relax about that a little and allowing myself to just enjoy shooting. My "self defense" guns will always be tools, Glocks which I have no attachment to. But I'm allowing myself the idea of buying some nice stuff to enjoy the outdoors with. There's a dearth of blued steel and walnut in my life.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Sure. It's when the worlds collide that I start getting itchy. If you want to own a heel release .22 short vest pocket pistol because it's cool and fun, no problem. If you try to justify it as a good defensive weapon because you want something cool and fun, I'll call you on it. I own guns for funsies, hell I've got a set up to carry a 6" Model 29 IWB because reasons and to see if it could be done and to point to and laugh when people whine about a gun being too heavy to carry. I just don't kid myself that it's really a good idea to pack the combo around town when I'm measurably worse at tests I consider relevant to a defensive gun. When shit goes sideways, you don't really care if your gun is cool/unique/hipster.

Another pic for reference. 5.5gr of Red Dot for about 800fps with the 220gr. 18" of penetration through heavy clothing.

Sure. It's when the worlds collide that I start getting itchy. If you want to own a heel release .22 short vest pocket pistol because it's cool and fun, no problem. If you try to justify it as a good defensive weapon because you want something cool and fun, I'll call you on it. I own guns for funsies, hell I've got a set up to carry a 6" Model 29 IWB because reasons and to see if it could be done and to point to and laugh when people whine about a gun being too heavy to carry. I just don't kid myself that it's really a good idea to pack the combo around town when I'm measurably worse at tests I consider relevant to a defensive gun. When shit goes sideways, you don't really care if your gun is cool/unique/hipster.
    Fair enough although I imagine some forum members might be interested in the 44's performance both as a defensive sidearm and as a toy.

But if not, sorry for the wasted electrons.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that Mr. Quinn carries a Charter Arm Bulldog Pug in his pocketses. A perusal of his website shows him gushing about a custom Bulldog that features no front sight and porting.
    This goes a long way toward explaining why I don't put a lot of credence in his advice on the topic.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Well, you're a doctor so maybe you can help with a .44 mag related question. Is there a medical term for "destroyed a testicle, went through the groin, and created an aftermarket a-hole" by any chance? Bullet did keep on trucking after doing all that work, didn't even seem tired...

I think I put the story in the roll call stories section, but at it's most basic, older guy seated fires at standing younger guy in self defense. Aimed for groin. It worked.
    Nice! Let's call it a, "RADICAL percutaneous orchiectomy/prostatectomy with rectalostomy."

Quick...somebody check my math on that. I usually work on the Northern end of the puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In response to the thread, I've had good luck with Buffalo Bore in .44 Special. Although I plead complete ignorance in how the BB performs in gelatin, or over a chronograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List