Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Might it be an ammo problem instead of a gun problem? If the bullets are slightly undersized they might not have taken the rifling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Might it be an ammo problem instead of a gun problem? If the bullets are slightly undersized they might not have taken the rifling.
    That'd be my thought too if one load shot well and the other didn't. But neither load seems to want to group.

I just bought a box of Magtech 240gr lead. Let's see what that'll do.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Okay. I shot the Magtech cowboy stuff at 25 yards. It shoots marginally better than the Underwood stuff but I still don't believe the gun is shooting like it should.

I had two other people shoot the gun and none of us had much luck with it.

I might try a few more factory loads just for grins but I'm afraid the little gun is destined for a trip back to the factory.

Vending Machine Operator
    If they get this one squared away, I'd be a buyer. Does the .44 Spc. have a decent woods gun reputation? I'm in the deep Rocky Mountains so I'm talking genuine woods gun, like grizzlies and mountain lions. I have yet to pick up a .44 Magnum because I just haven't much enjoyed the cartridge.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 12-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    If they get this one squared away, I'd be a buyer. Does the .44 Spc. have a decent woods gun reputation? I'm in the deep Rocky Mountains so I'm talking genuine woods gun, like grizzlies and mountain lions. I have yet to pick up a .44 Magnum because I just haven't much enjoyed the cartridge.
    I'm completely confident that Ruger can and will either fix this gun or replace it under warranty. I've dealt with them before, unfortunately, in this regard but they've always taken care of me after the sale. That hasn't been the case with some other companies.

I don't know if I'd totally rely on the Special in bear country but I suppose it would get the job done with a fairly heavy solid bullet. Maybe a 41 Magnum might be a better choice if you don't want a 44?

I have posted this elsewhere (and I think here) regarding Ruger CS...best I've ever experienced for any product, ever, bar none. If this is a redundant post, please excuse. I had a very lightly used Ruger Six Series revolver and the front of the ejector rod and front latch were not locking up reliably. Contacted Ruger and they immediately emailed me a Return Merchandise Authorization, inspected the gun promptly, ascertained they could not fix with parts on hand (be advised this is a problem if you buy a Six Series), and offered me a new revolver of my choosing as a replacement (no fee!). I wound up getting a Match Champion (no dice on the Wiley Clapp). Suppose I could have gone higher end, but that would have been cheeky. Bottomline, I NEVER expected this. Fully expected to pay for a repair, but they couldn't fix it, and still made it right, and they kept a customer. They could have tried the S&W technique I've read of where Smith gives you a discount on a new polymer or otherwise cheaply made gun you don't really want, but no. Whenever I can buy a Ruger these days, I try to based on that experience. I don't like relying on customer service instead of QC, but if you need it, it is great to have. I've had S&W repairs I've had to pay for. Glock makes you pay shipping. Pretty good service with SIG with shipping, but didn't seem like problem was resolved. I could go on. My experience with Ruger was perhaps atypical, but I'll always appreciate Ruger for taking care of me. YMMV.
    Last edited by Willard; 12-29-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Old timer/lurker here, but did you slug the cylinder throats and your barrel? Undersized bullets through oversized throats are not conducive to accuracy. Oversized (.332 and larger) throats are a classic problem with revolvers having .329 bores.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Sbould be good for mountain lions and maybe even black bears but if I were heading into brown territory I'd feel a lot better with a .44 magnum or .45 colt +p (formerly known as "Ruger only" loads) I say that as someone that doesn't have to worry about brown bears and has only spent any real time researching calibers for smaller animals.

With regards to Ruger CS, they once rebarreled a defective GP100 that left the factory some 15 years before I acquired it on their dime shipping included and threw in some new grips knowing full well I was not the original owner. Can't beat that, I say.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-30-2016 at 01:38 AM.

I've been talking with TK Custom about machining the cylinder for Moon Clips if the S&W Model 69 Clips will fit.
    That and a BMT Mooner would make for a very happy birthday.
    Last edited by md8232; 12-31-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Sorry about the keyholing. Hope Ruger takes care of you. I am interested in getting one so please keep us advised of how Ruger handles this.

User Tag List