Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Quote Originally Posted by Pentz View Post
    Sure wish this revolver was a little more svelte -

Me too. I could see spending a few bucks getting the barrel slab sided and having the cylinder fluted. It wouldn't shave a ton of weight off but every bit helps. As it sits from the factory the Ruger is a quarter pound heavier than the Taurus.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    I got to hold my gun for a minute today. It will be next Thursday before it comes home based on current wait times with the Feebs.
    What ammo do you have to shoot through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What ammo do you have to shoot through it?

Just what I could scrounge from the LGS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Same load at 15 yards.

It looks like your front sight fits properly. Not the case for other folks. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...p?f=3&t=249139
    I'll have to go visit mine again, as I didn't pay attention while drooling on it yesterday.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Both the original and the replacement have a gap under the front sight.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Both the original and the replacement have a gap under the front sight.

Less friction when you tap it out to change it. It's not a bug, it's a feature!

On a side note, WTF did they put the lawyer roll mark on it? One of the big draws to the Match Champion for me is the lack of the warning imprinted on the side. It doesn't set my teeth on edge quite as much as the S&W lock, but I *really* prefer the Match Champion look. If you do decide to do the slab siding, I think that'd look pretty sharp on the 3" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    The Gold Dot made for 44 Spl is recommended by Speer not to be driven at velocities over 900fps. Took this data off their site several years ago. The Gold Dot for the 44 Mag has a heavier jacket and will withstand a heavier powder charge.
    Oops. Just realized I didn't cut and paste the other stuff that Speer says about using bullet #4427 in the Magnum.

The 200 grain Gold Dot is also excellent for reduced recoil 44 Magnum loads, especially in four-inch revolvers, where control with full-power loads can be difficult. Expansion is impressive at 1000 ft/sec; most of the start loads shown are in this range. The top 44
    Magnum loads loads shown are not at maximum pressure but are held to around 1100 ft/sec for best terminal effects and milder recoil in short-barrel revolvers. Velocties from a 7.5 inch Ruger Redhawk were 50 to 75 ft/sec faster.

Here are a few more targets taken with the replacement revolver.

The gun really likes 180XTP with 8.5gr of Unique. It also really likes the 200gr Gold Dot with 5.9gr of Red Dot. Surprisingly it also likes the Underwood Bulldog load.

Bulldog load

5.9 Red Dot

Just for grins I loaded a handful of Gold Dots with 5.9gr of Red Dot and another handful with 8.5gr of Unique. As can be seen above the Red Dot load shot well. It is mild and not too flashy. I should chronograph it as it might be a good carry load.

The load with Unique had four rounds fairly close together and then one way up above the bullseye. It wasn't a keyhole but it looked somewhat egg shaped. This and the fact that the Underwood Bulldog load shot okay really do seem to indicate that the Gold Dot doesn't like speed and short barrels.

Here's the hotter load of Unique with the Gold Dot. Please note that I used this target with the Red Dot load too.

User Tag List