Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Its on the bottom of the lug facing down, not the side, much less obtrusive.
    I've seen it. I was just mentioning why all Rugers have that, for those that didn't know the reason. (The 8-shot .357 Redhawk snubbie has a similar "Read Instruction Manual, Newport, NH" on the bottom of underlug in fine print.)

They seem more willing to follow the letter rather than the spirit on guns that are at all "limited production" or similar

EDITED TO ADD: I believe the "CAUTION: Capable of firing with magazine removed" found on some Smiths is a similar product of litigation.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-30-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    EDITED TO ADD: I believe the "CAUTION: Capable of firing with magazine removed" found on some Smiths is a similar product of litigation.
    When you sell otherwise identical guns both with and without a magazine disconnect, and many users are likely to be trained one way or the other on that specific model (or at least that design family) of pistol, having a label on the outside of the less-common variant seems like a reasonable step to avoid future litigation, even if you haven't been hurt by past litigation. Maybe even a reasonable step to promote the well-being and satisfaction of your customers.

That said, it's a safe bet that anything S&W has done in the past 20 years is heavily influenced by its experience with litigation. I have a PDF of that "We surrender" letter around somewhere...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    When you sell otherwise identical guns both with and without a magazine disconnect, and many users are likely to be trained one way or the other on that specific model (or at least that design family) of pistol, having a label on the outside of the less-common variant seems like a reasonable step to avoid future litigation, even if you haven't been hurt by past litigation. Maybe even a reasonable step to promote the well-being and satisfaction of your customers.
    Indeed. However, it is my understanding that the warning in question is part of a settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Olong Johnson
    That said, it's a safe bet that anything S&W has done in the past 20 years is heavily influenced by its experience with litigation. I have a PDF of that "We surrender" letter around somewhere...
    This one?

Name:  smith letter.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  46.9 KB

They sent these little standup counter displays to us stocking dealers. (This is from the storage room of a later employer; the one I was working at at the time of The Agreement, I threw the letter in the box with all the other stocking dealer stuff we shipped back to Springfield.)
    r
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-31-2017 at 06:30 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore is showing the GP-.44 in stock at $639.99.

Ruger's "here's our new gun and yes, you can buy one" seems a bit friendlier than Kimber/Colt's "here's our new good, good luck finding one" strategy. (But they don't have the Redhawk .357, so what do I know.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore is showing the GP-.44 in stock at $639.99.............
    Looking at the images there, the front sight is still jacked up.
    I have a return shipping label, but it seems like a 2 week turn around right now.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Posted by Denis Prisbrey on another forum. Encouraged by this news as I believe the little gun is capable of better accuracy.

Also, my sample has the gap under the front sight. This has been the least of my concerns but I'm still glad to read that it has been corrected.

Just off the phone with Ruger.
    The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
    May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

I'm encouraged.
    This is a neat little gun & I WANT it to succeed.

Also, if the GP you already bought has a problem with chamber-related accuracy, Ruger is aware of the issue & should be able to correct it if you return it for service.
    Denis
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Returns being mentioned on other forums are a mixed bag. Some have the sight issue corrected while others come back with the same gap.
    Ruger is replacing the barrel, cylinder and sight on some. They are coming back with a test target.
    I'll hold off a bit more before sending mine back.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    Returns being mentioned on other forums are a mixed bag. Some have the sight issue corrected while others come back with the same gap.
    Ruger is replacing the barrel, cylinder and sight on some. They are coming back with a test target.
    I'll hold off a bit more before sending mine back.
    Front sight gap is not ideal but as long as the gun shoots straight upon return I can live with it.

Probably a good call on waiting a bit before sending your gun back. Let things settle down a bit to see how they shake out.

Received an email from UPS this morning with tracking number. My GP100 is on the way back. I should have it Monday.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just off the phone with Ruger.
    The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
    May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

Complete horse shit that this stuff is figured out AFTER the product ships. I hope you get a check for the time you spent as a beta tester for Ruger.

User Tag List