Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Here's something I shot this afternoon. This is five rounds loaded with Unique and Speer's 4428 210gr Gold Dot for the 44 Magnum. I blurred out the load data because it isn't anything published. I don't think it is necessarily a hot load and is under some published data for other 210gr bullets.

Anyway, this one really bares further messing with. I've loaded up 20 of this same load and will get some chrono data and shoot into gel ASAP.

As per my usual this is seated at 25 yards with a rolled up jacket for a rest.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Here's something quite surprising.

This is the 210gr Speer Gold Dot loaded with Unique fired into gel both with and without a heavy clothing barrier. The chrono says these are running just at or slightly under 1000fps. Note that the bullet fired into bare gel shows just the tiniest amount of flattening while the clothing bullet shows no expansion whatsoever.

The bare gel bullet penetrated about 28" while the clothing bullet penetrated in excess of 32" and the bullet was found behind the blocks.

This is not the surprising thing since I wasn't expecting too much from a heavy jacketed 44 Magnum bullet at these speeds. I'm hoping that maybe something like Blue Dot can get me up into the 1100fps range to give the bullet enough oomph to actually work.

What is surprising is how well the 255gr RN LHP from GT worked. These are loaded to Skeeter spec and are running in the mid 900's. Penetration both with and without clothing is in the 14-15" range and both bullets opened nicely at these speeds. This load warrants more experimentation but certainly might be a good choice as a field/hiking load where lighter skinned four legged critters might be a threat.

Another photo. This is the 255gr RN LHP in the gel. Note penetration after heavy clothing.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    On a side note, WTF did they put the lawyer roll mark on it?
    That's not a lwayer roll mark, it's a judge rollmark. It was part of a settlement.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Both the original and the replacement have a gap under the front sight.

This is the replacement? I'm to send mine back next week, but what's the point if this is the result?
    If only it didn't fit my hand so well and shoot so softly with the stock grips, I'd consider returning it.
    Oh, the TK Custom Moon Clips for a Smif & Wesson fit perfectly. A cylinder cut is in the future.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's not a lwayer roll mark, it's a judge rollmark. It was part of a settlement.
    It's not on the Match Champion. A much smaller version is on the bottom. It looks much better, IMO.

If that is a dovetail would filing a tad off the bottom of the sight work?

Quote Originally Posted by Pentz View Post
    If that is a dovetail would filing a tad off the bottom of the sight work?
    It will make it loose- possibly too loose to stay in place.

(I make dovetail neck joints for guitars- same principle, different material.)
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 01-27-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's not on the Match Champion. A much smaller version is on the bottom.
    It has to be somewhere on the gun. (I guess on the barrel? I don't know the actual wording of the agreement, if it's even public record.) I agree that it looks better when they try to minimize it. There's a burgeoning trade in bugging it off SASS guns...

Blame some dude who dropped a three-screw Blackhawk with six beans in the wheel and done kilt hisself.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-30-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It has to be somewhere on the gun. (I guess on the barrel? I don't know the actual wording of the agreement, if it's even public record.) I agree that it looks better when they try to minimize it. There's a burgeoning trade in bugging it off SASS guns...

Blame some dude who dropped a three-screw Blackhawk with six beans in the wheel and done kilt hisself.
    Its on the bottom of the lug facing down, not the side, much less obtrusive. Its a very abbreviated version. I think it just says "read owners manual".

I checked. It says "read instruction manual."
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-30-2017 at 10:49 PM.

User Tag List