Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

My XTP load

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Here is another 25 yard group with the Blazer Gold Dot. This new gun certainly wants to SHOOT!

Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here is another 25 yard group with the Blazer Gold Dot. This new gun certainly wants to SHOOT!

Good stuff!

That'll do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    That's quite a bit better.

Here is my daily update. I shot Underwood's Bulldog load, a handload of Unique with a Hornady 180-grain XTP and another handload with surplus bulk powder and a Rimrock 185gr LHP bullet into the Clear Ballistics gel from 10ft.

The Underwood Gold Dot was fired into bare gel and heavy clothing. Last was through a soft leather jacket purchased for $10 at Goodwill.

Chronograph data shows that the Underwood Bulldog load is cruising along at 975fps which corresponds to their advertised velocity.

Here is a photo looking through the block. Sorry for the cloudiness. The block's getting pretty nasty from repeated used.

12" penetration was bare gel.
    12.5" penetration was leather jacket.
    13" penetration was heavy clothing.

Here are the three recovered Dots. Laid out in order as above. Bare on top.

Up next is my handload of Unique with a Hornady 180 XTP. Chrono puts these at 975fps right along with what I'm getting with the Underwood.

One bullet was fired through clothing and the other was fired into bare gel. Both bullets penetrated in excess of 16in and were found a few feet downrange.

I don't know which bullet is which but bare gel and clothing look about the same. The XTP'S are in the middle here.

Lastly, pictured far left is my Rimrock LHP load. I backed the powder off a little and now am getting about 965fps with this bullet. I'm hoping the slightly lower velocities will shoot a bit better. Accuracy isn't bad at 1000+ fps but I'm hoping to tighten it up a bit. Also penetration was only about 10in at the higher velocity.

Anyway I fired two of these through clothing. Both penetrated more than 16in with only one of the bullets being recovered.

Then just for reference is the Rimrock after the higher velocity. Expansion is better but penetration is a bit shallow.

So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the Underwood Bulldog. I haven't seen the keyhole issues like with their hotter load. This stuff might be a good choice for self-defense ammo in the GP.

Shoots as good as it looks!

There is a thread on rugerforum about some guns accepting 44 Mag ammo. I just checked mine. It will not chamber 44 Mag.

I believe the guy on RF.net had handloads with a heavy crimp but folks who tried with factory ammo said it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I believe the guy on RF.net had handloads with a heavy crimp but folks who tried with factory ammo said it wouldn't work.
    I could see someone who got fairly aggressive with his trim to length and then a heavy roll crimp might get Mags to chamber.

Here is a group with a 250gr (253 +/- on my digital scale) Keith-style cast hollow point from GT Bullets. These are sized .432" as available from the GT website.

User Tag List