Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Complete horse shit that this stuff is figured out AFTER the product ships. I hope you get a check for the time you spent as a beta tester for Ruger.
    No biggie. Sometimes sh1t happens.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The repaired firearm is back and it looks great.

The chamber throats appear to measure .431 with one throat creeping upwards toward .432 as best I can determine using my Starrett small hole gages. I have also tried poking various cast bullets through. A bullet sized .430 passes easily while .432 will not. I don't currently have anything sized .431.

The major gap under the front sight is gone. There's still a small gap there but it isn't unsightly like before.

The gun used to have a scratch across the top strap from ?? but the warranty tech polished this out making the gun appear new again.

Enclosed in the box is a photocopied test target with the revolver's serial number. The target says the firearm was tested from a rest at 15 yards using 200gr Federal. I assume that's the 200gr LSWC HP load.

The weather has been less than ideal but maybe today I can get a few rounds fired. I still have a few odds and ends that didn't shoot well in the gun with the original cylinder. I wonder how they'll do now.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The major gap under the front sight is gone. There's still a small gap there but it isn't unsightly like before.
    That's still frustrating. Novak is very clear on their page detailing sight installation that all five surfaces (three dovetail and in front of and behind the cut) need to make contact for the sight to be properly supported.

The next critical part is what we refer to the “points of contact” issue. If there is any light showing through the underside of the sight there is a chance of it “opening up” the dovetail and becoming loose from the repetitive cycling of the slide. The front sights, which are more prone to becoming loose, need the five points of contact to minimize this from happening. The five points are the front underside of the blade, both angles of the dovetail, the bottom of the dovetail, and the rear underside of the blade. Having contact with all five of those points and having the roll pin installed, as an added protective measure, will keep the front sight in place under the most extreme conditions and help prevent fatiguing or opening of the dovetail cut.

The rear follows basically the same rules, but use four points of contact and a setscrew to secure it. The four points for the rear are: the front angle of the dovetail (this is a larger surface and has a larger heavier bearing area to hold it from deforming), the bottom of the dovetail, the rear of the dovetail, and the underside of the back of the sight also known as the “pocket”.
    I'd not be surprised to see Cletus' Gunsmithy get it wrong, but Ruger engineers should have RTFMed.

Just to note, I'm depending on Ruger to make it right if I ever have issues with my MC, as it has gaps front and rear.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Ruger has mine now, I'll report back once it comes home.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Weather has taken a turn for the better so I should be able to start shooting again. Maybe next week I'll post some accuracy results.

My gun is back, no thanks to Ruger who got my address wrong. Fortunately, I keep UPS busy enough that they know where I live.
    First thing I notice is there is still a gap under the Front Sight. A business card will just get under it. Before it was easy.
    They polished both sides of the trigger guard and that is a noticeable improvement.
    New Barrel.
    Polished the gun.
    Smoothed the DA pull. It will occasionally register on my Lyman gauge now, before it was always over limit. A sub 4 Lb. SA, thats pretty nice.
    No response to any of the questions I asked them.
    Target included. It looks like the other targets that have been posted. Maybe they shot once and copied many?
    I'm torn about returning it again and hoping the next batch of barrels have the sights on right. But it feels so good in hand.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    New Barrel.
    Polished the gun.
    Smoothed the DA pull.
    How's it shoot now? Mine still shows a marked preference for bullets in the 180-200 grain range. The exception being a "True Keith" cast bullet from Montana Bullet Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How's it shoot now? Mine still shows a marked preference for bullets in the 180-200 grain range. The exception being a "True Keith" cast bullet from Montana Bullet Works.

Haven't shot it yet. Working on my G-19's at the moment.

Charles de Gaulle

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Well after about a 4 month wait, mine finally arrived at the LGS. I went in to pick up some .17hmr and the gent says... "Hey!! Guess what just came in yesterday??" Well, one trip home and one "uhhh...umm...honey????...." later it is sitting in Illinois gun purgatory until it can join all the other guns that AREN'T in gun purgatory. (Damn...another maybe 2 years of this god-awful state.)

Well anyhoo, they let me pull it out of the box while they all sat and drooled. Looks nice, no front sight gap, scratches and a pretty damn nice trigger even on its initial pulls. Stocks were a bit smaller than I figured but thats fine since I have girly hands. I better get used to saying "uhhh...umm...honey" because the only .44spl they had was more expensive than a set of .44spl/mag dies two shelves above. Got the dies.

I think this is going to make a great north woods gun. I'll be picking it up later this week and hope to put a few rounds thru it soon there after. Thanks for posting all the load info. Never thought Id need it this soon! Lol.

Any idea if a Python sized holster would fit the frame? I have a nice Galco OWB I bought for my 15-2 Dan Wesson. Its stamped and sized for the Python sized frame and up to 3".
    Last edited by entropy; 04-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    LGS has a Taurus 2" 431 and a Charter Bulldog. I have been trying very hard not to need one of them. Don't need another caliber to stock/load for, don't need it. Don't.

Unfluted, 3", and adjustable sights?

Um. Yeah. I'll be in my bunk.
    There are several generations of Bulldogs made under different management teams as the company went through it's ups and downs. Some of the older Bulldogs are decent enough. Just don't shoot them with stiff loads & don't shoot them a lot. (I have one of these older, better guns). Also, a lot of their older guns from certain periods suck. Their new guns suck too. ('Suck' defined as lack of reliability and quality of workmanship.) IMO, old or new, - you may get lucky and snag a serviceable Bulldog. But odds are that you won't find anything that you'd really want to stake your life on in a self defense situation.
    I went through a long period when I wanted to use a revolver as my primary carry & wanted something more than a 38. Who knows why- - In the end I said 'Heck with it' and just went with Glocks.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 04-17-2017 at 03:32 PM.

User Tag List