Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

The GP has been a standard in the Ruger catalog for a good 20-25 years. Nobody pays it much attention nowadays even though Ruger has probably sold somewhere between a million and a billion of the things. They've always been primarily a 38/357 revolver and have been available in several barrel lengths.

Ruger tried to shake things up over the last few years with GP's like the Match Champion and a nifty 3" gun inspired by Wiley Clapp. Well, continuing with interesting new variants, Ruger is now making a 5shot 44 Special.

I don't consider myself to be a revolver guy and don't have much use for the 357 Magnum. That doesn't mean it isn't an effective cartridge. I just prefer semi-autos for several reasons. But I am a walking contradiction and do have an affinity for big bore revolvers. I love old wheelguns like the Colt and S&W 1917's and guns like the S&W Thunder Ranch. I hate to admit it but I also like guns like the Taurus 431 (NOT the new stuff! [emoji107] ) and the older Charter Arms Bulldog.

This new Ruger variant was announced shortly before Christmas and I placed an order right after seeing the review on Jeff Quinn's website.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100-44.htm

Well, the gun showed up with my dealer today and I eagerly took delivery. Initial impressions are pretty good. I like the fiber optic front sight and the trigger is heavy but workable. There is a strong catch right when the cylinder stop pops into the notches but that can probably be tuned up. Single action is pretty crisp but with a bit of overtravel. Timing seems good and there doesn’t appear to be any excess play or shake in the cylinder.

The Hogue grips felt good but completely looked out of place on the gun. Too long in relation to the barrel! I took these off and replaced with a set of standard GP100 stocks. Much better and these should be a better choice for an "all around" carry gun.

I haven't shot the gun yet but do plan on hitting the range tomorrow. More to follow.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Galco SUM192B holster

The GP as it came out of the box

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cool! I have a couple GP's, and I think they're great. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The forcing cone could be a bit thicker.

Site Supporter
    LGS has a Taurus 2" 431 and a Charter Bulldog. I have been trying very hard not to need one of them. Don't need another caliber to stock/load for, don't need it. Don't.

Unfluted, 3", and adjustable sights?

Um. Yeah. I'll be in my bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Unfluted, 3", and adjustable sights?
    Meh. Seems like minimal complaints to me. It could have been more utilitarian but I like the stainless.

What would have been way cool is an aluminum frame or, better yet, polymer. Can you imagine a medium frame LCR? Talk about a carry gun! Likely not too many people would be complaining about a heavy unfluted cylinder on that one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Meh. Seems like minimal complaints to me. It could have been more utilitarian but I like the stainless.

What would have been way cool is an aluminum frame or, better yet, polymer. Can you imagine a medium frame LCR? Talk about a carry gun! Likely not too many people would be complaining about a heavy unfluted cylinder on that one.

That's not me complaining! That's me saying, "excuse me, I'll be in my bunk!" A-la Jayne Cobb. It's Internets for "me likey".

My big question: For those who don't reload is their any source of .44 special that costs materially less than $0.60 a round?

The .44 special is a great round, but it appears to be only affordable if you reload.

Uh oh! I'm getting poor accuracy and/or keyholing at 25 yards. Ammo used was Underwood 245gr FMJ and Underwood 200gr JHP.

The 245 stuff shot a bit better but I still had some evidence of keyholing. The 200gr stuff all pretty much went completely sideways.

So what's the deal? A slight constriction in the barrel where the barrel meets the frame?

Unfortunately it looks like this one's going to have to go back for warranty....[emoji24]

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like this one's going to have to go back for warranty....[emoji24]

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Interesting, but I'll let others beta-test. I've learned my lesson on being the first kid on the block to buy any new offering from Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You'd think. I was the first kid on my block with a Wiley Clapp blued, and sent it back because the finish was wearing extremely rapidly. I was the first kid on my block with a Redhawk .45LC/.45ACP, and it's been three attempts to fix it with minimal improvements in reliability. So, yeah, I won't be assuming they'll get it right the first time.

In all seriousness, that sucks and I hope they get it taken care of for you quickly.

User Tag List