Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New 44SPL GP100--Got One!

I would suspect you have undersized cylinder throats and/or some thread choke in the barrel. Got a pin gauge set?

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    I would suspect you have undersized cylinder throats and/or some thread choke in the barrel. Got a pin gauge set?
    No I don't unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Looks like you put the Compact grips on it? If so how's the recoil with those on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Looks like you put the Compact grips on it? If so how's the recoil with those on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not terrible. But followup shots might be a little difficult depending on the load.

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    I agree. Many of my Ruger revolvers have the same issue. Do your bullets drop through the cylinder throats freely? Or are they a snug fit? That's a start.

Also, slugging the barrel will provide some info. You can do this with a soft lead fishing weight of .435 or so. Oil the bore, and force it through with a brass rod. Then measure with a micrometer. Also feel if there's a tight spot at the breech end.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cast bullets I bought measure .4295" and will drop through each chamber.

Also I tried running a tight patch through the barrel to feel for any tight spots, etc. There may be just the slightest hint of a change in the way the patch feels just in front of the forcing cone. Or it could be my imagination. If there is something there it is pretty insignificant. But I suppose it won't take much to deform a bullet and cause accuracy problems.

Another thing I tried Thursday when I first shot the gun was to shoot a few groups using the same chambers to see if one particular spot was out of whack. No dice there. Each chamber seemed to shoot as equally poor as the others so whatever is causing the issue is likely the barrel and not the cylinder.

Then here's my handload. This is just a bullet I bought online thrown together with a CCI primer, Magtech brass, a randomly selected charge of Blue Dot and some Lee dies. Accuracy was pretty darned good. So is it the gun or is it the Underwood stuff?

As I think I already mentioned I ordered another box of the 200gr JHP that was keyholing on me to see if it'll continue to do so. I also ordered a box of the lighter "Bulldog" load to see if the higher velocity is what the problem is.

Plan for today is to hit the gunshow and see if I can't find a box or two of big name factory ammo as well as a box or two of jacketed bullets. It wouldn't hurt to scare up a few more pieces of brass too.

Here is a photo of the gun in its Galco holster. The holster does a nice job of keeping the gun close to the body.

I have no experience with Underwood Ammo, but there are a few other sources of hard-cast .44 Special ammo that might be worth trying. Grizzly Ammo and Buffalo Bore both have good hard-cast offerings. Most of the other factory ammo you find will be low-power "cowboy" type loads with soft lead bullets.

I bought a box of 180gr XTP's and some Remington 240gr JHP's and have loaded five of each with Blue Dot. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get them shot.

Both bullets measure .430" and we'll see how they shoot. If neither shoot the gun's going back to the factory.

I'm afraid I'll have to initiate a return.

Here is a 6" bullseye target at 25 yards. I fired 5 rounds of 200gr plated "FMJ" along with 5 rounds of reloaded 180 XTP and 5 rounds of 240 JHP reloads. Last was my 220cast load with 11gr of Blue Dot.

200gr stuff

180gr XTP's

240 JHP

220gr cast. Note two bullet holes were from previous group with 240 JHP. Still all five rounds of cast are in the black.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-02-2017 at 01:39 PM.

User Tag List