Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 slide lock reloads

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    So I am playing around and running a 1911 and curious to techniques of other 1911 users.

I assume most are using WH thumb technique?

What is the consensus on extended releases? Seems people are not to favorable about them.

Thanks!
    I'm in the minority that use my WH thumb to drop the slide on SL reloads with a 1911. For me it's more consistent than reaching out with my SH thumb and hitting the release. The reason I do this is I don't like to break my main firing grip as much as it would require to hit the slide release with my strong hand.

I roll the gun somewhat and use the strong hand. I'm not very high speed and have no real idea what speed difference that makes. If I can get a firing grip from a holster I figure its not too hard to get a firing grip from a reload. I do it basically the same as if I only had one hand to work with. Not sure if thats a plan or not or if the way I do it is retarded. Just works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I use my SH thumb as I can reach and use the standard slide release without issue.
    I need to amend this because I forgot to mention that I don't need to break my grip to reach it. My hands are big enough to reach the slide release lever from my regular grip even with extra thick grip panels.

I started my centerfire pistol shooting with a USP, and could reliably hit the slide release without a shift in my grip. Once I transitioned to 1911s, I needed to flip the gun in my hand to hit the slide release. One I started watching Caleb's Gun Nuts Media 1911 tests, I noticed the weak hand thumb release, and switched to it.

I need my weak hand to stick the mag in the gun anyway, and I prefer maintaining my strong hang grip throughout the reload.

Count me among the WH thumb users. As the left hand inserts the fresh mag, the left thumb is right there to depress the slide release then roll back into a good grip.

Good comparison from a forum member of the different methods and time comparisons. https://youtu.be/drD12-dySf0

I'm still trying to work this out for myself with a 1911 but so far support thumb seems to be the most reliable without a huge loss of time compared to primary thumb. I'll take consistent but slightly slower personally.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I use my left hand thumb to hit the slide release on 1911's. Right hand thumb on every other auto I run.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I use my WH thumb on my 1911s.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List