Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Techniques for Locking Wrists and Elbows?

Any Techniques for Locking Wrists and Elbows?

I'm still struggling keeping the muzzle from jumping up too much during recoil. I guess I'm have trouble locking my wrists and elbows. Are there any techniques that can help me lock them?

Happy holidays.

Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I'm still struggling keeping the muzzle from jumping up too much during recoil. I guess I'm have trouble locking my wrists and elbows. Are there any techniques that can help me lock them?

Happy holidays.

Thanks,
    Randy
    I wouldn't do that...

Locking elbows is definitely undesirable. The wrist is less important and can be argued about. Put a video up of you shooting a bill drill from the side and I'm sure we can fix you up.

In this video Jerry Miculek says that he locks his wrists but doesn't say how he does it. He also says he locks his wrists over center. I'm not sure what he means by that.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that he doesn't seem to extend his arms out as far as he can; so his shoulders are not rolled forward and seem very relaxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s

Randy

In this video Jerry Miculek says that he locks his wrists but doesn't say how he does it. He also says he locks his wrists over center. I'm not sure what he means by that.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that he doesn't seem to extend his arms out as far as he can; so his shoulders are not rolled forward and seem very relaxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s

Randy
    Point your arm straight out in front with you fingers forward and your thumb up, like an open handed hitchhiker. The roll your thumb forward at the wrist until you cant go any further. that's what he means.

Bent arms are generally superior, which is why he doesn't extend them all the way. Gentler on your elbow joints and it allows you to put bigger muscles into play.

The simplest way I've found to tell people is to have them bend over pretty far and let their hands dangle FREELY, absolutely relaxed, the natural bend of your elbows is where you want to be. This may not be your final resting place as far as arm position go, but it will get you started.
    i used to wannabe

"Nose over your toes"

After that, press out like you're squeezing a lemon between the base of your palms just past the wrists. If you maintain that pressure, you'll see that you'll naturally stop pressing out with your elbows still bent.

As for your wrists, "locking" them is basically is establishing a static hold with your wrists. Usually having your wrists bent forward helps maintain that "lock".

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

You have to grip the gun really hard while maintaining enough dexterity to work the trigger correctly. Gripping the gun hard is how you manage recoil. I have never seen any benefit from locking elbows, locking wrists tends to be subjective and some pistols don't lend themselves to it as well as others. Arm bend and hand locations are all dependent on many variables and varies person to person. The only absolute that I know of is gripping the shit out of the gun and the best way to practice it is to grip the shit out of the gun and work the trigger.

Techniques vary, but locking elbows is a bad long term strategy (body wear and tear) and is probably counter productive.

Tom Givens is running Combative Pistol next July in Kalispell. I'd highly recommend making that happen.

I have never locked my elbows! Well, at least not since the first few experimental rounds; my elbows hyper-extend, so locking my elbows is strenuous, clumsy, and induces trembling. I try to have just the slightest bend in my elbows, while shooting from eye level.

I do not understand the mechanics of a "locked" wrist. One should not limp-wrist, when shooting, but what does it mean to "lock" a wrist? A straight wrist, during recoil, is a natural component of a firm grip, as I see it.

Happy holidays.

Thanks,
    Randy
    You can't out muscle recoil. Locking your elbows will make recoil worse, your arms can't absorb recoil if your elbows are locked. If you replaced the springs in your car's suspension with solid steel blocks every little bump is getting sent into your body.

Shooting is not all that much different than fly casting. It's technique and timing that makes you efficient. Strength is certainly an important component. It doesn't matter how strong you are, if you start whipping a fly rod as hard as you can, not much is going to happen. If you have technique down, a feel for the rod and your timing down, you can use the energy built up in the rod on the back cast to do the work for you. Tracking your sights is a more important aspect of recoil management than trying to out muscle recoil.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/88

If you grip the pistol tightly you will naturally straighten (flexion and extension) and "lock" your wrist.
    Last edited by txdpd; 12-25-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List