Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations on 9mm guns with short trigger reach

Site Supporter
    A good friend of mine with similar issues (tiny girl/tiny hands) ended up with a SIG 938. She got the chance to run a wide variety of guns, and is very fit and strong to her build, so she could cycle any gun we handed her, and deal with the recoil (we did NOT try magnum revolvers), but grip shape and trigger reach, combined with concealability, got her on that 938 and she loves it.

First off thank you for all the suggestions. I read all of them over with the GF last night and she is adding pistols to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Compact or Subcompact Sig P320 with small grip module?
    Despite claiming that they produce a small grip module I have not seen a P320 for sale anywhere with the smallest grip module nor have I seen the grip module itself for sale anywhere not even on Sig's website. It seems to be the unicorn of acessories for the P320 which is a shame because I would love to try this option out for her because I know the P320 has a good trigger.

The one thing that is certain is that Sig seems to make the most options for what it is she needs hence so many Sig's on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    One thing about the awesome 938, is it recoils a bit.
    I've shot one once upon a time so I am aware which is why I would like her to try it first. I always start her off with just a single round in a new gun so she knows what the recoil is going to be like and she can decide if the wants to shoot more after.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    The HK P30 with small side and back inserts is great for people with smaller hands. The paddle mag release is also easier to reach, and the large slide release levers provide leverage for someone without much finger strength.
    Does the P30 have a shorter trigger reach than the VP9? I was under the impression that they had the same basic grip shape and I thought it would be right out because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    If the Gen 4 G19 is out of the question, I think you're on the right path the the P225/P239. Maybe a P228 with E2 grips and the reduced reach trigger.

Since you said she didn't like the G19 or M&P Shield, I doubt she'd like the G42.
    Noted about the G42. She doesn't like Glocks because it feels very blocky and uncomfortable. She didn't like the M&P Shield because the shape of the grip didn't fit her had. Between the three she preferred the Walther PPS M2.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Has she considered a revolver. I don't mean like air weight j frame but maybe something shoot able.
    She shot a friend's SP101 with 37 specials and did not like it. It was months ago so I can't remember why something with the size and balance of the gun (too much weight forward I think?) or maybe the recoil? I thought she should try a larger gun like a 686 or a GP100 and had her hold a GP100 but she found it too large and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    If she has very small hands I'd scratch the CZ P07 of your list. My wife has smallish hands and she has a hard time handling it.
    Eta: I have a 1st gen without the switchable backstraps, and I think its grip size is the same as the medium backstrap on the gen 2. So if the small backstrap takes a decent chunk of it may be ok. But besides the size, I could see the dimensions being an issue. My wife is very interested in trying a Sig P290(?) and a Shield. She has tried a Ruger Lc9s and she liked the feel of it, but my SR9c with with small strap was too big
    I looked at the Sig P290 and added it to the list to try. I'm a little concerned with the trigger being a DAO model but I'll at least have her dry fire one in a store to see if she wants to shoot it. I'll do the same with the Sig SR9c.

It's a shame to hear that about the P07. I hope the new P10c will be better and not at all because I want an excuse to add another CZ to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    If the issue is grip size, a single stack pistol like the P239 might be a good call. If the issue is trigger reach, any of the DA/SA, DAO pistols are LIKELY to be harder for her to reach than equivalent sized strikers. She liked the CZ83, how about a CZ P07? Good size for learning on, and the ergonomics should be similar to the 83...
    Add a short trigger to the P239 and you'll probably be GTG. S&W 3rd Gen 3914/3913 or the DAO versions which have an even shorter trigger reach. HK P7 perhaps?
    Last edited by LtDave; 12-28-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Add a short trigger to the P239 and you'll probably be GTG. S&W 3rd Gen 3914/3913 or the DAO versions which have an even shorter trigger reach. HK P7 perhaps?
    I thought the SRT trigger stood for Short Reset Trigger not Short Reach Trigger? I thought it'd help with the reset not the initial starting position of the trigger?

The idea of a DAO gun having a short trigger reach is strange to me but I'll look at them.

HK P7... because bankruptcy is always an option.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    First off thank you for all the suggestions. I read all of them over with the GF last night and she is adding pistols to the list.

Despite claiming that they produce a small grip module I have not seen a P320 for sale anywhere with the smallest grip module nor have I seen the grip module itself for sale anywhere not even on Sig's website. It seems to be the unicorn of acessories for the P320 which is a shame because I would love to try this option out for her because I know the P320 has a good trigger.

The one thing that is certain is that Sig seems to make the most options for what it is she needs hence so many Sig's on the list.

I've shot one once upon a time so I am aware which is why I would like her to try it first. I always start her off with just a single round in a new gun so she knows what the recoil is going to be like and she can decide if the wants to shoot more after.

Does the P30 have a shorter trigger reach than the VP9? I was under the impression that they had the same basic grip shape and I thought it would be right out because of that.

Noted about the G42. She doesn't like Glocks because it feels very blocky and uncomfortable. She didn't like the M&P Shield because the shape of the grip didn't fit her had. Between the three she preferred the Walther PPS M2.

She shot a friend's SP101 with 37 specials and did not like it. It was months ago so I can't remember why something with the size and balance of the gun (too much weight forward I think?) or maybe the recoil? I thought she should try a larger gun like a 686 or a GP100 and had her hold a GP100 but she found it too large and heavy.

I looked at the Sig P290 and added it to the list to try. I'm a little concerned with the trigger being a DAO model but I'll at least have her dry fire one in a store to see if she wants to shoot it. I'll do the same with the Sig SR9c.

It's a shame to hear that about the P07. I hope the new P10c will be better and not at all because I want an excuse to add another CZ to my collection.
    Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but she sounds rather picky. Given her propensity for needing a specific dimension in a pistol (easy to reach trigger) I think she should give some of these other options more of a chance than simply dismissing them.

They are guns after all. Defensive tools to be used in an emergency. They're not supposed to feel like a pedicure.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I thought the SRT trigger stood for Short Reset Trigger not Short Reach Trigger? I thought it'd help with the reset not the initial starting position of the trigger?
    Unfortunately it's interchangeable when referring to those two completely separate items, which is why you'll typically never see me using SRT when referring to either of those things.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but she sounds rather picky.
    We live in a golden age of handguns right now, let's be thankful that she, and the rest of us, can afford to be picky due to the great amount of choices; though I agree that more extended sessions with the guns would help her more.

Oh, and yes, the trigger reach of the P30 is shorter than that of the VP9

I have a daughter with small hands. She loves the Ruger LC9 pro, it's the one she finds comfortable and fun to shoot. Set her with a couple of 9 rounds mags for the range.

Didn't we see some rave reviews of the Sig 250 in .380 a few months back? http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ch...ime-gun-buyer/

15 round mags. Tamara authored that.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-28-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Small sub compact

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...mall-grip.html

Small compact

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...new-style.html

I've ordered frames from top gun as well as springer precision. They are out there, I've owned them
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List