Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations on 9mm guns with short trigger reach

I have a fun-sized wife and she likes the RTF Glock 19 with SSvi Tyr Trigger and Wilson 9mm 1911. Made the swap from carrying a P228 and P01 because of her smaller hands and DA/SA trigger. I also have a Gen4 G17 and she got me a Vortex Venom to put on it and with no backstrap she can shoot it but says she likes the metal triggered guns and sliding 1911 trigger.

I'd recommend a polymer framed striker fired gun (glock, M&P, P320, etc) and keep in account the trigger shoe.

Good luck!

Site Supporter
    Have you thought about a Browning Hi Power? Also, I have a Beretta 92G Vertec with a Wilson short reach trigger, and it seems to have quite a short trigger reach. Some thinner grips would shorten the reach even more. Vertecs are tough to find right now, but the M9A3 should be equivalent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    The HK P30 with small side and back inserts is great for people with smaller hands. The paddle mag release is also easier to reach, and the large slide release levers provide leverage for someone without much finger strength.
    Ditto, the P30SK with small grips all around is also pretty small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife is 5'5" and maybe 110 lbs. soaking wet with boots on. Our 7 year olds hands are almost as big as hers. She absolutely loves the way my father-in-laws Ruger LC9s fits in her hand. Any other gun she has liked has been in .380.

Has she considered a revolver. I don't mean like air weight j frame but maybe something shoot able.

If she has very small hands I'd scratch the CZ P07 of your list. My wife has smallish hands and she has a hard time handling it.
    Eta: I have a 1st gen without the switchable backstraps, and I think its grip size is the same as the medium backstrap on the gen 2. So if the small backstrap takes a decent chunk of it may be ok. But besides the size, I could see the dimensions being an issue. My wife is very interested in trying a Sig P290(?) and a Shield. She has tried a Ruger Lc9s and she liked the feel of it, but my SR9c with with small strap was too big
    Last edited by Paltares8; 12-27-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Compact or Subcompact Sig P320 with small grip module?
    Came here to post this.

There is a big difference between the compact and sub, try both.
    i used to wannabe

HK P30Sk LEM with a 4.1 kit installed for a reduced initial trigger travel ( at rest it sets farther back ie; it's a shorter reach to get on it).
    And if you want to splurge and go all out send it to Lazy Wolf for a full action / trigger job as well not sure of the current wait time.

The typical gun forum response to the "I/my wife/child has small hands and is looking for a handgun", is often followed by a recommendation for subcompact guns. While the small hand may fit on a small grip better than a large hand, the issue is trigger reach and not that a short grip is an advantage. A short grip is usually a disadvantage.

In the double stack 9mm guns, of which it is possible that none of these may fit, with the Gen4 G19 as a baseline, the Gen4 is better than previous Gen Glocks, I also find the M&P9, Beretta PX4, HK P30/VP, Browning Hi-Power all more small hand friendly than the Gen4 G19, and that is with standard backstraps/grip panels on those guns and none on the Gen 4 G19. Small backstraps/grip panels on the M&P9, PX4, P30/VP would be an even bigger advantage.

If the issue is grip size, a single stack pistol like the P239 might be a good call. If the issue is trigger reach, any of the DA/SA, DAO pistols are LIKELY to be harder for her to reach than equivalent sized strikers. She liked the CZ83, how about a CZ P07? Good size for learning on, and the ergonomics should be similar to the 83...

User Tag List