Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Dealing with the big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not in anyway saying that size and strength are not serious weapons. I'm also not as well versed in the theory or history or practice as Southnarc and Cecil, but look at what Royce and Rickson have done against much bigger guys. There may have still been a few rules, but not many.

Also, here is one of my favorites, fo rthose of you not familiar with Master Sauer. There is a longer clip out there if you prefer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEp01vrt8bE
    Notice how he predominantly used a butterfly Guard like my earlier suggestion for when an ogre is on top of you.

I'm meh at best.
    Great example of a mismatch:

https://www.americangrit.com/2017/01...ource=ASMDSSsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USAF E5 ~ Never settle for the ordinary.

Rights cease to exist when restrictions are put on them

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Great example of a mismatch:

https://www.americangrit.com/2017/01...ource=ASMDSSsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was gonna link this when Cecil put up her match with Mackenzie Dern earlier. That was a great match; this one not so much 😎 I guess Garcia needed the $.

I'm a pretty small guy at 5'9" 185. I also wrestled all from middle school all the way to college. I've always been almost freakishly strong for my weight, especially in my legs (squat 515), but I learned early on that simply being strong doesn't mean that I can go toe to toe with someone who outweighs me by 80+ lbs, even if I happen to lift more than he can. Mass adds a strength all its own and that's something I have taken to heart. I have since taken up BJJ and what that has taught me is to avoid fights with the big dudes when and if at all possible. I have a healthy respect and even fear for what a "monster" of the aforementioned variety can do to another human being.

I have been an LEO for almost 5 years now unfortunately I can't always avoid the big guys because it's often my duty to respond, and in these instances, I prefer SLGs mindset. I have a number of options on my batman belt. I've certainly found that "command presence" and a willingness to use the tools at my disposal goes a long ways. Like DB's experience with the 7 foot tall ogre, I notice that bad dudes tend to get rather contemplative about their future when you have a G21 pointed at a ole buddy's face.

I don't have anywhere near the experience of most of the folks on this forum, but I think technique and cheating every chance you get is the only way to come out ahead. One of my best friends in college always said "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." I am sure that originated somewhere else, but I feel like the saying is certainly applicable here. I never have and never will fight fair, and absent pressing need and immediate danger, I am waiting for backup.