Site Supporter
    Great example of a mismatch:

https://www.americangrit.com/2017/01...ource=ASMDSSsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Great example of a mismatch:

https://www.americangrit.com/2017/01...ource=ASMDSSsh

I was gonna link this when Cecil put up her match with Mackenzie Dern earlier. That was a great match; this one not so much 😎 I guess Garcia needed the $.

I'm a pretty small guy at 5'9" 185. I also wrestled all from middle school all the way to college. I've always been almost freakishly strong for my weight, especially in my legs (squat 515), but I learned early on that simply being strong doesn't mean that I can go toe to toe with someone who outweighs me by 80+ lbs, even if I happen to lift more than he can. Mass adds a strength all its own and that's something I have taken to heart. I have since taken up BJJ and what that has taught me is to avoid fights with the big dudes when and if at all possible. I have a healthy respect and even fear for what a "monster" of the aforementioned variety can do to another human being.

I have been an LEO for almost 5 years now unfortunately I can't always avoid the big guys because it's often my duty to respond, and in these instances, I prefer SLGs mindset. I have a number of options on my batman belt. I've certainly found that "command presence" and a willingness to use the tools at my disposal goes a long ways. Like DB's experience with the 7 foot tall ogre, I notice that bad dudes tend to get rather contemplative about their future when you have a G21 pointed at a ole buddy's face.

I don't have anywhere near the experience of most of the folks on this forum, but I think technique and cheating every chance you get is the only way to come out ahead. One of my best friends in college always said "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." I am sure that originated somewhere else, but I feel like the saying is certainly applicable here. I never have and never will fight fair, and absent pressing need and immediate danger, I am waiting for backup.

A good hard throat punch will turn a big guy into a small guy.

A 9mm bullet will accomplish that as well only faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post

A 9mm bullet will accomplish that as well only faster.
    Until it doesn't. A big guy that's played football has been hit in the threat before. A lot.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Until it doesn't. A big guy that's played football has been hit in the threat before. A lot.
    Oddly I just had this conversation with a cop friend of mine. I told him a) I've been hit in the throat tons of times as a catcher playing baseball, in football, sticks from lacrosse and TMA and it never stopped me; b) it ain't so easy to hit someone in the throat who is aware that they're in a fight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post

And that technique was legal in the first UFCs. It was also legal in Vale Tudo (the forerunner to MMA) in Brazil for 80 years. Guess how many times people were punched in the throat? Anyone who thinks that punch is somehow easy to land apparently has never looked at another human being. Large bony things are in the way, unless you are able to pull the "look, up in the sky" routine, and when he does look, hit him. Since that is the only time you ever can get even a slight chance at the target.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    And that technique was legal in the first UFCs. It was also legal in Vale Tudo (the forerunner to MMA) in Brazil for 80 years. Guess how many times people were punched in the throat? Anyone who thinks that punch is somehow easy to land apparently has never looked at another human being. Large bony things are in the way, unless you are able to pull the "look, up in the sky" routine, and when he does look, hit him. Since that is the only time you ever can get even a slight chance at the target.
    I'm not saying you're wrong but it worked me for when a large drunk dude attacked me at a bar for talking to his gf. He pushed me, we ended up in a clinch, and after he punched me in the head a few times I managed to snake my arm up and hit him right in the throat. Fight was over. I looked way worse than him at the end but I was still able to fight while he was leaning against a table trying to breathe.

Site Supporter
    Which doesn't sound like the folks that are being talked about above...

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Exactly. I've fractured both hands in one of my MMA fights because I landed so many punches to the guy's forehead and cheekbones. That's WITH my hands wrapped and gloves on.. punching in the street isn't a good solution. You're better off learning how to grapple and choke. Use hard bones to strike like elbows and knees.

But what do I know? lol

User Tag List