Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 'one box of ammo' gun for the grandparents?

I'm also in the revolver side for a shoot it once and it lives in the drawer for the rest of the time. A decent used Smith K frame with wadcutters, or 38 Short Colts for familiarization and wadcutters for leaving in it would probably work. I don't have any hands on with the SP guns to say either way. My first thought is a K frame gun may be easier to shoot and have less kick.

Bright orange fingernail polish, with a white base coat makes regular sights much easier to see.

If they can deal with an automatic, the Ruger Standard 22s are pretty simple, especially the earlier ones without a bolt hold open and other things to remember what they do. They make gadgets that attach to the charging ears to make it easier to pull the bolt back.

Just for additional thought, the LC380 Ruger (not the LCP or LCR) could be a contender—especially the crimson trace iteration.

I also hold out high hopes for the Kimber K6 wheelie (with standard .38 wadcutters) for this role due to the especially good triggers on the examples I've seen, nice size, and steel frame weight. We will see.

One thing about the SP and GP guns, as mentioned above: the trad DA Rugers tend to have stouter trigger pulls. When I had a hand injury a few years back, I couldn't work either an SP trigger, or my GPNY, but I could still get through a cylinder or two on any of my K frames. It's fine now, but that was an eye-opener for me. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-27-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Don't be afraid of a used gun. Lots of K-Smiths out there that spent most of the time in drawer or holster.

The non-enthusiast must be kept DAO. I know two women who were considerately equipped with revolvers by their menfolks who just knew the Little Ladies could not manage the complexity of an auto. The Little Ladies did figure out that it was a lot easier to get hits with a 3 lb SA than a 12 lb DA. They also found that checking out a bump in the night with a cocked Revolver was hard on the furniture.

How about a Glock or similar? They don't have to know the manual of arms. Leave it loaded and all they have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger. No different from a revolver except three times the ammo.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 12-27-2016 at 01:11 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I'd be partial to an used Model 10 or 64 loaded with wadcutters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Don't be afraid of a used gun. Lots of K-Smiths out there that spent most of the time in drawer or holster.

The non-enthusiast must be kept DAO. I know two women who were considerately equipped with revolvers by their menfolks who just knew the Little Ladies could not manage the complexity of an auto. The Little Ladies did figure out that it was a lot easier to get hits with a 3 lb SA than a 12 lb DA. They also found that checking out a bump in the night with a cocked Revolver was hard on the furniture.

How about a Glock or similar? They don't have to know the manual of arms. Leave it loaded and all they have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger. No different from a revolver except three times the ammo.
    I agree a DAO revolver is idea for a non enthusiasts. However, giving someone an auto without understanding the manual of arms strikes me as negligent.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I think I will take them to the range and have them shoot a couple of different types of guns, and see how they do with different triggers.

Regarding used guns: I'm sure there are a lot of nice used guns out there, I am just not sure I'm able to identify them, so I was thinking of sticking with new. Of course, with cost cutting and QC being what they are these days, there is no guarantee a new one will be good to go either.

Hopefully not a derail but always wondered for situations like this whether something like a 10/22 would be a better option over forcing a handgun. if it's better to split the tread I'll do so.

Site Supporter
    There's a lot to think about here. The P250 in .380 or 9mm could be excellent. Lots of ammo, simple trigger, etc. .380 has less recoil. Revolvers can be excellent - except, they run out of ammo. If you take them shooting, take them home, clean, lube, and load the gun for them, and they never shoot it again except in that emergency you hope doesn't happen, it might be nice (since they'll never reload it anyway) if it has more bullets than fewer on that day.

Plan on it being a single use item. If they end up liking it more, then they'll learn to use whatever it is, but if it ends up being a single-use, disposable gun (ends up in the evidence locker forever and they never see it again), that one or two boxes it shoots will be all it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    I was concerned about recoil with the LCR (and similar). Maybe that concern is overblown?
    We tell men not to pick guns for their wives, why would having younger people pick guns for the elderly be any different? Take them to a range and rent a few guns including a .22. Then you'll know if they are recoil shy, can operate a slide or pull a DA trigger, or have any other issues.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'd vote for a used Model 10/64 with Crimson Trace laser grips. You could change the battery every year or two for them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List