Thread: Primer Malfunction

Hammertime

Primer Malfunction

I heard a hiss and not a bang when firing this Winchester White Box round out of a Glock 42. Waited a bit, ejected the round and saw this:

The primer appears to have ignited, but ruptured. The round was otherwise intact and the bullet remained seated.

What happened here? I had no other problems in several hundred rounds and have never seen this problem before.

Perhaps a flash hole was not punched through the case.
    Taking a break from social media.

Hammertime
    I dismantled the round. The flash hole was intact but the primer looked bizarre.

Compared to another primer up top. The side pointed toward flash hole up. I think the primer must have been stuffed in its pocket sideways somehow.

Yup.
    I have seen a number of sideways primers from maladjusted reloading presses. First in a factory load.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Yup.
    I have seen a number of sideways primers from maladjusted reloading presses. First in a factory load.
    One example of many:

الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Once you've seen the Winchester "box of horrors" that Dallas PD's FTU has accumulated, nothing surprises you. I've seen their box of bad WW factory ammo, both training and duty and have seen the same thing with Remington. Upside down projectiles, sideways primers, upside down primers, crushed case mouths, etc. You should physically/visually check every round of carry/duty ammo before you use it.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Nice. That is a nice thing about reloading your own. You can usually "feel" when something isn't loading right.

User Tag List