Page 83 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The new GX550 looks pretty good:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-release-date/

It's always tough making the choice between SUV and small truck. The new GX looks like a well designed product. If the price isn't astronomical it could be a good option.

I really like the 8000lb tow rating.
    I'm hoping the 4Runner gets announced soon and it's similar to that but 20K less or something. Prices for the '23 near me range from 60-75K and I'm sure the '24 will have some kind of price hike, so I wouldn't call them affordable. When you think a Rubicon 4xe is 70K and Grand Cherokee starts at over 60K, I guess they aren't bad especially if you think the reliability will be there.

In the Tacoma, considering long term, high mileage use, with no towing planned, is there an advantage to the 4 cylinder or V6 for long term lifespan?

I've got an upcoming oil change coming up, and while looking up my local Ram dealer info I stumbled on the "New 2023" 1500 inventory tab...First truck I saw was a Laramie at $85k...I mean ok a Laramie but sweet Jesus I hadn't realized how much trucks have gone up in last few years. It confirmed my plan to just keep on keeping on with my '21 Big Horn.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I've got an upcoming oil change coming up, and while looking up my local Ram dealer info I stumbled on the "New 2023" 1500 inventory tab...First truck I saw was a Laramie at $85k...I mean ok a Laramie but sweet Jesus I hadn't realized how much trucks have gone up in last few years. It confirmed my plan to just keep on keeping on with my '21 Big Horn.
    I think Stellantis has gone crazy in particular. I also think that in 10 years you just aren't going to see as many full size trucks on the freeway anymore. When i bought my '15 Laramie 1500 it was substantially less than a a full size SUV and it really didn't cost much more than a tacoma or colorado, or even a Honda Pilot or something like that. To some extent I didn't want a full size truck but it in a way it seemed like the best deal.

For an all around family hauler, road trip vehicle etc it wasn't that expensive. That isn't the case anymore.

Dealers around here still seem to be in the "stock 150 full size trucks, 5 mid size mode" but I think that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    In the Tacoma, considering long term, high mileage use, with no towing planned, is there an advantage to the 4 cylinder or V6 for long term lifespan?
    The current taco is underpowered do to balky transmission with the v6. If a 4 is available it would be much worse (talking 4x4 screw)

The new taco has a 4 turbo and early adapters should buy an extended warranty.

For long term a current v6 is best option with excellent resale

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I think Stellantis has gone crazy in particular. I also think that in 10 years you just aren't going to see as many full size trucks on the freeway anymore. When i bought my '15 Laramie 1500 it was substantially less than a a full size SUV and it really didn't cost much more than a tacoma or colorado, or even a Honda Pilot or something like that. To some extent I didn't want a full size truck but it in a way it seemed like the best deal.

For an all around family hauler, road trip vehicle etc it wasn't that expensive. That isn't the case anymore.

Dealers around here still seem to be in the "stock 150 full size trucks, 5 mid size mode" but I think that will change.
    If one is in a rural area at all the mid sized dont sell do to similar price points to full sized with full sized having much more capability.

And demand is much higher for full sized in general

Got this knocked out today.

To answer some my own questions:

There is a large electrical multi-plug on the driver's side, pictured below with the red arrow. Does anyone know what the release mechanism is for these kinds of plugs so I can pull it out of the harness?
    The plug is retained with a bail (white plastic) and two camover locking tabs. You can see this easier from above, it the bumper is pulled slightly out (must undo 4x16mm nuts and 2x15mm bolts). Release by pulling up on the bail, this also pushes the connector out. So easy a Caveman could do it.

I don't expect this to take long. I'll post back with a summary once the new parts are in.
    I started around 7 and was done by 10, including time locating my 10mm socket (Bwahahahahahaha, for reals). Actually it wasn't bad. I was thinking for some reason the bumper would be unwieldy, and it was just me, so I tied a couple come along straps to hold it. Didn't need to. I suppose the bumper weighs, maybe, 10 lbs, if that.

I opted to replace both brackets, since A) I had them already and B) although the passenger side bracket was the most bent, turns out the driver's side was slightly also.

Pulling off the plastic trim was a pain, there are 100s of release clips (ok, maybe 20 but it seemed like it) you have to undo. Also very late in the process I realized (of friggin' course) I had to undo the two LED license plate lights (aforementioned 10mm) assemblies. Much more bueno after that. Then trim cover just popped off. I wished I had removed the LED licence plate assy's first. You have to remove the plastic trim to get to the T40 Torx bolt heads (3 per bracket). The 13mm bolts (three per brackets) are easier.

Brackets came from moparpartsgiant ($62 shipped via Fedex), and are OEM. The studs on them had some kind of threadlocker; green, which I've never seen before. I dunno what the torque value was (no shop manual) but I put in the region of 50-60 lbs (guess) on the nuts/bolts, slightly less on the T40/13 mm bolts. They are tight.

I had all the tools, I just had to pick up a set of three 3/8" wobble extensions (HF, $9.99) to reach some of the fasteners. Just the usual stuff; trim tool, flat blade, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, my 1/2" cordless driver, various ratchets, and a Torx T40 bit / T40 T-wrench. Oh and my 2 1/2 lb dead blow to pop the clips back in place at the end.

Shown below, mid stream, new brackets just behind existing bumper assy.

Name:  IMG_2743.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  86.8 KB

Truck is now good to go. Bumper position is now back to as per factory, looks straight, and my hitch is 100% functional. Ok I have a very small dimple in the cover from the accident, but hey it's a truck. I wasn't going to spend $926 to swap it out for new, that's for sure. As a attempt to reduce the risk of this happening again, I got one of those "taillight" receiver LED lights you plug into the trailer harness. The truck has high mounted brake, but I feel like this might help drivers behind me see me more clearly. Anyway it was only like $15 and doesn't look horrible.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-11-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not really a truck, but truck adjacent:

The 2024 Wrangler is pretty nice. The interior updates make it a much more interesting and livable DD, IMO. We just spent 9 days with a Sahara as a rental, driving it on a bit of Jeep trail/unmaintained road but mostly on pavement, though Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. We found it to be both comfortable and versatile. Fold flat rear seats really helped with cargo space.

Got caught in a pea size hail storm at high elevation and it was LOUD AF on the roof panels, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If you own an F150 without the subwoofer behind the rear seat, buy this NOW. You'll thank me, in the off chance you want to say, store something about SBR/AUG sized

https://amzn.to/3RvRk5L
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you own an F150 without the subwoofer behind the rear seat, buy this NOW.
    Why wasn't I informed of this sooner?...
    I have wonder how that comes loose. This looks like a great place to store cardboard targets out of sight.

User Tag List