Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

My brother runs an 80's HiLux, and I'm in an 84 K5 Blazer. We'll buck the system as long as we can. Aside from gas and oil, they can't regulate us.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    A 45-50k manual diesel with sparse interior and no 48" touch screen kind of a no go on the Hilux (think market not the 50 people you know who say they will buy it and the 3 that actually do)

EPA regulations have all but killed diesels.....gov wants electric so they can control us more. Hard to import diesels and expensive for manufactures to modify. Easier to build a diesel around emissions than modify existing design.
    One of the points is it wouldn't be 45-50k wthout all the tech

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    One of the points is it wouldn't be 45-50k wthout all the tech

It would require massive emission systems modifications
    For a very small, true market

The Hilux is probably mostly cool because we can’t get it

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    If someone started building 90s Toyota trucks, brand new, for a decent price, they would probably outsell the new Tacos. Someone call Palmetto State Armory.

The Toyota Hilux is popular in a lot of countries. I thought there was a strange import restriction that made it hard for them to bring them into the US without making them here. But that may be confabulation on my part.
    You can't import new stuff because it hasn't passed US safety standards. You can import 25 year old stuff, I guess it's more of a collectable at that point.

No manufacturer imports light trucks because of the "chicken tax" a 25% tariff on foreign light trucks. I don't think that would apply to someone bringing in a 25 year old truck but, I don't really know.

It would require massive emission systems modifications
    For a very small, true market

The Hilux is probably mostly cool because we can’t get it
    It doesn't have to be specifically Hilux nor imported. The trucks is or has already been made here, or made for the US market. Size and shape maybe harder to change but offering a basic model without the entertainment center or push start shouldn't be that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    It doesn't have to be specifically Hilux nor imported. The trucks is or has already been made here, or made for the US market. Size and shape maybe harder to change but offering a basic model without the entertainment center or push start shouldn't be that difficult.

Got it. We are on a different page.

I think that Toyota in my area seems to be able to sell every Tacoma they can make and there’s a shortage and there’s more profit for the manufacture in more content so I don’t see them really pursuing a how cheap can we make it market. It would be interesting to see a plastic seat regular cab short box four by with no electronics on it like they make for Third World countries.

A 45-50k manual diesel with sparse interior and no 48" touch screen kind of a no go on the Hilux (think market not the 50 people you know who say they will buy it and the 3 that actually do)

EPA regulations have all but killed diesels.....gov wants electric so they can control us more. Hard to import diesels and expensive for manufactures to modify. Easier to build a diesel around emissions than modify existing design.
    I think they have gas, single cab, 4x2 hilux models starting at something well under $20K US in Australia. I thought I remember reading they can't bring them in for some regulatory reason that I can't recall and am too lazy to look into. But maybe I am just confused and spouting nonsense. It wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    No manufacturer imports light trucks because of the "chicken tax" a 25% tariff on foreign light trucks. I don't think that would apply to someone bringing in a 25 year old truck but, I don't really know.
    This is what I was remembering. This is evil. This is why I can't have a nice little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’m not a truck guy, so do any of y’all know if this type of damage involves the frame? Or is the receiver separate? I’ll post back once we get to a shop for an estimate, but I was curious. I’m worried about being able to insert a hitch into the receiver, and / or damage to the sub frame in that area.

Attachment 104914
    Hard to tell from that picture, but it is possible the frame got a little tweaked. I wouldn't worry about it structurally, but these days I wouldn't be surprised if the shop wanted to turn that into a $10,000 frame replacement rather than a $500-1000 frame realignment.

The justification is that automakers are increasingly using high tensile steels that can lose strength if bent too far or if heated.

It is hilarious that that one of the advertised improvements is 4 wheel disc brakes…….in 2023. But such is Toyota. Are there any other new “light duty” vehicles sold in the US with drum brakes?

It is also a bit surprising that they offer two rear suspension options but I guess Toyota does that on the 4 runner too.

With 8 different trim levels I wonder if the plan is for the Taco to straddle competitive market levels or if Toyota has a planned competitor for the Maverick in the works.

At any rate it looks like a good truck.

User Tag List