Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Site Supporter
    So I randomly search through Autotrader (and similar sites ) for vehicles that interest me. I'm not a truck guy, as I don't tow anything, but I have occasionally thought about one just for hauling bulky stuff. So I searched for 4wd, 4 door trucks less than $30,000, and I got a giant pile of hits. I was expecting 10 years old stuff with 100,000+ miles, but I saw plenty of 5-ish year old stuff with ~50,000 miles and V8s decent trim levels. Stuff that I thought cost north of 50k new.

Now, as I said, I don't look at truck prices a lot, but it seems like everything used in half-decent condition is going for close to new, but thatvdoesnt seem to be the case with trucks. Am I just compeltey off-base about truck price trends or is there something else going on?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone else feel like they should take all these marketing, and design, and other non-essential auto workers and train them on something useful like finding or making the parts they can’t seem to get?

What’s the point of all these rollouts, new announcements, first model limited edition orders, etc.? None of this shit is “real”.
    This is what happens when you have a global supply chain. The price would double on some of this stuff if it was made in the US.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I needed a truck to haul dirt and gravel to build up my road and start working on berms at my property. I bought a dump truck instead. CAT engine and I can haul 23k in the dump bed.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone else feel like they should take all these marketing, and design, and other non-essential auto workers and train them on something useful like finding or making the parts they can’t seem to get?

What’s the point of all these rollouts, new announcements, first model limited edition orders, etc.? None of this shit is “real”.
    They kind of are, in a way, at least with chips. Design teams have redesigned components to be more flexible with which chip is used, for example, and automakers are parterning with each other to try and bring more manufacturing back to the US. I don't remotely understand how microchips are made, but apparently it involves allowing silicon crystals to naturally grow and that process can't be sped up so it requires a lot of infrastructure build out to produce a significant number.

You still can't get a Bronco in a reasonable time period, but F-150s are rolling out. I talked to Ford Marketing today in an attempt to get a PCO and was told as long as I do the "stop/start delete" and "connected services delete" I'd get my Tremor in a few months most likely. I don't want either of those features to begin with, so saving roughly $500 to not have them is a win/win for me. Production starts in November. If I get a PCO, I'm ordering one as I don't think prices are going down next year or rebates are going to make a comeback like I'd hoped. The chip shortage is persisting, used truck prices are still ridiculous, and if I can get a $2500 or $3000 PCO I'm pulling the trigger. Every time I think about the midsize trucks I realize they get the same fuel economy as the full size, yet come with much smaller fuel tanks. I've mentioned before I love range. We drove 7 hours home from the Wisconsin Dells and didn't stop for fuel once and I still have 1/4 tank. I like the idea of the Raptor, but just have trouble paying the price a used one commands vs the same money in a new Tremor, and while I could financially buy a new Raptor, ordering one goes to your point. It's vaporware that may or may not materialize.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    So I randomly search through Autotrader (and similar sites ) for vehicles that interest me. I'm not a truck guy, as I don't tow anything, but I have occasionally thought about one just for hauling bulky stuff. So I searched for 4wd, 4 door trucks less than $30,000, and I got a giant pile of hits. I was expecting 10 years old stuff with 100,000+ miles, but I saw plenty of 5-ish year old stuff with ~50,000 miles and V8s decent trim levels. Stuff that I thought cost north of 50k new.

Now, as I said, I don't look at truck prices a lot, but it seems like everything used in half-decent condition is going for close to new, but thatvdoesnt seem to be the case with trucks. Am I just compeltey off-base about truck price trends or is there something else going on?
    Trucks have been holding their value very well for many years now, but perhaps you're seeing the drop from previous generations? I think all the major domestics revamped their trucks within the past 3 years.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post

The price increased dramatically the past few years. Not long ago 10K off MSRP was sort of standard for an american truck. The "north of 50K" is a fairly recent development.

If you go here:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ram/1500/2019

pick a year, then hit configurations at the top, you can look at MSRP vs an average paid.

It starts getting close to MSRP in 2019 and MSRP and over around 2020. A 2017 Limited Ram was 35-37K per that site. If you buy one with 50K on it for 30,000, that seller is doing all right. So are you considering a new one is 60K.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I bought a dump truck instead.[/IMG]
    And then someday when the berms are built you can probably sell the dump box and build something cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've mentioned before I love range. We drove 7 hours home from the Wisconsin Dells and didn't stop for fuel once and I still have 1/4 tank.
    I have mentioned the time when we were leaving northern Michigan to come home (~400mi) from snowmobiling and my buddy who persists in buying trucks with little tanks asked when will we need to get fuel, and I told him "Probably Tuesday or Wednesday."

Every time one of these brand new trucks pulls aside me in my 38yo Chevy K5, I feel like I'm driving the better truck. If I put $15k worth of work in it, I bet I'd never want a new truck again

I'm still keeping my eye on the preowned "1/2 ton" market. I'm specifically looking for a Crew Cab with the 6.5' bed (most are 5.5'), which seems to limit me to the Ford, and even those are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    and anecdotally the Ecoboost seems to be hit/miss for 100k+ mile reliability even with obsessive maintenance.
    Given that I'll likely be buying pre-owned at about the 50k miles range, I'm concerned about this. Is there a year range that's better or worse? Anything I can have the mechanic look for?
    David S.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have mentioned the time when we were leaving northern Michigan to come home (~400mi) from snowmobiling and my buddy who persists in buying trucks with little tanks asked when will we need to get fuel, and I told him "Probably Tuesday or Wednesday."

The downside being, of course, you need to take out a new mortgage for every refill.

If I top off my Tundra, it usually gives me between 515-535mi range. I like that. The 2013 I had, on the other hand, had the capacity of an old mans bladder.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List