Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Just an update I was up half the night looking at used Raptors... Can I get someone to cosign I have ARs for collateral?

My wife asked if Darryl was aiming for stuff trying to get Mario Kart bonus points.
    Last edited by Bratch; 12-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Just an update I was up half the night looking at used Raptors... Can I get someone to cosign I have ARs for collateral?

My wife asked if Darryl was aiming for stuff trying to get Mario Kart bonus points.
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Glad Darryl is getting the blame for being the enabler this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Glad Darryl is getting the blame for being the enabler this time.
    You're not off the list yet she said something about unfriending you on FB, whatever that means

Site Supporter
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]great!! Thanks for the sell out, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Can't tell why/how you need a new vehicle or why it must be a truck.

What is your lifestyle relative to operating a vehicle and/or traveling?
    Average roadway/terrain that you must or wish to travel?
    What is your budget?
    What mpg requirement, or other requirement?
    If its not a true need, then get what you really want.

A few thoughts in general, though I already realize this thread isn't about practical.

100k miles used to be a death knell for most vehicles. That's dated thinking though, most current vehicles easily go 200K without much effort. 100K is the first tune up interval for most now. Ive bought vehicles with 175K and drove them another 100K. Towards the end they ended up needing some major service (one Suburban needed a transfer case rebuild, another need a transmission rebuild), but in the overall picture I took it as part of the cost of driving them, which wasn't all that much in the final reckoning.

Trucks. I used to be a die hard truck user. I ALWAYS had a shell on the back, I used them out in the hills a lot, camping, often sleeping in the back for quick and easy overnighters or stopping on the road if a room wasn't available. Also didn't like worrying about camp gear, tools, dogs etc being out in the weather or unsecured. If it didn't fit in the back or on top I didn't haul it. A flatbed trailer later more than dealt with anything I needed to haul, including other vehicles. People kept asking me why I didn't get a Suburban or 4wd van or some such... Fast forward, I ended up with a Suburban. Rear AC for the dogs was one draw. I realized they would go anyplace my pickups would for the most part. Once I had one, I thought "WTF was I doing with a truck for so long?" Now, I just don't quite get trucks for most uses. Perhaps its one of those cultural or mind things that many seem to put priority on but seem to go by me.

I sold my Lightning with a shell when my kid came along. Replaced it with a Suburban that I loved for family stuff. The big issue was I was doing a ton of teaching at the time. I could fit a crap load of stuff in the back, but it wasn't secure so everything had to come out at night, and when you have twenty dirty AR's/ or just cleaned and lubed depending on the day, ammo, brass, and various range stuff the interior got both dirty and smelled of gun stuff. Compromise has been the Avalanche and now the Super Crew Raptor. Secured rear for gun stuff that is not visible and a large interior where I can move a lot of people if needed, or lately, a hundred pound shepherd who fits nicely with the rear seat in the up position.

I wanted to get a shell, but the Raptor experts at TMX talked me out of it as Raptors are notorious for cracking them because you tend not to think about it when off road and the speeds you find yourself driving off road even when not intended......sort of like a true performance vehicle on the highway where it doesn't feel like you are going as fast as you actually are.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Suburban wasn't secure but a shelled pickup is?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    My Lightning had a shell with no side windows and lockable storage under the flat deck and invisible from the outside.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I drive a '93 GMC Sonoma with 143,000 miles and it runs like a top. The money I save on payments and insurance goes to guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My Lightning had a shell with no side windows and lockable storage under the flat deck and invisible from the outside.
    On a couple of my pickups I built a bed on one half with a two part hinged top that padlocked to secure it. From outside it looked like a bed for the most part. With extra cab pickups, not true 4 doors, Id build a dog platform behind the front seat, with storage underneath that was out of sight yet handy. Either or both usually had large dogs on them, so nobody looked that hard most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Current vehicle is a 4runner. I built a platform/box in the back that the dog rides on top of, and is secured from access from the front. Its nice for out of sight storage of all sorts of items. Its accessible from the rear door, but will eventually get a lockable door on the box. As is, its closed up and secured during travel with bolts, so at least a smash and grab isn't going to get much. Had a similar platform for the suburban, but didn't have it boxed in like the one for the 4runner. Still handy for storage that doesn't take all the floor space.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-25-2016 at 11:28 PM.

User Tag List