Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Trucks

Got a maintenance question for you guys.

Truck is a 2016 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 with Cummins Turbo diesel.

Dropped off for a oil change and fuel filter service today at the dealer, they suggested a front and rear diff service at $159, each. Seems kinda high to me?

I did check the service schedule from Mopar, and it says 20,000 or 2 years for drain/fill, but only for 'frequent trailer towing'. I tow a 6,500 # TT, for maybe 7,500 of the current 29k miles on the truck. Is that 'frequent'?

Is this something I can get done at a good independent mechanic, I assume? I was also going to look into doing the transfer case as well.

I'd do this at home but I don't really have the tools, space or ability to dispose of the old diff Fluid like I used to.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-17-2017 at 10:03 AM.

I don't agree with factory intervals but I do like to change them. In order of importance in my mind:

1. Transfercase
    2. Rear diff
    3. Front diff.
    i used to wannabe

That's not bad rich....I charge $120 a hour for labor. Diff fluid is probably @ $9-16 a quart depending on synthetic or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Wait till you see how much trans fluid you'll need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Dropped off for a oil change and fuel filter service today at the dealer, they suggested a front and rear diff service at $159, each. Seems kinda high to me?
    $159 is probably on the high side, but if you don't already have a trusted mechanic, the effort put into finding one will probably not be worth the money saved.

I've always thought the first change on the rear differential should be done around 5,000 miles. It's probably not necessary that early but that first one tends to be the bad one with all the metal shavings from parts wearing in together.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Rich, if you do end up finding a trusted mechanic at an independent shop, I would still let the dealer do the transmission. Most independent shops use 1-2 different types of transmission fluid and then put in a additive that magically makes it work for multiple vehicles.. the dealer will use the same fluid that's in there now.

You'd be better off letting a indepent do everything else though, this is the only thing I'd go to the dealer for other than warranty work and computer programming.
    i used to wannabe

Trucks

^^^ Thanks all.

I used to have the three car garage, roll top tool chest, ramps, creeper etc. to do this kind of job. It irks me to pay someone to undo a 14mm hex plug and watch fluid drain into a catch can.

I mean, I used to do my diff every 30k, easy drain and fill.

Sigh.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-18-2017 at 04:16 PM.

It isn't difficult at all. My 14 year old son did it with some supervision from Dad.

They do use a synthetic fluid as listed in the owners manual. Mine is a 2004 and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube and meets the Mopar ratings. If I remember right was around $14 for a 1 qt. bottle. In our case we just pulled the entire diff covers as there is only a fill plug on the 2004, and the seal is an o-ring type which is reusable.

Most of your local auto parts stores will take the used fluid.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    It isn't difficult at all. My 14 year old son did it with some supervision from Dad.

They do use a synthetic fluid as listed in the owners manual. Mine is a 2004 and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube and meets the Mopar ratings. If I remember right was around $14 for a 1 qt. bottle. In our case we just pulled the entire diff covers as there is only a fill plug on the 2004, and the seal is an o-ring type which is reusable.

Most of your local auto parts stores will take the used fluid.
    14, huh?

Ok, ok; I'll go out today and have a look under the rear diff, as a start. Maybe it won't be that bad if I need a couple items, like maybe a hex socket and a simple hand pump. Heck, I had to buy a grease gun other day for some zerk fittings on the trailer so perhaps the tools will fit in my Ram Boxes somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 01-20-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    ...Heck, I had to buy a grease gun other day for some zerk fittings on the trailer so perhaps the tools will fit in my Ram Boxes somewhere.

Grease gun tip, they are often a nuisance to hold the gun, keep the tip on the zerk, and pump the handle. If you get two of the long-ish flexible hoses and install both, you can lay the gun on the ground, hold the tip on the fitting, and pump with the free hand, the ground or propped against your leg or body holding the gun nicely for the most part.

User Tag List