Page 23 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    What’s up with the new Frontier? I don’t follow Nissan closely.

I really want out of my SUV before hunting season this fall but you’re right, the market blows right now. I don’t know much about the Colorados, I’ve read enough about head gasket issues with the Ranger motor that I’m gonna pass on that.

So am I to take it that even in the 6 speed manual I’m better off passing on the Tacoma now?
    Don't Know what you read or where you live but the car market is f-dup right now so if you don't need to make a move don't.

Nissan will NOT hold its value anywhere near a Taco. There's a reason.....

Manuels are just about gone. Some Toyota dealers don't order them for stock. (easy to trade for)

All mid sized trucks are underpowered they weigh almost as much as a full sized and have much smaller motors.

A Taco will likely get worse milage than a FS Silverado as an example (friend has both).

Toyotas and Hondas are not as good as they once were but still better than the rest. (most auto problems [short term] with all manufactures are with tech/electronic android apple shit)

If image is not a concern a Ridgeline is the most useful small truck on the market. Few people take their $50k vehicle wheelin despite the capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My neighbor who spends his free time buying derelicts and restoring them just bought a neighbors 82 Chey 3/4 pickup. I don't think it was running when he bought it. Yesterday I saw it on the road. The very odd part about this is it's a 6.2 L diesel. Not a mod because it has the badge on the tailgate. The body is in good shape and it has a little over 110K on it. He asked me if I wanted it and I'm still thinking about it. I sold my Duramax so don't have a PU anymore.

Anyone know anything about these early 6.2 liter engines? Are they the ones that were built by modifying a gas block. It doesn't have a turbo charger so power is going to be in the low range. I didn't drive it. I've read that GM had many problems with them so I'm doing some research now.
    Brother had one and had very good luck with it.

Due to the heavier crank and rods to take the compression it was a popular choice to convert to gas and use as a budget race car motor.

If it shits the bed a 350 bolts right up.

Good mileage not much power.

Remember if the injectors go out on a diesel it will cost more to fix than you probably would pay for the truck or a new gas motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Brother had one and had very good luck with it.

Due to the heavier crank and rods to take the compression it was a popular choice to convert to gas and use as a budget race car motor.

If it shits the bed a 350 bolts right up.

Good mileage not much power.

Remember if the injectors go out on a diesel it will cost more to fix than you probably would pay for the truck or a new gas motor.
    Once again, the 6.2 is not the 5.7 Olds diesel. It cannot be converted to gasoline, but that old 5.7 could.

Injectors on common rail engines are ridiculously expensive. Injectors for a 6.2 or 6.5 chevy diesel will set you back less than $350. 7.3 Powerstroke injectors have dropped to less than $1000 for a set of 8 stock level injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wait, just wait. The market is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So am I to take it that even in the 6 speed manual I’m better off passing on the Tacoma now?
    Now is not the time to buy a car, truck, van... or house.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    The 6.2 is a relic from another time, but then again, I'm finding myself to be as well.
    Somewhat irrelevant fun trivia fact, they are still being made (6.5L version) near where I live to sustain the HMMWV, not far from where the Duramax are built.
    https://www.amgeneral.com/what-we-do...nents/#engines

Name:  GEP.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  85.4 KB

When I worked at the coal mine my first company truck was a 2500 Chevrolet with the 6.5L diesel. When that thing started up cold it sounded like a barrel of bolts rolling down the stairs. Once it warmed up it was like a barrel of bolts rolling down a bumpy grass hill. It wasn't much the power department but it (or truck) was lighter than the newer Duramax equipped trucks so it didn't get stuck nearly as easy. I would have much preferred it have the 350 or the 454 but we purchased diesel trucks for....spurious reasons so we were stuck the diesel options. I don't recall it breaking more or less than the newer trucks but we were hard on everything so not a good data point. The newer Duramax trucks were like a rocket ship but they sat lower to the ground than the older trucks. The Duramaxs also had a low slung transmission crosspiece that would just channel mud onto the tops of the transmission which was......not great.

I kind of miss the truck but I don't miss the engine........or maybe I just miss being 25.......

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    maybe I just miss being 25.......

or if you prefer a modern bearded country singer...

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

or if you prefer a modern bearded country singer...

Both are good!

2022 Ram 1500 GT Package

Includes (unfortunately mostly cosmetic and/or nothing performance-wise you can't already get via options or MOPAR)
    • 3.92 axle
    • cold air intake
    • performance exhaust
    • TRX Paddle shifter
    • TRX center console shifter (in lieu of "normal" RAM dial shifter)

I’m really tired of COVID fucking up everything. I’ve pretty much settled on an F150 but I’m not doing anything until prices come back down to earth. Only thing I’m not sure about is if I’ll go 5.0 or ecoboost. I’ll be buying used and a few years old so I’m leaning towards the 5.0 since used turbos make me nervous.

User Tag List