Page 90 of 93 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Got rear ended. Yes, again. Anybody know if this looks like frame rails might be bent?

Driver did a hit and run, but I’d guess he hit maybe 25-30 mph.

Stand by for pics.

Picked up my truck today from the Auto Body shop. All is well. Estimate was $5,700, which State Farm picked up because the other driver was at fault. No frame damage, most all of the rear end parts were replaced with factory parts, just a small bit of paint work on the lower valence (?) on the left after they removed a few panels.

Drove it home, and remembered why I love my truck.

I am now shopping for a 2" receiver hitch. Maybe with a Claymore Mine accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Reference the armor doo-dads for receiver hitches, keep in mind they are safer for your vehicle and less safe for occupants. Plenty of research out there from various regulatory and insurance entities if you care to look. Basically all say the same: Less damage to the car, especially at low speeds, but transmits the force directly to the frame creating a much sharper pulse of energy to the occupants (same amount of energy applied over shorter period of time) increasing risk of injury in moderate to severe crashes.

Roll your dice, take your chances.
    Appreciate the tip, I had missed this post since it has been so long since I dropped off the truck. I'll see if I can dig out some info on this point.

Toyota to bring a $10K truck to market.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5O5Wr2...zcqOqXK5umb80o

Sorry about the iPhone video paste. Not sure why.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Now if only the IMVs would come stateside... but that seems pretty unlikely.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

For the lazy (like me)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Appreciate the tip, I had missed this post since it has been so long since I dropped off the truck. I'll see if I can dig out some info on this point.
    Ended up buying one of these:

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-02-01 07-05-53.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  36.4 KB

https://a.co/d/2ONxFQM

Research I did indicated that a hitch placed in the receiver may, or may not, affect the accident results/likelihood of frame damage. One site I saw compared trucks with a receiver and hitch installed, to those without a receiver, at all (I assume by "receiver" they meant the entirety of the steel frame bolted to the frame rails, not just the 2" x 2" steel box). Other anecdotal stories varied from "I got hit from behind, didn't do a thing to my truck" to "if you get hit, the hitch is just going to punch the radiator but you are still going to get the impact."

However based on the folks traveling in my truck (me, my wife, and our new grand babies that just arrived last week ) I opted for the Weathertech option. My sense is being polymer it will deform and may absorb some of the momentum of impact before it hits the receiver, perhaps lessening the chance of neck injury.

My truck has been rear-ended twice now, so I'm not too worried about truck damage, since the Carfax reflects the loss of value, already. So if it happens again, no big deal. And I have used many, many Weathertech products over the years, so I trust they got their engineering right.

So the Weathershield Bump Step arrived. I got it for $50, it’s the older square 12” model. I can see how the polymer matrix could absorb some impact. Doesn’t come with a pin, but I have them already. Fits in the 2 x 2 receiver fine, and has several holes to allow it to fit fairly snug under the license plate area.

Name:  IMG_3734.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3735.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  77.6 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The WeatherTech bumper is solid. I’ve owned a few. It was particularly handy when I parked in a multi-level garage at work. The spaces were narrow, and I’d always hunt down one in a corner to minimize chances of door dings. I’d also back in. Getting as far back to the wall as possible protected my rear tire from theft and also prevented access to the bed via the tailgate. I never worried about scuffing the bumper. I used to live within a short drive of their HQ. Great folks. Very friendly. There’s a small bistro in the store and they’ll make you a coffee for free while they pull your order. I’ve used their mats, bed covers, liners, dog seat protectors, finish products...you name it. Always been 100% satisfied.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I thought this was pretty informative. Very helpful when wading through the pool of Fords engines. I have seen a couple of this guys videos and have been impressed with his knowledge of F150s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXNYpP8swmo

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List