Page 25 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Westtexasrancher View Post
    So as someone who is selling his camaro due to needing a 4wd truck or SUV for rural first response and hauling stuff that won't fit in my wifes car, should I be looking at new or used? Sucks that I'll be ready to buy at the end of next month, in this nonsense. Suggestions?

Only requirements are 4 doors, 4wd, enough power to get up and go when I have a few hundred lbs of equipment and 800lbs of men, power to push a truck out of the way or pull a truck, drive through crappy muddy medians. And won't leave me stranded on a desert road 75 miles from civilization. Looking at 4door trucks from the usual folks, and tahoes.
    The spread on pricing between new and decent used has been pretty thin on trucks for years and is razor thin now. I'd look at new, personally. The Ram Classic is a solid option for a lower cost on a full size truck, if you can find one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

For most trucks around here, you might as well buy new. If you really want used, you can find relative bargains on the Toyota Sequoia (SUV version of the Tundra) and Lexus LX (Lexus version of Toyota Landcruiser).

Thanks, ya'll!
    EMS, Rescue, Fire, fun stuff

Site Supporter
    For a whole host of reasons, to include the Claycomo Ford Plant, the KCMO area is big time truck oriented.

I would buy new all day long given pricing, availability, warranty and financing deals.

There is a Ford dealer here in the area that says even now they are selling trucks (indeed all fords) at 50.00 over factory invoice.

It might be worth taking a look at their website to see how it compares to the prices you are seeing where you are.

I am not affiliated nor have I bought from them. I make no warranties re the accuracy of their claims. I am merely offering a data point.

https://www.louisburgford.com/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've made contact with about 4 dealers in this area about a new Tundra Limited. Nobody has any in the double cab configuration that I want. They have vehicles listed on their websites but when you make human contact they tell you those vehicles are not available as they have buyers already. Their listed inventory is just a come on to get perspective buyers. I actually stopped by one dealer that had inventory on the website but there wasn't a single truck on the lot.

I was just doing the math on a trade and I didn't see a yuge problem with prices. KBB lists my 4R 3K over what I paid for it 2 years ago. If dealers are selling at MSRP, which I think they are, they're going to make profit on both the vehicle they sell and my trade. Used to be before the perfect storm you could easily get a vehicle for $500 over dealer cost but I seriously doubt you could do that today. But the fact that a dealer is going to pay KBB for a trade puts you right back in the game. Low mileage used is pretty close to new MSRP these days. The only reason I can think of to buy used is they actually may have something you want on the lot.

I know I'm not going to find a truck to buy anytime soon. We're getting close to the new model year and Toyota has a brand new redesigned Tundra. They may not want to put resources into building the current model for a few more months. Hence no inventory. Most people now are just going to wait for the 2022 to land.

If anyone has any insight on 2021 current model production, I think they're built in Texas, I'd appreciate it. You can PM me if you want to keep it private.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-31-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've made contact with about 4 dealers in this area about a new Tundra Limited. Nobody has any in the double cab configuration that I want. They have vehicles listed on their websites but when you make human contact they tell you those vehicles are not available as they have buyers already. Their listed inventory is just a come on to get perspective buyers. I actually stopped by one dealer that had inventory on the website but there wasn't a single truck on the lot.

I was just doing the math on a trade and I didn't see a yuge problem with prices. KBB lists my 4R 3K over what I paid for it 2 years ago. If dealers are selling at MSRP, which I think they are, they're going to make profit on both the vehicle they sell and my trade. Used to be before the perfect storm you could easily get a vehicle for $500 over dealer cost but I seriously doubt you could do that today. But the fact that a dealer is going to pay KBB for a trade puts you right back in the game. Low mileage used is pretty close to new MSRP these days. The only reason I can think of to buy used is they actually may have something you want on the lot.

I know I'm not going to find a truck to buy anytime soon. We're getting close to the new model year and Toyota has a brand new redesigned Tundra. They may not want to put resources into building the current model for a few more months. Hence no inventory. Most people now are just going to wait for the 2022 to land.

If anyone has any insight on 2021 current model production, I think they're built in Texas, I'd appreciate it. You can PM me if you want to keep it private.
    Yes, Tundras are built in beautiful San Antonio TX.

I'll keep my gas hog V8 and pass on the 2022's turbo V6, thanks. So that might be another reason to look at a used Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Yes, Tundras are built in beautiful San Antonio TX.

I'll keep my gas hog V8 and pass on the 2022's turbo V6, thanks. So that might be another reason to look at a used Tundra.
    My dealer says I can have a new 2021 in Oct. I have a deposit on one that is supposed to be delivered at that time. Who knows if that will happen. It's a bit like a lottery. I'm not going to be upset if I don't get one, I'll just keep my 4R. I just took it over Stevens pass today for about 350 miles and no complaints. I sure would like to have a another pickup though, but it has to be a V8.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I bought a 2020 Ranger 4x4 last month.

Buying is no fun right now. No inventory, high prices, and 2hat is available (used) is often junk. I looked at a lot of rusted out 1-2 year old cars. It seems the market had incebtivized everyone to flip their junk.

With that said, buying new wasnt really an option. Dealers wouldnt deal on inventory and new orders were 14+weeks with no guarantees.

The best deals I saw were on CarMax and Carvana. If you're willing to spend $2-300 to ship a car you can find some good deals on lightly used vehicles. My ranger is a 2020 model with 6000 miles, no accidents, no flood damage, etc. I paid $350 to ship it from northern Louisiana. Purchase price was $8.5k under MSRP for the same spec 2021 model. On top of that there weren't additional BS dealer fees. The list price was the sale price plus state taxes and fees.

The whole process took ~ 1.5 weeks but I only risked the delivery fee. The truck was reserved for me to inspect when it arrived locally. I spent about 2 weeks watching inventory nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

It makes no sense at all to get a 2021 Tundra with the new 2022 twin turbo right around the corner.
    #RESIST

User Tag List