Page 26 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It makes no sense at all to get a 2021 Tundra with the new 2022 twin turbo right around the corner.
    ...and the 2023 Ranger is expected to be announced soon. The current US market ranger is the 2011+ Euro version. This is a complete redesign for all markets. There's heavy speculation a Raptor variant will be available in the US, although probably not at first launch. Maybe with the same motor as the Explorer ST, but nothing confirmed.

Euro left hand drive version teaser:

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It makes no sense at all to get a 2021 Tundra with the new 2022 twin turbo right around the corner.
    I have a friend that keeps saying these kinds of things re: the new GM trucks that I posted above.

Most of the truck makers have at least some sort of improvements, if not full redesigns, for 2022 on the internet right now. I'd say that in order from most to least extreme changes they go:
    1. Ford
    2. RAM
    3. GM
    4. Toyota

But it's irrelevant if they can't get said new trucks onto dealer lots.

AND, the longer this goes on, the longer it's going to take to fix. All this pent up demand is going to burst from the seams when everyone actually starts shipping new trucks in 2023. Look at what's happened, and is happening, with travel. Everyone rushed out as soon as they were unlocked, and that resulted in a higher-than-pandemic demand, arguably a higher-than-normal demand, which was met by a lower-than-ever availability of workers.

and then, the rumors about current-production vehicles sitting on factory lots waiting on chips... those are all the "old" or current designs. What happens to those when the new hotness is out, and all that old-busted is still sitting around? What *might* happen is that folks that aren't rushing to get the latest butt-warmer seats and added-failure-point electronics will get better deals on the old-busted (provided they are willing to accept some paint fade on roofs and hoods from these things sitting around for 1-2 years).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...and the 2023 Ranger is expected to be announced soon. The current US market ranger is the 2011+ Euro version. This is a complete redesign for all markets. There's heavy speculation a Raptor variant will be available in the US, although probably not at first launch. Maybe with the same motor as the Explorer ST, but nothing confirmed.

Euro left hand drive version teaser:

A true Ranger ST would be pretty neat. I keep lamenting the availability of a true performance street truck. Give me my damn 2022 Syclone goddamnit!

I don't "need" long-travel suspension at the grocery store, but I'd sure love some get-up-and-go on those S Florida on-ramps!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A true Ranger ST would be pretty neat. I keep lamenting the availability of a true performance street truck. Give me my damn 2022 Syclone goddamnit!

I don't "need" long-travel suspension at the grocery store, but I'd sure love some get-up-and-go on those S Florida on-ramps!
    If Ram did a Lil Red Express, maybe with the Scat pack 6.4....I may pull a shoulder muscle reaching for my wallet. GM could do a 454SS, although the 6.2SS doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I know. That would be most peoples choice. The newer tech engine and a giant big screen on the dash so you can watch YT as you drive.

Personally I'm a little leery of first year production after a major model change. I had a bad experience with a new model GM. That was GM and this is Toyota so maybe it's different. Turbo chargers seem to be the bridge in engine technology between big block gas guzzler's and electric motors. Turbo might be fine but will probably require premium gas. We'll know in about a week.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

With an extended warranty and a dealer with loaner trucks or your own extra vehicle it might make sense.

The current Tundra don't have many problems and would be an excellent long term HT truck choice.

I have never met any service person (I do business with 30+ dealerships of all brands) who recommends the first year of any brand. Some will tell you to not buy some of their products at all (if you are not the general public).

This goes to Rob's point about unsold vehicles and new production.

I have a deposit down on an old model Tundra that's supposed to be built in Oct. Now I'm hearing the new model is already in production. As far as I know there is only one Toyota Tundra factory in TX so I'm wondering how they build two different trucks in one plant. Do they have different assembly lines? I think my chances of ever seeing a 2021 Tundra are about 50/50.

I don't think Toyota has any unsold trucks like Ford. They shut down most of their vehicle assembly to keep their truck plant running. I think Ford just stacked them up without chips in hopes chip production would increase. I don't think it did so they might have a fire sale soon. What do they call that, "new old stock"?
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know. That would be most peoples choice. The newer tech engine and a giant big screen on the dash.

Personally I'm a little leery of first year production after a major model change.
    This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm more concerned about old and proven vs new and shiny.

I realize that new cars have new car warranties but I keep my cars far longer and often buy used. So to that I don't trust turbos. Besides my current car is an 07 and I can't imagine needing extra buttons or touch screens when I don't use half of what I already have. Haven't changed the radio station in 15 years, CD player never used, same for the sun roof. In fact my last 3 cars had sun roofs that I never touched. I bought the car and it happened to have that option. I'm actually kinda pissed that my 4x4 switch is electronic and not a manual floor shifter.

I'd gladly take the old 4.7 GX or Tundra over anything new. Even an old XJ with the 4ltr straight 6. Lincoln Town car/Gr. marquis/Crown Vic.

I'm not as old as I this makes me sound. I just don't understand a lot of the reasoning behind the new tech. What an I integrating? Why? When and how often am I actually going to use it? My electronics to reliability ratio peaked around late 90s -early 00s. [emoji16]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm more concerned about old and proven vs new and shiny.

I realize that new cars have new car warranties but I keep my cars far longer and often buy used. So to that I don't trust turbos. Besides my current car is an 07 and I can't imagine needing extra buttons or touch screens when I don't use half of what I already have. Haven't changed the radio station in 15 years, CD player never used, same for the sun roof. In fact my last 3 cars had sun roofs that I never touched. I bought the car and it happened to have that option. I'm actually kinda pissed that my 4x4 switch is electronic and not a manual floor shifter.

I'd gladly take the old 4.7 GX or Tundra over anything new. Even an old XJ with the 4ltr straight 6. Lincoln Town car/Gr. marquis/Crown Vic.

I'm not as old as I this makes me sound. I just don't understand a lot of the reasoning behind the new tech. What an I integrating? Why? When and how often am I actually going to use it? My electronics to reliability ratio peaked around late 90s -early 00s. [emoji16]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I had my 07 Chev for 12 years. It's a shocker what can go TU in that time. If it's a bad design, which it was, it will be a money pit even with low mileage. My truck only had 120K on it when I sold it. Should have dumped it when the warranty was up or just kept a perpetual extended warranty. Those get expensive also.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-14-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I
    Turbo might be fine but will probably require premium gas.
    Direct injection helps cool pistons, I am amazed that (both) my turbo Fords can run regular. Though I do not think it makes sense and I run midgrade in the truck and 93 in the car.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List