Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 624

Thread: Trucks

  1. #1

    Trucks

    I've got a case of new truckitis and wanted to bounce some ideas. I currently have a 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 with 95,000 miles and a 2012 Subaru Outback with 60,000 miles. I'm the second owner of the Sierra bought it in 2005 with 20,000 miles and got the Outback new. I bought the Outback when I wanted a new truck but couldn't find anything I could justify buying.

    The Outback has been my daily driver, the truck just gets used to run errands and if bad thunderstorms are forecast. I recently drove the truck for a week after some headlight issues with the Outback and forgot how much I loved a truck. This rekindled relationship has me looking at trucks again. I figure I have $25-30k in trade in/sale value plus I'd drop a second insurance to save a little.

    If I get a truck main use will be a daily driver, I have a 20 mile commute each way. It'll do some light hauling duty around the house but nothing too extreme, probably will not do much if any towing. Base requirements on the truck are 4 doors and 4 wheel drive.

    Here's what I've come up with, I'd love any opinions:

    1. Stay away from dealerships and off the internet for a couple months until this passes. By far the most fiscally responsible.

    2. Put some money into the 03. Mainly looking at technology updates maybe some creature comforts. Not sure how much I'd want to spend on a 15 year old truck approaching 100k.

    3. Get a new Tacoma. I'm looking at the TRD off road or TRD pro. I've loved the Tacomas since I was young but $35-45k seems mighty high for a midsize truck.

    4. Look at a new full size truck, either Ford, GM or Tundra. Haven't gotten too deep into this but the couple I've built have been $50k.

    5. Get a Raptor. I've wanted one since they came out but honestly I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a truck.

  2. #2
    Member Luke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Alabama
    Of
    Your truck is a 4 door and 4 wheel drive and in as good of shape as I would think at under 100,000 miles then your probably sitting on a gold mine. Sell that truck to a kid in high school for $16,000 and buy you a new one!
    i used to wannabe

  3. #3
    Say screw it, go with what you want which is choice #5. You will stir jealousy, and envy. Young men and teens will ogle your truck and compliment you....and older married guys will be jealous that you could.

    I love mine and glad I spent the money. Heck....I am already planning my next one in a few years when this one goes into vacation home duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

  4. #4
    Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    GM is throwing a lot of money on trucks to try to move some iron until 1/3.

  5. #5
    Site Supporter ubervic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I've got a case of new truckitis and wanted to bounce some ideas. I currently have a 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 with 95,000 miles and a 2012 Subaru Outback with 60,000 miles. I'm the second owner of the Sierra bought it in 2005 with 20,000 miles and got the Outback new. I bought the Outback when I wanted a new truck but couldn't find anything I could justify buying.

    The Outback has been my daily driver, the truck just gets used to run errands and if bad thunderstorms are forecast. I recently drove the truck for a week after some headlight issues with the Outback and forgot how much I loved a truck. This rekindled relationship has me looking at trucks again. I figure I have $25-30k in trade in/sale value plus I'd drop a second insurance to save a little.

    If I get a truck main use will be a daily driver, I have a 20 mile commute each way. It'll do some light hauling duty around the house but nothing too extreme, probably will not do much if any towing. Base requirements on the truck are 4 doors and 4 wheel drive.

    Here's what I've come up with, I'd love any opinions:

    1. Stay away from dealerships and off the internet for a couple months until this passes. By far the most fiscally responsible.

    2. Put some money into the 03. Mainly looking at technology updates maybe some creature comforts. Not sure how much I'd want to spend on a 15 year old truck approaching 100k.

    3. Get a new Tacoma. I'm looking at the TRD off road or TRD pro. I've loved the Tacomas since I was young but $35-45k seems mighty high for a midsize truck.

    4. Look at a new full size truck, either Ford, GM or Tundra. Haven't gotten too deep into this but the couple I've built have been $50k.

    5. Get a Raptor. I've wanted one since they came out but honestly I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a truck.
    Can't tell why/how you need a new vehicle or why it must be a truck.

    What is your lifestyle relative to operating a vehicle and/or traveling?
    Average roadway/terrain that you must or wish to travel?
    What is your budget?
    What mpg requirement, or other requirement?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas
    I'd either go Raptor, or put on the big boy pants and wait for the wantitis to pass. You're talking about spending close to Raptor money anyways.

    Trucks are outrageously expensive and if you're not using it as a truck your spending a lot of money on unneeded capabilities.
    Last edited by txdpd; 12-24-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

  7. #7
    Accused M&P Cultist Joe in PNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Papua New Guinea; formerly Florida
    Taco, and keep it for 20 years.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Of
    Your truck is a 4 door and 4 wheel drive and in as good of shape as I would think at under 100,000 miles then your probably sitting on a gold mine. Sell that truck to a kid in high school for $16,000 and buy you a new one!
    Truck is in good shape, couple paint chips, no rust, never wrecked, interior is good except for the leather cracking on the drivers arm rest. It is an extended cab with the 2 hidden doors but not a true 4 door. That is one of the few things I don't like about the truck that I can't fix with money.

    Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Can't tell why/how you need a new vehicle or why it must be a truck.

    What is your lifestyle relative to operating a vehicle and/or traveling?
    Average roadway/terrain that you must or wish to travel?
    What is your budget?
    What mpg requirement, or other requirement?
    I don't NEED a new vehicle this is purely a case of the wants after remembering how much I liked a truck. I grew up driving a truck. I figure right now I have $25k in steel and rubber I could put toward new steel and rubber.

    I'm a pretty light driver 99% of the time will be commuter use around town majority is highway during the week. There will be some light off road work hauling kayaks, going to the range, going to obstacle races, etc. My parents also live off of a dirt road. Budget is honestly only limited by what I'm willing to spend which usually isn't as much as what they want for a new truck. The higher the gas mileage the better since I'm putting 200-300 miles a week but it's so far down the list it's not worth mentioning. Almost all road trips would be in a different vehicle.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    DFW

    Trucks

    Get the Raptor. Find a '12 or '13 with low miles. And drive the daylight out of it. The '17s are starting at $49K last I heard so a used one would be right up your alley.

    Mines a '10 and I love it.
    Also, this is the one you drive to lunch in the '11 TLG class.








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jackdog; 12-24-2016 at 10:36 PM.

  10. #10
    THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West
    I am a die hard Toyota guy but these Ford Raptors are giving me impure thoughts. On Xmas eve no less. For shame!

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •