Page 78 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    If anybody learns anything first hand about the new Colorado Trail Boss I would love to hear it.

I have read and watched many reviews. Out of the box it is nothing more or nothing less than how I would want such a truck set up.

I am down to it or the very proven Taco TRD off road package, which would be a safer, albeit more expensive choice for what I want.
    I'll be looking at them. I am waiting for the Ranger and Tacoma to come out before I do anything though. Just eyeballing everything I think I'd like a Ranger with the 2.7L. Waiting to see if they make a tremor. Info about the new Tacoma is supposed to land next week.

I'm a simple guy I guess.

But I got new wheels and tires. So, I'm happy.

Name:  20230508_090234.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  99.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I was curious enough about the ‘24 Ranger to go see what C&D had to say.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/ranger

The ‘garage’ comment resonates. My current 1500 currently has to sit outside our supposedly 20x20.

Any real life experience with the Ford turbo I4?

I’m not really a truck guy, just needed one for towing.
    I think the 2.3 Ecoboost is my favorite thing about my Ranger. It always has enough power and averages good fuel economy. My average is sitting at 21.5 MPG over the last 15,000 miles for a Lariat FX4 model.

Towing has been good as well. I pulled a 19ft boat a few weeks ago and the little truck did great. Id estimate around 3500# load. Power and brakes were great, ride was a bit bumpy due to being on a single axle trailer. I averaged 13.5 MPG for that trip which knocks the cruising range down to just over 200 miles though.

The 2.3L does well enough that I'm not sure I'd bother with the 2.7 V6. Ford isnt rating the 2.7 any better for towing and it doesnt get a larger fuel tank.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I think the 2.3 Ecoboost is my favorite thing about my Ranger. It always has enough power and averages good fuel economy. My average is sitting at 21.5 MPG over the last 15,000 miles for a Lariat FX4 model.

Towing has been good as well. I pulled a 19ft boat a few weeks ago and the little truck did great. Id estimate around 3500# load. Power and brakes were great, ride was a bit bumpy due to being on a single axle trailer. I averaged 13.5 MPG for that trip which knocks the cruising range down to just over 200 miles though.

The 2.3L does well enough that I'm not sure I'd bother with the 2.7 V6. Ford isnt rating the 2.7 any better for towing and it doesnt get a larger fuel tank.
    I'm right around the same on mileage with the XLT/FX4 (about 10-15# heavier "all terrain" tires compared to the regular 17" tires), I don't think I'd see much benefit to the 2.7 either. I agree on the 2.3 being at a sweet spot as far as power and mileage and the 10R80 helps a lot too.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I was wondering about the V6.

I understand about the fuel tank, too. My 2009 E92 M3 had the same size tank as the normal 3 series; but with the V8 I was stopping to get gas every 150-200 miles. It was a pain in the rear to fuel up so often. I've come to really value the larger 33 gallon tank that the previous owner selected for my Ram 1500.

But at this point I'm not in the market anyway, since we need the truck to move this fall. Our new place in Ocala should be ready by August / September, and with our current lease expiring in December, we will have several weeks to shuttle our boxed stuff in the truck. A full size pickup can swallow a lot of cargo. And even after that, I am not sure I'd replace it. Even getting better gas mileage than 14mpg if I switched to a compact truck, I'd have to run it several years before I was able to recoup the fuel savings by flipping the truck for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I was wondering about the V6.

I understand about the fuel tank, too. My 2009 E92 M3 had the same size tank as the normal 3 series; but with the V8 I was stopping to get gas every 150-200 miles. It was a pain in the rear to fuel up so often. I've come to really value the larger 33 gallon tank that the previous owner selected for my Ram 1500.

But at this point I'm not in the market anyway, since we need the truck to move this fall. Our new place in Ocala should be ready by August / September, and with our current lease expiring in December, we will have several weeks to shuttle our boxed stuff in the truck. A full size pickup can swallow a lot of cargo. And even after that, I am not sure I'd replace it. Even getting better gas mileage than 14mpg if I switched to a compact truck, I'd have to run it several years before I was able to recoup the fuel savings by flipping the truck for a new one.
    Its a fools errand to buy a compact pickup as a money saving thing. I went to the Ranger from a Tundra so I could park it in the garage.

Occasionally I miss the larger cab and bed of the Tundra, but man do I love not scraping the sap, pollen, leaves, etc. off the windshield of the Ranger. I also love being able to load it up for a range day or hunting trip the night before departure and have it safely locked in the garage.

One of the things I miss about living alone and owning a house with a two-car garage and a tacoma was being able to load up the night before, but even more so pulling in after a long hot day if shooting and just saying “fucj it” until the next day!

And when you live alone and you open the door from the house to the garage for a good half hour before you load(unload nobody yells at you haha.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Its a fools errand to buy a compact pickup as a money saving thing. I went to the Ranger from a Tundra so I could park it in the garage.

Occasionally I miss the larger cab and bed of the Tundra, but man do I love not scraping the sap, pollen, leaves, etc. off the windshield of the Ranger. I also love being able to load it up for a range day or hunting trip the night before departure and have it safely locked in the garage.
    Oh, for sure. Main reason for even pondering smaller vehicle is if my Ram does/does not fit in our new garage. It doesn't in our current house, which is supposed to be "20x20" size garage. Problem is the Water Heater is there also, complicating things. Oh and plus the garage door itself takes up about 2-3" from the stiffening ribs. I've actually tried to pull the truck in, all the way to the back wall (I mean, like 1") and I don't see how there's clearance. For the house we sold in Nokomis, I opted for the 4' extension, I don't have that option on the one in Ocala, you get what you get. Meh; first world problems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One of the things I miss about living alone and owning a house with a two-car garage and a tacoma was being able to load up the night before, but even more so pulling in after a long hot day if shooting and just saying “fucj it” until the next day!

And when you live alone and you open the door from the house to the garage for a good half hour before you load(unload nobody yells at you haha.
    I felt this one in my soul. Especially that last part. Lol
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I must have gotten lucky my Raptor just barely fits in my garage with the extended front bumper. The bumper is touching the front wall and I have about a foot of clearance between my rear bumper and garage door. It’s full but it fits. When the truck is out and the Jeep TJ is in the garage I am amazed at all the room.

User Tag List