Page 33 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If one needs to tow distance or carry loads near what a 1500 can do I think electric is not the current answer.

Early adapters will be the testing group.

For short range work vehicles electric should work with less costs.

For how most use a half ton (like a commuter car) electric should be fine.
    I think this last part is important to keep in mind. The vast majority of trucks don’t get used like “trucks”. God knows mine doesn’t. Go check the Raptor thread on this forum and look for dirt on the tires.

For the way I use a truck, and basically everyone I know uses a truck, electric *should* be fine. I say *should* because we really don’t know yet..

For truck stuff at least Ford and Chev have built trucks for years.
    I think this is both good and bad. Someone up-thread asked why the front ends are still so huge, and basically your comment is why.

Rivian, on the other hand, is an example of what can happen in design when someone starts from scratch. Of course, you’re also taking a gamble in a completely new company with no experience building vehicles, so there’s that.

When you completely wipe the slate clean and start from scratch you get Canoo. I’m not saying I’d want one, but from a design perspective I can appreciate it.

Name:  9B07752B-F84C-40F5-9950-FA8C183386B7.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  40.7 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    You would think that getting rid of the gas engine would allow for a smaller profile in the front, but maybe they have a huge stack of batteries in there or aesthetics are a concern.
    I am just guessing, but I would figure it's largely due to aesthetics, wind tunnel testing, and the 'frunk' storage option. The batteries are way down low in the frame/floor-boards area.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Has a lot of the shape of the Hummer EV, I think. I can’t imagine it’s not sharing a lot of DNA.
    From what I read, it's on the Hummer platform and shares near zero with the ICE Silverado, parts-wise.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I am just guessing, but I would figure it's largely due to aesthetics
    I sure would think that market acceptance that has been consistently demonstrated almost a million times a year would be what I sure would stick with if I were selling trucks. I was one of the people that was a bit appalled when they called the Mach-E a Mustang, but that strategy seems to be working for them. I think in this case they have a buttload of people that buy F-150s, they can simply give people the option to buy one that plug into their garage, without forcing any funky styling into the purchase decision. I think a big part of Tesla's sucess is they didn't make the S look like ass. Who wants to drop $80k on something they don't like to look at?

the 'frunk' storage option.
    A cool feature of the Ridgeline is that neato trunk under the bed, the frunk is the same, and is a byproduct of the thing looking like your neighbor's F-150.

The batteries are way down low in the frame/floor-boards area.
    When all this started I thought an electric truck would be the dumbest thing ever, but it is probably a perfect fit. Everyplace the transmission and fuel tank and driveshaft and exhaust system went makes room for batteries, the weight is down low and nobody expects their truck to be light.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I've been more than pleased with my 18 Nissan Titan.

Saw my first Rivian out in the wild today when walking the dogs. I wanted to like it but was not impressed - aside from the aesthetics, the sound of the doors closing was 1980s tinny and it whirs very very loudly even when "idling."Name:  PXL_20220108_212153403.MP~2.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  77.3 KBName:  PXL_20220108_212133028~2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  66.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Saw my first Rivian out in the wild today when walking the dogs. I wanted to like it but was not impressed - aside from the aesthetics, the sound of the doors closing was 1980s tinny and it whirs very very loudly ....
    I'm not a fan of the grille.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm not a fan of the grille.
    I hope they offer different color inserts for the light thingys. Those don’t go with my purse.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The other thing that I dont understand is why the front of these trucks are so big. You would think that getting rid of the gas engine would allow for a smaller profile in the front, but maybe they have a huge stack of batteries in there or aesthetics are a concern.
    Branding. Gotta look like a regular truck, not to mention cost of tooling and whatnot for a new look.
    #RESIST

A revolution will be an electric truck that isn't 30% more than an ICE truck

The next RAM motor will be a turbo inline 6

User Tag List